• No, GXP, Under 50k Miles, Stored for Several Months Annually

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had an issue with my 2013 Equinox that at first appeared to be a water pump failure, but I later found it to be a clogged PCV orifice.
When I called my mechanic to schedule a replacement he told me that he had never replaced a water pump on an Ecotec engine, and he services a very large number of them.
Since all of the Ecotecs (as far as I can tell) use the same pump, I started to wonder why this group has so many failures when the larger vehicle population does not.
My best guess is that many of our cars will spend months in storage every year, and maybe that contributes to the problem, and I am hoping this poll may shed some light on the subject.
I am posting the same poll on the Sky forum, so it would help for you to reply to one or the other but not both.
I also had to split this poll into two because I didn't have enough options here. NAs will be polled in the previous poll.

If you have more than one, vote the status of one of them, then post a reply with the status of the second third or fourth ones, and I'll add them manually when the poll ends.

The point of the poll is to see if storage affects the life of the water pump, so history is likely to be more important than current activity. If your car was stored for several years, but is active now, vote "stored".

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I'm not sure which way to vote... my 2008 spent it's first 10 years in Michigan, hidden in a barn for six months out of the year (11k miles on the odometer) - but now in it's second life with me in California, it will be driven year-round on any sunny blue sky day. I have a feeling that my situation is not unique as many Kappas have migrated to southern climates over the years.

·
Super Moderator
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Greatgab : I think that your car would be classified as "Stored Annually".

The point of the poll is to see if storage affects the life of the water pump, so history is likely to be more important than current activity. If I repeat the poll in 10 years you may have to vote differently.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I voted accordingly...

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
How can we vote if we have two? I voted for my highest mileage gxp but second has half the mileage. Neither has required water pump replacement.

·
Super Moderator
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How can we vote if we have two? I voted for my highest mileage gxp but second has half the mileage. Neither has required water pump replacement.
Well, you can't. Because I didn't click the "Pick multiple options" box when I set this up.

If you have more than one, vote the status of one of them, then post a reply with the status of the second third or fourth ones, and I'll add them manually when the poll ends.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My car started throwing the low coolant error on long/tilted corners (off/on ramps) at about 52k miles. Multiple checks of the pump since then (56k miles) make it all seem like a sensor vs. the pump itself failing.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Add one GXP with 30,000 mi. Stored 6 months each year. Original water pump still and hopefully for many more miles.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
crap - I screwed up - I put a 'yes over 50k' when it should have been a 'no over 50k'
for my yellow/mean coupe.

sorry :blush:

:banghead:

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
I can not vote twice but my gxp convertible is 'no under 50k'

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
My car started throwing the low coolant error on long/tilted corners (off/on ramps) at about 52k miles. Multiple checks of the pump since then (56k miles) make it all seem like a sensor vs. the pump itself failing.

did you add any coolant ?

·
Super Moderator
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
crap - I screwed up - I put a 'yes over 50k' when it should have been a 'no over 50k'
for my yellow/mean coupe.

sorry :blush:

:banghead:
Stored or driven?
I can not vote twice but my gxp convertible is 'no under 50k'
Stored or driven?

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
My GXP Coupe (2009) lasted 76 months made it 25,000 miles and started leaking. Drive every week. This is definitely a week point or perhaps a bad batch of water pumps.

·
Registered
947 Posts
WHY is no one actually checking the boxes in the GXP poll? they are in the NA poll... :willy::willy:
Bill

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,321 Posts
WHY is no one actually checking the boxes in the GXP poll? they are in the NA poll... :willy::willy:
Bill
There have been 26 responses so far, the forum won't show you the responses by default since you haven't voted. Check the "View Poll Results" link on the lower right of the poll.

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a summary of the three polls (Two for Solstice and One for Sky):

63 Cars Reported
13 Pump Failures

For the NA:
>21% Failure Rate for 29 Cars
>83% of the Failures Occurred Over 50k Miles
>67% of the Failures Occurred When Driven Regularly

For the Turbo:
>21% Failure Rate for 33 Cars
>29% of the Failures Occurred Over 50k Miles
>29% of the Failures Occurred When Driven Regularly

This is still too small of a population to be meaningful (if anything ever could be) and by trying to fit it into a poll I realize that I did not get detailed enough information.

It appears that storing the car for months at a time increases the odds of a pump failure, but it is far from conclusive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts