Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looks like I have the dreaded water pump leak
Should I let the stealer take care of , or it try it my self
Be For warned I had back fusion last year and am still in pain, now they say the lower disc is now bulging
Anyone done this or had dealer replace and if so how much did it cost

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
water pump

My water pump was replaced by the dealer last month. 2007 GXP, 62K miles. I read some of the threads by people who changed the pump themselves. Some said it could be a "DIY" project but does take a lot of time and effort. Others said they tried it, used the GM tool to hold the timing chain, and still got the dreaded "whine" and had to do the whole job over again. I decided to have the Chevy dealer our club uses do the job.

The details of the bill: Parts $473.85, labor 585.00, misc. charges and tax $79.77. minus a club discount of $127.06 = total of $1011.56.

You can save some money by buying the parts from someone like Crate Engine Depot and either doing it yourself or having the dealer use your parts. From what I read in the forum it just seemed like too much of a job for me to do by myself with my tools in my garage.

What ever you do, I wish you the best of luck. I have the receipt from the Chevy dealer and an estimate with list of parts from the Cadillac dealer. I could send you copies if you want. Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Luckily I bought my car with a 2/4yr?? 60,000 mile extended warranty for $2k when I bought mine. Only cost me $100 to have it fixed since I didn't take it to the purchasing dealer. I would rather pay $2k over 48 months than $1k for something that is known to fail on every car of ours.

I would say let the dealer do it, but it's your money not mine!

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will go to the dealer tomorrow and get a price!
But I am not having that much money now that I really haven't worked that much since last July
I did find a better right up on the kappa forum that has some good points of what d
To do and what not to do!
Thing I will buy the ac delco one if I do it !

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
RoadStar, I have two bad disc's in my back too and I wouldn't even think of doing this job if my back was bothering me even just a little. Leaning over a car that long would be excruciating and I would pay for it several days/weeks afterwards. Maybe if I had a friend I could guide through most of the easier stuff I would think about it but probably not even then. God luck with whatever you decide to do but remember if you get it part way torn down and can't complete it, it would have to be towed to the dealer and they would probably change even more because in general, dealers don't like to finish a job that was started by someone else.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would see what kind of warranty it will have if the dealer does it.

That could be the deciding factor for me. That and the fact I might get the whine.

Larry:thumbs:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I agree that if you are having back problems then you shouldn't undertake changing out the waterpump. I have slight problems with my lower back from training/ weight lifting too hard. So, leaning over into the engine bay makes my back hurt, too.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
This quote is assuming you have a turbo (GXP) and at $120/hr for labor....

Waterpump Replacement:

~7.0 hours @ 120/hr = $840
90537379 – Seal x 2 - $30.34
90537471 – Seal - $23.28
12630084 – waterpump - $271.52
Coolant – 1.4 gallons - $14.00

Total: ~$1200

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
Keep in mind that if the dealer does it, the new part (not labor) carries a lifetime warranty. Verify with your dealer.
Good point. I think the labor is covered for up to a year?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had mine changed at my local Chevy dealer and it went great. No whine, no leaks, no problem, but my wallet is about $1100 lighter!

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
we are seeing the same price here in Colorado.

Not cheap but less expensive than doing it yourself two or three times :brentil:

·
Registered
228 Posts
"Not cheap but less expensive than doing it yourself two or three times"

Frankly it'd be worth it to me even more expensive!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just remember to add a bottle of anti-rust/water pump lubricant after you get the new pump installed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My boyfriend and me replaced mine. I bought a water pump, with a lifetime warranty to it, and the tool to take the pump off with. That cost me $170.00. It took us about 6 hours total to do the job. We saved a ton of money. I don't have the kind of cash that the dealers want to fix anything. I just fixed the radiator fan motor and shroud on my PT cruiser. I saved myself $650 by doing it myself. I actually did it myself too. I would check out Google for video's on how to fix the water pump. Its isn't easy, but if money is tight DYI might be the better option.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I ordered the water pump, will change out this winter, so no long trips for me !
Waiting on the special tool to come also

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hopefully you ordered the full round sprocket holding tool. The half moon version is half-ass.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes that's here now made by toc, waiting on pump which should be here later today!
Just wondering what other gaskets I should order?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts