Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago the radiator reservoir light came on and I refilled it. Two weeks later it came on again and I checked the garage floor and found a wet spot under the car. I told the wife to take it to the dealer since it is still under warranty. They said they pressure tested it and there was no leakage. I asked if they ran it and they said no. They left the pressure test on over night and lost a little pressure. They finally ran it and found damp spots around the water pump and are going to replace it. Then they said they would replace the thermostat for only $40. Then they wanted to flush the radiator for only $130. I passed on the flush and just told them to put in a new thermostat. Everything else is covered. The extended warranty has now paid for itself. :cool:

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
you are definitely leading the way on high mileage and quailty in the sol family...water pumps are a finicky thing....they can last forever or go out at low mileage.....since it was covered under extended warranty all good.......keep on driving...

·
Registered
299 Posts
i cant wait till mine goes kaput It looks like a chore to change the water pump on this car. One day I will have done everything on this car.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
All better!

The surgery went good and the "Red Head" now has a new water pump. I will be keeping an eye on the reservoir for a while just to make sure it is all tight. She was driving my car yesterday and got spotted by someone on the Charger forum in Port Charlotte. I called her and told her I knew where she was and that freaked her out. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
No Black Friday for me. Swapped cars with the wife, cranked up the car and the low coolant light was on. Filled to the cold line then headed out. Within a mile the temp was fluctuating and went to 223. Pulled into a parking lot and pink was leaking in the middle and from the overflow.

Went back home (1.2) miles, found the fan not working, fuse blown (again), replaced fuse making fan work, then checked leaking coolant and pressure tank. Looks like parts replacements - new water pump at just under 80K, fan & thermostat just to be safe and a flush.

·
Registered
459 Posts
When I had my water pump replaced, it increased my performance tremendously, since it came with a LS3 attached! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My mechanic said i need a new water pump. Slow leak. He actually said there are special tools that he doesn't have and recommended i take it to the dealership. This is a first. Said it will be a hell of a job ($$$). Any perspective here from those who went through this before ?

My original note to my mechanic is as follows:

****I have had a few issues w/ the coolant system***
1) Twice in the last 2500 miles, the engine overheat notification asserted and the overheat fan kicked in. Reason for this is unknown, the temperature of the coolant on the driver indication panel was in excess of 212F and climbing at the time for reasons unknown.
2) More recently the Low Coolant notification has asserted somewhat regularly. Visual check shows me down ~1.5” from the cold fill line in the main reservoir. That is probably why.
3) I’m not exactly sure the cause of either of these events, there has been no indication on my garage floor I have a coolant leak and the overheat issue has not happened in a while.
4) You guys are smarter than me at these issues, but where my thinking was at was the following:
A) Flush and refill coolant system entirely with appropriate fluid for this vehicle, I have no records as to the last time this was performed and I’d be happy with a reset here.
B) Remove and Replace thermostat.
C) If the above was performed I would be amenable to moving forward with the hopes that those two actions fix any issues.
D) If you have any other suggestions on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Water Pump / Coolant system woes

2008 Solstice GXP / 55000 mi.

My mechanic said i need a new water pump. Slow leak. He actually said there are special tools that he doesn't have and recommended i take it to the dealership. This is a first. Said it will be a hell of a job ($$$). Any perspective here from those who went through this before ?

My original note to my mechanic is as follows:

****I have had a few issues w/ the coolant system***
1) Twice in the last 2500 miles, the engine overheat notification asserted and the overheat fan kicked in. Reason for this is unknown, the temperature of the coolant on the driver indication panel was in excess of 212F and climbing at the time for reasons unknown.
2) More recently the Low Coolant notification has asserted somewhat regularly. Visual check shows me down ~1.5” from the cold fill line in the main reservoir. That is probably why.
3) I’m not exactly sure the cause of either of these events, there has been no indication on my garage floor I have a coolant leak and the overheat issue has not happened in a while.
4) You guys are smarter than me at these issues, but where my thinking was at was the following:
A) Flush and refill coolant system entirely with appropriate fluid for this vehicle, I have no records as to the last time this was performed and I’d be happy with a reset here.
B) Remove and Replace thermostat.
C) If the above was performed I would be amenable to moving forward with the hopes that those two actions fix any issues.
D) If you have any other suggestions on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Do a search here, plenty of resent topics on this. Shop cost about $900 to get it done. Do it yourself for under $100. Yes you need a special tool. Its to hold the sprocket that drives the water pump in place while you remove it.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Tool can be bought on ebay, or a dozen other sources, for anywhere from $25.00 to $40.00. The pump is not as hard to install as you might think. Just be sure to replace the O rings where the piping plugs into the new pump or you may have leaks. Do NOT try to replace the pump without the special tool. You can end up taking the whole front off of the engine to reset the timing chain.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do a search here, plenty of resent topics on this. Shop cost about $900 to get it done. Do it yourself for under $100. Yes you need a special tool. Its to hold the sprocket that drives the water pump in place while you remove it.
Where do you find a water pump for less than $100?

Thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
What is this special tool?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,456 Posts
What is this special tool?
Kent Moore Water Pump Holding Tool Ecotec 6T40 Etc J 43651 Handy | eBay

Water Pump Holding Tool J-43651 6616 83-96-103 545305

J-43651 is required to hold the internal gears in position during the removal of the waterpump housing. Holds Timing Chain in place on 2002 and newer GM EcoTech motors. 2.2L and 2.4L Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Saab, Saturn, Pontiac NO tool assembly required Professional Technicians save more time and make more money using Quality Service Tools from OTC. Holds timing chain in place so water pump can be removed for service. Special design allows easy application regardless of timing chain orientation. Tool saves costly loss of timing on GM 2.0L 2.2L 2.4L EcoTech motors found in Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, and Saturn platforms. Service range 2002 to current

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thank you for that info, I had no idea.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow! I had no idea, thank you. I'm having my WP replaced right now because of other engine issues but I'll be ready for next time it goes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts