Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been following these posts for a while and I see a recurring theme as to water pump failures on the turbo motors .I have a 2.4 w 27000 mi on it and I am in the process of installing a Hann stage 2 turbo system on it .I have never had any over heating issues my question is twofold 1 with an aftermarket turbo are there any issues with overheating -I live in Ohio so we don't get temps like those out west or in the south .As part of the package I ordered the optional heatshield.2 Should I replace the water pump as part of the install I will flush and replace the antifreeze just to be safe .Any info on this will be greatly appreciated as the misses and me are getting ready for our yearly run to the Woodward Dream Cruise once again thanks!

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I don't think I would replace it. Just flush the coolant and do it every year after that just to be safe. I will start flushing mine every year now that I've got a new WP. As far as the "heatshield" goes for the turbo, is it a turbo blanket? If so, why would you want to keep the heat in your turbo? Turbos can already see temps of 1800+ degrees. Just my $0.02.... :leaving:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The water pump can fail on either motor and unfortunately there isn't a published age or condition that causes it to happen. I don't see any reason to change it if it's not broken.

The turbo will increase underhood temperature but it's really only at the detriment to performance (with a proper tune). Many run the 2.4 with the stock radiator and you may notice higher temps because as The_Ghost says, it does add a ton of heat under the hood but as long as you don't get near 240-250 it should all be fine.

Mine went from an average of ~194 to 210 and I've thought about running a larger radiator but it's not high on my list. Reducing underhood temperatures were though: turbo blanket, ceramic coated header/downpipe and possibly Norms fenders eventually. Your turbo shield is good to protect the surrounding components and serves an additional purpose of keeping heat in the turbine housing keeping the air moving for a faster spool. Just make sure it's properly cooled before shutting off (synthetic oil, either a turbo timer or absolutely calm driving or idling for a few minutes before shutdown) - you don't want to the oil to coke. Isn't the Hahn setup just oil cooled? If not, it's even less of a worry.

·
Registered
333 Posts
For those of us do-it-yourselfer's who like pictures; here is a video from Opel showing the step by replacement of the water pump on the Ecotec 4 cyl
. Fast forward to 2:20 into the video for section 5, Waterpump Replacement.

Granted the engine is on a stand, but of interest to me was the proper installation and use of the waterpump sprocket holder. I purchased one a while back, but (thankfully) haven't had a chance to use it yet. This video shows the correct order and proper use of the sprocket holder so you don't lose chain tension.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sweet! Nice to see how it is done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts