Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my water pump on my 2009 GXP broke.:( I only have 32,000 miles on it. Is this a common thing? The bill would have been over $900.00 but thank goodness I had bought the extended warrantee.:) I also had free towing with my car insurance. :):)

I am amazed that I am still waiting for the part for the recall. Since it was so important to GM you would think the parts could come faster.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Yes very common. Do a search and you'll find many threads and posts on this.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Yes, this is very common. Especially on the GXP. To lessen the chances of this happening in the future, have the coolant flushed every 24k or 2 years, whichever comes first. This according to several engineers here on the forum. What happens over time is that the coolant “balls” up and creates issues with the seals. GM has redesigned the WP several times. There are special procedures as well for replacing the pump. If these instructions are not followed, it will create a very nasty whine from the motor and cause the dealer to pull the front of your motor off to get it fixed. Basically the self tensioner for the timing chain tightens itself (if the sprocket holder isn’t used in the WP replacement) and puts stress on all the bearings, thus causing the whine. In order to fix it they have to pull the timing cover off and reset the timing chain and self tensioner.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information--it makes me feel better. My car had not had any problems until this--

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
To lessen the chances of this happening in the future, have the coolant flushed every 24k or 2 years, whichever comes first. This according to several engineers here on the forum.
This is news to me, but I miss more threads than I read on the forum. Post some links please. Time to read up on it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was in getting an oil change on my F 150 the other day and I noticed a blue solstice up in the air in one of the bays. It was there for a water pump. He said it costs about 500 so not too terrible but he just said, keep the coolant changed and I shouldn't have any problems. He did all the work on my previous sol for 160k miles until I sold it and it never had a water pump put on it. He pulled my file and told me he changed the coolant in it about every 40k miles. So I assume there is some merit to the changing it often theory. He said that ecotec water pumps are a common fail item like suggested here.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yep, mine went out at about 31K... it was a pain in the ass to change, but all seems well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, it's very common. Mine went out 2 weeks before the warranty expired.

Bob

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Thx for trying. Linking searches doesn't work unfortunately. And I see nothing on the second link that supports the statement quoted.

Got anything?
Edited and linked individual water pump threads. If these do not work go into the forum Search feature, click on Advance Search, enter subject into Search by keyword box, and below that there is a drop down box. It gives you the options of searching entire threads or only searching thread titles. I generally choose to search by titles instead of entire threads.

Insomnia sucks.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
That I can tell, GM has changed the design on these WPs at least 7 times. From looking at the one they took off my car vs. the one they put on, it appears the original was 8 seperate pieces all pressed together. The one they put on my car last year appears to be 3 seperate pieces pressed together. There is another one that came out about 5 months ago...I haven't seen that one yet.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Thx for the info all. I went through it. I didn't find any information to back up the statement I quoted.

Originally Posted by The_Ghost
To lessen the chances of this happening in the future, have the coolant flushed every 24k or 2 years, whichever comes first. This according to several engineers here on the forum.
I found posts where there are a few members who recommend early and often coolant changes. And anecdotal stories from a few of those members regarding their techs saying similar. The ghost also mentions in a thread that he discussed it with some techs and an engineer and there was some debate. And one member was a tech and now a dealer owner.

OTOH, RTE had a lot posts and research with detailed technical information, and from what I understand his research showed the GM recommended coolant replacement interval was reasonable (150k/5yr).

I'm not seeing any info to confirm that several engineers on the forum recommend a 24k/2 year coolant change.

Interesting info on the design of the part. GM engineers have certainly not changed any coolant replacement schedule. Rather they have changed the design of the part multiple times.

It's fine to say that some members and a few anecdotal stories about their techs have recommended 24k/2 year coolant changes. But how is it justified that several engineers on the forum recommend 24k/2 year coolant changes? Many people will take the second much stronger statement much differently than the first.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Agreed, that's right up there with: "Four out of five dentists surveyed recommend that a particular toothpaste will replace worn tooth enamel." What Dentists? Where do they practice? Were they compensated for saying that?

I'm on my original water pump with 59,000 miles and original coolant. Right after learning about the water pump concerns after having purchased the car with 12,000 miles, I put a can of Prestone Water Pump Lubricant in the coolant. Still going strong. That being said, maybe Murphy's Law comes into play too. In anticipation of having to replace the pump around 30K, I purchased the proper tool and studied up on how to properly replace the pump, flush and purge the cooling system. The fact that everything seems to be fine gives me pause as to whether I should do a coolant flush and fill. As my father used to say; if it works, don't fix it.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I guess I typed wrong as I was at work in a hurry and don't have the luxury of proof reading. It should have read "this according to a few of my friends that are engineers at GM". Sorry you don't live in Detroit and have that privaledge. Do you have the post where it says that the coolant balls up as it gets older? Do you have the post where it says that the coolant then gets lodged between the seals and leaks? Do you have the one that says that if you get your operating temperature higher then normal, these balls can disingrate? Jeese man....just trying to give a new person a fighting chance of not having to do a WP like so many of us here have done.

Everything I post has been stated here before or been a discussion.

Do you have a GXP Kelly? If so do you get it above normal operating temp by driving it really hard? Do you rev it past 4k regularly? If you don't flush it now and it is a GXP, let us know how long it lasts. I'd be curious....

I know after my failure (I don't have $600 laying around, but can do $100) I will have my coolant flushed every 2 yrs or 24k..... Just sayin...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I guess I typed wrong as I was at work in a hurry and don't have the luxury of proof reading. It should have read "this according to a few of my friends that are engineers at GM". Sorry you don't live in Detroit and have that privaledge. Do you have the post where it says that the coolant balls up as it gets older? Do you have the post where it says that the coolant then gets lodged between the seals and leaks? Do you have the one that says that if you get your operating temperature higher then normal, these balls can disingrate? Jeese man....just trying to give a new person a fighting chance of not having to do a WP like so many of us here have done.

Everything I post has been stated here before or been a discussion.

Do you have a GXP Kelly? If so do you get it above normal operating temp by driving it really hard? Do you rev it past 4k regularly? If you don't flush it now and it is a GXP, let us know how long it lasts. I'd be curious....

I know after my failure (I don't have $600 laying around, but can do $100) I will have my coolant flushed every 2 yrs or 24k..... Just sayin...
I'm not in a totally straight frame to answer at the moment, but I should try to give you an initial explanation.

I'm not trying to be picky... I'm not big on doing this either but it is very important to be accurate. You may be trying to help posters, but sometimes your posts make the car sound like a complete lemon and nothing but trouble. And that doesn't help any owner on this forum. If I were a prospective buyer I'd stop looking at the solstice with some of the wrong information posted. Don't scare people with some wrong information. By all means post about your research, experience and suggestions. But take the extra minute to not pad the info or misrepresent what you are saying. Doing so does not help anyone. Give a full picture.

For example, I didn't see two engineers referenced in previous posts posted and I only mentioned the one. Am I missing something, or is the info wrong again? I don't know. I only saw you earlier mention a single engineer, with no mention of them being an automotive engineer, let alone a GM automotive engineer. The rest were techs. Yes I saw the posts on balling up, etc. The point is let's be more than somewhat accurate. It means the information is correct and people are not misled. And it is beneficial to each and everyone of us.

Something to consider. With over 26,000 members here, there still aren't that many people posting about water pump failures. And there are positive water pump stories as well, that scary negative posts ignore. I'm not a mileage guy so I can't be of help, but Urbman here has 200K miles on a stock GXP water pump (here,http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/while-i-am-94170/). The point is GM has never changed the service interval for the coolant change on the car, but they have updated the pump many times. That seems to get lost in much of the advice here to spend money on coolant changes.

The GXP has been very reliable for many people and owners of the car don't want misinformation out there so let's try to be accurate in our discussion of issues. :grouphug:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm not in a totally straight frame to answer at the moment, but I should try to give you an initial explanation.

I'm not trying to be picky... I'm not big on doing this either but it is very important to be accurate. You may be trying to help posters, but sometimes your posts make the car sound like a complete lemon and nothing but trouble. And that doesn't help any owner on this forum. If I were a prospective buyer I'd stop looking at the solstice with some of the wrong information posted. Don't scare people with some wrong information. By all means post about your research, experience and suggestions. But take the extra minute to not pad the info or misrepresent what you are saying. Doing so does not help anyone. Give a full picture.

For example, I didn't see two engineers referenced in previous posts posted and I only mentioned the one. Am I missing something, or is the info wrong again? I don't know. I only saw you earlier mention a single engineer, with no mention of them being an automotive engineer, let alone a GM automotive engineer. The rest were techs. Yes I saw the posts on balling up, etc. The point is let's be more than somewhat accurate. It means the information is correct and people are not misled. And it is beneficial to each and everyone of us.

Something to consider. With over 26,000 members here, there still aren't that many people posting about water pump failures. And there are positive water pump stories as well, that scary negative posts ignore. I'm not a mileage guy so I can't be of help, but Urbman here has 200K miles on a stock GXP water pump. http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/while-i-am-94170/. The point is GM has never changed the service interval for the coolant change on the car, but they have updated the pump many times. That seems to get lost in much of the advice here to spend money on coolant changes.

The GXP has been very reliable for many people and owners of the car don't want misinformation out there so let's try to be accurate in our discussion of issues. :grouphug:
The ghost is one of our more car educated members here. I seriously doubt that he is trying to scare other people. Don't think that just because a car has problems and he says something about them that he is bashing the car. My cars have had a multitude of problems over the many miles and years but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't recommend the car or don't like it. Between the two sols that I own and have owned, I've replaced a starter, intake gasket, exhaust manifold, rear diff axle seals, a window regulator, 4 coils, a timing chain and tensioner, clutch, then usual upkeep. I don't think there is any reason to act like the solstice is the perfect car as there is no such thing. I think that it is completely ok to talk about some of the problems that our cars face. Let's not be delusional about the fact that the sol is still a car and has flaws like any other. :)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I'm not trying to be picky...

Something to consider. With over 26,000 members here, there still aren't that many people posting about water pump failures. And there are positive water pump stories as well, that scary negative posts ignore. I'm not a mileage guy so I can't be of help, but Urbman here has 200K miles on a stock GXP water pump. http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/while-i-am-94170/. The point is GM has never changed the service interval for the coolant change on the car, but they have updated the pump many times. That seems to get lost in much of the advice here to spend money on coolant changes.

Thank you mcpigm01 for sticking up for me... :thumbs:

First off, I am one of the biggest advocates of the Solstice and GM. I live in Detroit....I bleed Detroit iron.... I AM 100% LOYAL TO FORD, GM AND CHRYSLER. I have NEVER owned ANYTHING but a Ford, GM or Chrysler product, and NEVER will. I DO NOT BASH THE SOLSTICE!! There are plenty of people here that do that already, one or two inparticular. I'm not one of them. If you would read through my posts you would see that. So let's stop that right there. I merely "warn" people that there are some items that are common failures with this car. Many people don't have $600 laying around for a waterpump. Many people don't have $1400 for a clutch. Many people don't understand that there are specific lifting instructions on this car and if done improperly will damage the floor.

I've been here 2 years and the 2 posts you bash me are the first posts I've ever seen from you! Secondly, the OP asked if this was a common problem..... YES, IT IS! Contrary to your fantasy world. What has the car that's gone 200k miles without a pump done differently? I'm willing to bet (and I can say almost certainly...don't want you get your panties in a knot because I said I was certain) that they are all highway miles.... There was, I believe, a theory in one of the posts if you keep the coolant hot enough, it doesn't "ball up" with age.... thus, more then likely, the reason he/she hasn't had an issue.

Yes, they have updated the pump many times....but will the new pumps give better longevity? :dunno: And while you're right, GM hasn't changed the service manual, there is plenty of posting and evidence here that supports the statement of changing the coolant more frequently. In closing, I realize there is good with bad....I did NOT say that all WP will fail, that's a given. Some people will be lucky...some will not. I merely was trying to give the OP some common issues (look that up in the dictionary cause I don't think you know what that means) that have happened to many members here.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The ghost is one of our more car educated members here. I seriously doubt that he is trying to scare other people. Don't think that just because a car has problems and he says something about them that he is bashing the car.....

...I think that it is completely ok to talk about some of the problems that our cars face. Let's not be delusional about the fact that the sol is still a car and has flaws like any other. :)
I never said he was trying to scare people. I said what he posted in that QUOTE was wrong, and it can scare people. Do you see that difference? And it affects the perception of the car whether he acknowledges it or not. Just today.... http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/next-water-pump-60000-a-95201/

And I never said to not talk about problems. Where does this come from? Really? In fact I said this "By all means post about your research, experience and suggestions."

The point is to take the time and effort to not misrepresent information. And his quote is wrong.
WRONG

First off, I am one of the biggest advocates of the Solstice and GM. I live in Detroit....I bleed Detroit iron.... I AM 100% LOYAL TO FORD, GM AND CHRYSLER. I have NEVER owned ANYTHING but a Ford, GM or Chrysler product, and NEVER will. I DO NOT BASH THE SOLSTICE!! There are plenty of people here that do that already, one or two inparticular. I'm not one of them. If you would read through my posts you would see that. So let's stop that right there. I merely "warn" people that there are some items that are common failures with this car. Many people don't have $600 laying around for a waterpump. Many people don't have $1400 for a clutch. Many people don't understand that there are specific lifting instructions on this car and if done improperly will damage the floor.
Wow, have you ever run off on a tangent.

I never said you bash the solstice.

I never said not to warn people on problems.

I said not to post inaccurate and misleading info that is essentially wrong. You have a habit of that and I've seen it before. I take the time to read all the wp info (lots) here and prove that was the case and you completely ignore and disregard it now.

And you seem intent on completely ignoring how some of your posts come across to people. A little egotistical are we?

I've been here 2 years and the 2 posts you bash me are the first posts I've ever seen from you! Secondly, the OP asked if this was a common problem..... YES, IT IS! Contrary to your fantasy world. What has the car that's gone 200k miles without a pump done differently? I'm willing to bet (and I can say almost certainly...don't want you get your panties in a knot because I said I was certain) that they are all highway miles.... There was, I believe, a theory in one of the posts if you keep the coolant hot enough, it doesn't "ball up" with age.... thus, more then likely, the reason he/she hasn't had an issue.
I posted comments supporting your posts many times. And the odd one with questions. It seems your penchant for ignoring things is fairly broad. But feel free to now cry out "I've been so wronged"! Because that makes so much sense.

Water pump failure is not common. I would never use the word common, that itself implies assumptions that you refuse to acknowledge. Just a gross estimate with lots of caveats, but a start, if 100 members here have had a water pump failure that is a failure rate of 0.3% on the forum. Is that common? Not in my world.

More accurately.........There are a number of early water pump failures on the car reported on this forum that happened with low mileage as well. The water pump has also been redesigned many times and a few members and their techs recommend changing coolant out earlier than the recommended interval. The Ghost recommends every 24k/2yr. Some research by RTE shows detailed information and evidence supporting the OEM GM recommended coolant change interval of 150k/5yr. That is accurate compared to the some of earlier misleading info you have posted. And I come to a completely different conclusion on how to maintain my car with the above statement versus the earlier quote from you below.
I don't care about conjecture and theories for water pump failure. Off on another tangent it seems. I never commented one way or the other. Immaterial imo. The discussion I pointed out is about coolant change frequency and the source/evidence for it. Nothing else.

With all this lashing out, I wonder who has their panties in a knot. :yesnod:

Yes, they have updated the pump many times....but will the new pumps give better longevity? :dunno: And while you're right, GM hasn't changed the service manual, there is plenty of posting and evidence here that supports the statement of changing the coolant more frequently. In closing, I realize there is good with bad....I did NOT say that all WP will fail, that's a given. Some people will be lucky...some will not. I merely was trying to give the OP some common issues (look that up in the dictionary cause I don't think you know what that means) that have happened to many members here.
I didn't say the updated pumps will give more longevity either. Immaterial so move on.

Lots of evidence supporting changing the coolant? LOL. Not. There you go again, massively stretching the truth. Very few people here have any evidence and it is all anecdotal. You are the torch bearer for the 24k/2y recommendation, with discussions with a few techs and one engineer.

As I mentioned, RTE has detailed technical info and evidence showing the exact opposite and that the 150k/5yr coolant replacement is fine.

By all means discuss whatever, anything and everything, but accurately describe it and don't misrepresent your advice, evidence, and information.

You cherry pick your evidence here to support your position and ignore the overall picture and contradictory evidence. You are a poster child for confirmation bias.

It sounds like you still refuse to realize or acknowledge that sometimes you stretch the truth to the point where a post of yours is just flat out wrong. I've seen it before and now that you attack me for pointing it out (and mentioning the effect it can have on some people), I'll be more than happy to point out more and more of them.

I'm trying to help people on the forum here as well. With the correct and accurate info, not everyone is going to see merit to changing coolant out sooner, as I don't see the merit yet. My gxp had the coolant changed at the 5 yr mark and the coolant pump is okay still and until I see better evidence, I won't change from the OEM service interval.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts