Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have washed my Solstice two times now and both times I noticed when I removed the drivers side carpered floor mat, it was wet along the left edge. I also felt the carpet along the edge of the floorboard which was also wet. I looked for signs of water running from the top down to the floor boards and couldn't find anything. I'm guessing it had to be 2 or 3 ounces of water to make it as wet as it was. I'm using a hose and just letting the water flow over the car and not using any high pressure. Next time I need to wash it, I'll get the wife to hose it down and I'll sit inside and watch what happens. I don't want to take it back to the dealer at this point because I doubt they have any experience with this car since it was their first one and I don't want them learning and experimenting with mine. Has any other owner seen this? You might not notice unless you pulled out the floor mat and checked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Had similar probs with my vette...the water was coming in the back seal down behind the seat and into passenger foot well. hard to find as carpet behind seat was not wet. Just a note the 95 vette roof system looks to be the same as Solstice only no humps. Lift roof and put baby powder on the car LOTS both sides of where rear seal touches the car. Then lock down roof and go thru wash you should see a leak quickly if there is one.

good luck took me a long time to find my first one hope this helps


PS hose may not work as it may take the pressure of car wash to push past any rubber seal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
SOL189 said:
I have washed my Solstice two times now and both times I noticed when I removed the drivers side carpered floor mat, it was wet along the left edge. I also felt the carpet along the edge of the floorboard which was also wet. I looked for signs of water running from the top down to the floor boards and couldn't find anything. I'm guessing it had to be 2 or 3 ounces of water to make it as wet as it was. I'm using a hose and just letting the water flow over the car and not using any high pressure. Next time I need to wash it, I'll get the wife to hose it down and I'll sit inside and watch what happens. I don't want to take it back to the dealer at this point because I doubt they have any experience with this car since it was their first one and I don't want them learning and experimenting with mine. Has any other owner seen this? You might not notice unless you pulled out the floor mat and checked.
Sounds like a door or window seal problem. Your wife might be able to spot a window area leak but I doubt she will be able to see a door leak. Check around the door seals and see if the inside edge of the seal and door is wet anywhere. Just an idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
SOL189 said:
I have washed my Solstice two times now and both times I noticed when I removed the drivers side carpered floor mat, it was wet along the left edge. I also felt the carpet along the edge of the floorboard which was also wet. I looked for signs of water running from the top down to the floor boards and couldn't find anything. I'm guessing it had to be 2 or 3 ounces of water to make it as wet as it was. I'm using a hose and just letting the water flow over the car and not using any high pressure. Next time I need to wash it, I'll get the wife to hose it down and I'll sit inside and watch what happens. I don't want to take it back to the dealer at this point because I doubt they have any experience with this car since it was their first one and I don't want them learning and experimenting with mine. Has any other owner seen this? You might not notice unless you pulled out the floor mat and checked.
it rained real hard here last night and today when i was looking for the mysterious screw that tally was talking about i felt the carpet was soaking wet in the same place as you describe. i'll have to try the baby powder thing to find the source i guess...
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
OBXSOL said:
it rained real hard here last night and today when i was looking for the mysterious screw that tally was talking about i felt the carpet was soaking wet in the same place as you describe. i'll have to try the baby powder thing to find the source i guess...
:eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
I am woundering if this issue has to do with the way owners are closing their convertible tops, you MOST do this with the windows partialy down or all the way down then raise the windows to make the seal.
GM did a lot of testing on this car for leak problems, so I find it strange that this is happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Great suggestion I know that can be a problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
...so naive

LatinVenom said:
GM did a lot of testing on this car for leak problems, so I find it strange that this is happening.
I have had two convertibles and know others who have had them as well. I sent my first one back over and over for "fixes". Bottom line...carry a towel. THEY ALL LEAK SOMETIME. Some worse than others. They have no gutters, they have seals that connect and rub and reconnect. Do the best you can, but don't expect to be drip free.
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
:agree: British sports car floors rusted out from the inside for this very reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LatinVenom said:
I am woundering if this issue has to do with the way owners are closing their convertible tops, you MOST do this with the windows partialy down or all the way down then raise the windows to make the seal.
GM did a lot of testing on this car for leak problems, so I find it strange that this is happening.
When I put the top up, I leave both doors open, open the trunk lid, lift and pull the top forward, snap down the buttresses, latch the front and then close the doors and trunk. Lowering the windows, closing the top and raising the windows to make the seal as no advantage over just leaving the doors open because you have to open the door to get out. I followed the instructions precicesly as outlined in the manual and the cheat sheet they put in the glove compartment. It says nothing about lowering windows. That makes more sense when you have an automatic top and stay in the car for lowering and raising a top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Orange Peel Effect On Vin #147.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is the quality control at Pontiac? I was set to purchase VIN #147 this afternoon from a Chicagoland dealer. Upon inspecting the vehicle, there were scratches and swirl marks all over the black mysterious paint. As I TOOK A FINAL WALK AROUND THE SOLSTICE, I NOTICED an orange haze on the front wheel weel. I immediately pointed this out to the finance manager. He informed the dealer about the orange haze on VIN #147. Sadly, this dealer did not want to correct the problem. Further, this dealer stated Pontiac produces and paints the Solstices in this manner. This dealer was unwilling to correct the defective paint or make some remedy. The dealer said too bad, take the car or leave it. Obviously, Pontiac quality control missed the paint on VIN#147. Needless to say, this Sosltice will not be in my garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
SolsticeNot said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is the quality control at Pontiac? I was set to purchase VIN #147 this afternoon from a Chicagoland dealer. Upon inspecting the vehicle, there were scratches and swirl marks all over the black mysterious paint. As I TOOK A FINAL WALK AROUND THE SOLSTICE, I NOTICED an orange haze on the front wheel weel. I immediately pointed this out to the finance manager. He informed the dealer about the orange haze on VIN #147. Sadly, this dealer did not want to correct the problem. Further, this dealer stated Pontiac produces and paints the Solstices in this manner. This dealer was unwilling to correct the defective paint or make some remedy. The dealer said too bad, take the car or leave it. Obviously, Pontiac quality control missed the paint on VIN#147. Needless to say, this Sosltice will not be in my garage.
How many times are you going to post this? How many afternoons were you set to purchase this car? Three posts, all the same. What does that tell me? Your name tells me everything I need to know. :yawn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
RichSol said:
I have had two convertibles and know others who have had them as well. I sent my first one back over and over for "fixes". Bottom line...carry a towel. THEY ALL LEAK SOMETIME. Some worse than others. They have no gutters, they have seals that connect and rub and reconnect. Do the best you can, but don't expect to be drip free.
:cool:
As a manufacturer I would be glad you think that way, one less customer complaint. As an owner of a brand new roadster I'd be pretty P.O.'d that my car leaked when it rains.

In comparison I hear/read about very few S2000's that have any issues with leaking. I've owned mine for four years and unless you spray high pressure water right between the window and the weather stripping the car NEVER leaks.

This is 2005 man, I would hope that GM can engineer weather seals that don't leak but I guess we'll see, with a few owners already complaining let's hope this is not a widespread problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
OBXSOL said:
it rained real hard here last night and today when i was looking for the mysterious screw that tally was talking about i felt the carpet was soaking wet in the same place as you describe. i'll have to try the baby powder thing to find the source i guess...
:eek: :nono:

you left your baby out in the rain! serves you right :cuss:

j/k - that sucks, I hope you guys figure out where the water is coming from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Del-Utz posted a message about some issues he had on delivery, which the dealer took care of. One was the seal around the windows. Apparently there is a fix from GM for the dealers, that has a small rubber tube inside the window molding. This makes the window seal better.
I will see if I can find that thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Wet Carpets

This is day 4 with my new Solstice nr 843. Yesterday I got caught in a midwest thunderstorm. If it wheren't for the temperary protective paper floor mats I would not have noticed the wet carpet. Only the passenger side took on water from the middle of the door opening forward along the right seem of the threshold. The carpet was quite wet, as if someone poured a full glass of water along the right edge of the compartment. From the posts so far, the best assumption is the seal for the convertible top is not tight. My pontiac dealer wants to run it through his car wash and see if he can figure how the water is getting in. Like a previous post, I don't like the idea of them experimenting on my car. But, I do have to admit that they are treating me like royality, so I'll comply to their efforts in making the Solstice water tight . Many senario's go racing through my head like misplaced gaskets during assembly, or my dealer drilling holes into the door panals to fill it with foam to stop the leaks. Has anybody out there fixed the problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Eastocean said:
Del-Utz posted a message about some issues he had on delivery, which the dealer took care of. One was the seal around the windows. Apparently there is a fix from GM for the dealers, that has a small rubber tube inside the window molding. This makes the window seal better.
I will see if I can find that thread.
My problem is wind noise related, not water leaking, I haven't had a water problem. They are going to replace the seals on both sides of the car, the tube is a temp. fix, don't know if that could be the water problem, may be another synptom of it though. Good luck and let us know what your dealer says.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
Water problems happen with all cars, even those that aren't first year vehicles. My Dad was the foreman of the body shop at my local GM dealership for 27 years and he saw lots of leaks. It wasn't uncommon for one of us (I worked there during high school and college summers) to be on our back under a dash with someone else pouring water on the outside of the car. We even had to go inside the trunks and have the same thing done. Since all of the Solstices aren't experiencing the problem, I would guess it is something that can be adjusted or a weatherstripping that can be replaced. Remember guys, these are convertibles and they don't seal the same as a hard top. Sometimes you can get water, or noise that blows past a seal.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top