Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning drove the car with the A/C on for about one hour at city speeds in 85f weather, this afternoon back the car out off the driveway and notice on the concrete a wet spot on the passenger side under the engine. It looked like water or condensation from the A/C. Or is that the first sign of the water pump going. The car has 35 thousand miles on it

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Is it a GXP ? if the damp spot has evaporated by morning it's just the condensation from the air conditioner if there is an oily film it sounds like antifreeze

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Yep. Now watch the water pump take a dump next week! lol.

Seriously though, most times the waterpump is NOT a catastrophic failure but begins as a small leak. Mine was small enough that I never saw a puddle or even a drop for that matter. I could see a pinkish tint on the passenger side of the engine and that's how I knew it was the W/P.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Are you thinking of making the repairs yourself, ducatiguy? Sorry for the inconvenience, but please let us know if there's anything we can look into for you regarding this matter.

Amber N.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will just keep a eye on it. So far nothing else,looked under the hood on the water pump side and seen nothing. If I have problems with it I will take it to my local GM dealer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
chickenwire, my WP failed yesterday and it just dumped coolant out, also a GXP if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
chickenwire, my WP failed yesterday and it just dumped coolant out, also a GXP if it makes a difference.
It does.... I can't prove it, but we've had this discussion. The only thing anyone can come up with is the coolant balls up with age and gets in between the seals. I'm not telling you to change your coolant every xx,xxx miles, but mine will be changed again next spring after just 20k on it and 2 years.... I want to do all I can to avoid another wp failure! If your dealer offers BG services or Valvoline, have them flush it and warranty it for you to 150k because you flushed it with that product!!! I might do this next spring.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Yes - there have been a few reports of a total meltdown. I just wanted to bring up the fact that it can be very subtle at first so if you catch it at that stage you lessen the likelihood of being stuck on the side of the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts