Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all of you water pump replace owners

Thought I'd share my story for the benefit of all.

So bought my 07 gxp June 2019 and it ran just fine, though I always thought hot at 212-216 with an occasional blip into 218 and even 220.

A few months ago I spotted my first coolant leak but it wasn't under the water pump and it literally went away without a further whiff or a trace for several months. Then one day, after a spirited drive, a large pool of pink fluid stretched across the garage floor, starring just below the pump.

I watched a few videos and read some PDF's and bought all the parts, Delco pump (with gear) and thermostat, gaskets and holder tool. I was thinking of doing it myself and also contacted a house call mechanic (he never showed), but finally brought it to my local guy, NewTowne Auto in Williamsburg VA, Jerry Parker, owner. Jerry has serviced all my cars for several years. I think it took his guy about 9 hours and he charged be a fair $700 including installation of all my parts, coolant and a free VA motor vehicle inspection.

The best part of this so far, is that after a lengthy spirited test drive the temp read out stayed mostly in the mid 180's and never went over 192.

So it would appear that old coolant, an old thermostat and a questionable water pump will make your solstice run on the hot side.

Now if anyone has a good way to expoxy the previously broken lnf hose union without buying the $100 hose let me know.

Don't wait; have that pump fixed for peace of mind

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts

Now if anyone has a good way to expoxy the previously broken lnf hose union without buying the $100 hose let me know.

Assuming you are talking about the intake tube: I drilled both pieces about 1" deep with a 1/4" drill bit, then took a 2" piece of 1/4" copper tubing and used it to splice the pieces. the plastic stretched enough while drilling to hold the tubing tight, so I didn't even epoxy it. The repair is invisible and very solid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks; I'll look into doing something like that. A new duct is between $100 and 158 so I'd prefer to patch it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts