Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone im new the the forum and im looking for some info on putting a water/ meth kit on my gxp that I have a trifecta budget tune on..iv done a lot of searching on this topic and cant find to much.. has anyone done this or know if it is worth doing? what kind of hp gains are expected if so.. Thanks for the help guy's

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
If E85 is available in your area, I would recommend that first. Also, if you run meth, you will want to have your tune adjusted to take the most advantage by upgrading to the premium tune. It will run rich without added benefit of upping boost or timing without changing your tune.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Like BrentnKC said, you will need to have the tune adjusted to take advantages of the water-meth but after that's done you should see a pretty good gain.
And after you install it and decide you want to take it up a notch you can always add some nitro meth :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info I will post pictures and dyno results after installation and re tuning

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
install cooling mist kit. I used the windshield reservoir as a tank. will be retuning it on Friday will post pictures and video of results

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just curious...why did you install it pre-intercooler? I've always put meth kits after the IC to stop pooling in the intercooler.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Just curious...why did you install it pre-intercooler? I've always put meth kits after the IC to stop pooling in the intercooler.
Looks like it's after the intercooler just before the throttle body. :lurk:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
sorrry forgot to update your guys on what numbers I put down after returning. Running 24 psi 327 hp and 348 torque. Trifecta gave me a dual tune so I could switch to competitive mode to used my meth and the budget tune for normal driving. Only downside is first gear is almost un usable. So now looking into some suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Here is my dyno sheet on my old GXP with meth. I have the kit to put on my new one as well just haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
those numbers look good. Very similar to E85 right? Can you run both E85 and meth? What is downside to meth? run out of meth, engine blows? teeth fall out? The water/meth is not expensive is it? I mean, some run washer fluid don't they?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I run pre mix fluid called devils own since I'm just to lazy to mix it and it's exactly the same every time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Juspimpin. They are Almost the same you can get a little more power out of e85 but I went with water meth because there is only 2 gas stations around where I live that sell it and I didn't want to be locked to 2 gas stations..yes if your pump fails you can blow up your engine but hopefully your knock sensor will retarded your timing so you only get detention once...e85 and meth do the same thing they both get your octane up around 115 or so so u have a slow and smooth burn so u can increase boost and timing and not get detention.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Water/Methanol kit by AEM with GT-2871 Turbo

Hi everyone im new the the forum and im looking for some info on putting a water/ meth kit on my gxp that I have a trifecta budget tune on..iv done a lot of searching on this topic and cant find to much.. has anyone done this or know if it is worth doing? what kind of hp gains are expected if so.. Thanks for the help guy's
I can't speak to adding only a Water/Methanol only kit as I had mine installed by DDM in conjunction with the BNR Garrett 2871 Turbo. Properly tuned, this combination gives me a reliable 375 whp with no signs of knock or detonation. I strongly recommend the AEM Gauge/pump/controller combo because of the safeguards it contains. Loss of pressure, desired flow, etc. will immediately dump your boost to keep you from scattering your engine.

The two biggest benefits of water/meth injection are a) significantly reducing cylinder temp due to the atomized water and b) your 93 octane gas becomes something more like 105 octane. It's still difficult for me to understand the relative octane level so I would recommend reading the documentation on the AEM site.

Disclaimer: Adding water/meth injection simply added to a Trifecta budget tune may yield no performance increase or even a decrease in performance. Mine is set up to start spraying at 11 lbs of boost and very quickly ramps up to 350 grams/sec spray. Setting this up is not trivial and I strongly recommend you have Vince at Trifecta, Dave at DDM or Performance Autowerks modify your tune. If you heed this advice, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts