Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I have a 2009 GXP2.0. Looking for advice. I took it in to have the water pump and thermostat replaced when I picked it up the trans would not cone out of first. I brought it back of course and they said I need to take it to a transmission shop! There wasn’t anything wrong with my trans when I brought it in. Is this a common thing? Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Water pump replacement is relatively common, but transmissions being stuck in first is rather rare.

Can you be more detailed about what is happening? Is this a manual or automatic? I am guessing automatic.

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
Have you ever had work performed at this shop before ? The work you had done should not have any effect on the transmission . Did you note the mileage on the car before you took it in ? I hate to sound negative but I've been around cars for more years than I care to remember and I've heard more than one story about employees taking the car out for a "spin " and needless to say they don't drive it like you do . I hope this is not the case and this is just a coincidence .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All! I have a 2009 GXP2.0. Looking for advice. I took it in to have the water pump and thermostat replaced when I picked it up the trans would not cone out of first. I brought it back of course and they said I need to take it to a transmission shop! There wasn’t anything wrong with my trans when I brought it in. Is this a common thing? Thank you in advance.
This is an automatic with 80k mi. Unfortunately, I did not check the mileage prior to dropping it off. The repair shop I took it to came highly recommended but this was my first time with them. I had a mechanic in Ga where I lived for 6 years then had to move to Indiana 2 years ago. I have been told there are not any good trans shops in the area. Should I take it to the dealership?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you ever had work performed at this shop before ? The work you had done should not have any effect on the transmission . Did you note the mileage on the car before you took it in ? I hate to sound negative but I've been around cars for more years than I care to remember and I've heard more than one story about employees taking the car out for a "spin " and needless to say they don't drive it like you do . I hope this is not the case and this is just a coincidence .
Thank you I am new to this forum so I appreciate your input. I did not check the mileage and yes it is an automatic in great condition! It just wont go faster then 15 mph. the old mechanic said it would not come out of first they said they replaced the first to second celanoid but that did not fix the problem they also said that it wasn’t throwing any codes and they recommended I take it to a transmission shop. So I picked it up.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Search "transmission suckage" at the top of the site and read on . . . all you'll ever need to know. It may not have your solution, but it will give you some ideas of what to look for, either on your own or at the trans shop.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
I cannot check it until this evening, but the service manual will have some extensive troubleshooting for this type of thing.

Since it worked before, I would ask the shop to detail everything that they touched. Something that they did caused this prolem, and it could just be a connector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Search "transmission suckage" at the top of the site and read on . . . all you'll ever need to know. It may not have your solution, but it will give you some ideas of what to look for, either on your own or at the trans shop.
Thank you I will fo that,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cannot check it until this evening, but the service manual will have some extensive troubleshooting for this type of thing.

Since it worked before, I would ask the shop to detail everything that they touched. Something that they did caused this prolem, and it could just be a connector.
Thank you very much!

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Thank you very much!
I neglected to post last night, but i did look the problem up and the only causes listed are the 1-2 solenoid, and internal valve, and the solenoid connector. There are at least two connectors, one on the transmission and another on the TCM (Transmission Control Module). There may be an interim harness connector, but I just realized that I forgot to check for one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts