Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my car brand new in 2007 and even with 200 miles on it, I always had this light white smoke at idle only. Doesn't matter the temp outside. You can barely see it and it isn't whit as in antifreeze. Ive blown head gaskets before but it doesn't seem to be the case. Fash forward to 2014 and with 47k miles on it, I still have it, zero power loss, burns no oil, exhaust doesn't smell funny other than I have no cat and the exhaust smell is stronger. I burn no antifreeze and the antifreeze is clean. Its never given me any issues and the car runs a 13.5 to 14.9 on my wideband. Obviously if it had been a major issue it wouldn't have made it to almost 50k. Thoughts??? Its always at idle only no matter the temp and is almost so faint you can barley see it.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Without a cat it may just be condensation being heated off the inside of the exhaust system. Steam disappears after assuming environmental temps, so does that white smoke disappear after leaving the tip?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It's more then likely because you don't have a cat. Like BellaVerde said, it's probably just steam. Your car doesn't warm the cat properly, so all of the moisture in the exhaust takes some time to evaporate. To give an example, my temps reach almost 1000 degrees in the cat very quickly, which equals very hot exhaust. So hot that I actually burned a co-workers hand when he thought he was going to be funny and put his hand over the exhaust and make it bang....he was wrong. I don't know if your's would do that without a cat because it doesn't warm nearly as fast....thus giving you the steam...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its pretty bad right now at idle because ive not drove it in two years and i just started it today and remembered about it. Ive been in the process of re customizing it, its now lamborghini ithica green with black stripes, one off fenders so on so on, im an autobody and custom car guy by profession. It does disipear quickly in the air but its aleays stumped me because it smokes at idle but if you rev it, nothing. ive heard it could be valve seals. Oh well im not worried car runs cool still.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Note I just made a video it does it at idle and when you let off the gas, disipears quickly but still has a faint smoke when car is warm at idle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does stainless and metal have different heating up times? My entire exhaust is stainless except for the muffler back, its steal. I have a solo header, solo cat delete, had a solo n/a exhaust but got rid of the muffler and went dual but modifying a flowmaster 80 series dual outlet muffler, car sounds amazing but its just a thought

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
No significant difference in heating rates. If you live in a high humidity area [not the southwest] then a good deal of water...say several tablesspoons...could be settling in the curves and dips. If you are in a low-humidity climate, then the moisture would still be there but in much lesser amounts and should dissipate quickly. Just to regenerate as the exhaust cools.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Had an oil change lately? Overfilled engine?

I remember back then when we overfilled our project Miata the thing started smoking white pretty badly. Drained and refilled and it was gone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sat for 2 years lol Let it run for an hour today and all is good, besides if anything goes bad i have an extra motor on stand by lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts