Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure the wife's wter pump is leaking with only 55,000 miles. Repair places want $1,000 saying there is a 5 hour labor charge. Is it really that difficult?

·
Registered
249 Posts
It is not difficult and mine also went at around 55K. I'm surprised they only quoted 5 hours. It will take you awhile but you will save a lot of money.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine went out this summer ( Corning, NY) during the Nationals with 56,000 miles.
09 coupe (na) 5 1/2 hours for labor + parts . Was done at a GM dealership.
Warranty for 24 months ( parts and labor).

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
If you can't do brakes, don't attempt this!! 5.5 hrs is actually really low. GM shop manual calls for 8hrs.

Basically if you allow the WP gear to move even a millimeter, you have to pull the front of the motor to readjust the balancer chain.

NOTE: You have an '09 so anything you read about being able to pull the pump out without removing the turbo is INCORRECT. On the '09s they changed the oil return line into a more straight line then a bendy style. So you MUST remove the turbo on your engine....Let a shop do it!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
I’ve done an 08. Took us 9 hours without removing the turbo. The risk is if the tension holding tool is not used correctly the cam drive chain will eat itself. The cost is almost all labor as the pump is relatively inexpensive

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you have some mechanical aptitude and a decent set of tools you can do it yourself even if you do have to remove the turbo, which I'm not sure you have to do. I've removed my turbo 4 times for various reasons and I can do it in less than two hours. My return line is straight and it's an '07.

Just make sure you get the full-circle water pump holding tool, follow the DDM instructions, and plan on a weekend to get it done.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taking to dealer. I don't need this headache. Plus looks like will be selling Ruby this spring in anticipation of moving to the mountains of Colorado as we downsize.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last kid finishes college in May so moving to mountains to ski more. They tell me a Solstice is not a 4 wheel drive. Go figure.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But not much fun in the snow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts