Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing rumblings that this type of product is quite useful, especially for those of us who jones to do a good washing in the wintertime. I have floor drains in my garage and will, from time to time, do a complete and thorough hand wash of the pickup and/or Explorer from time to time. BUT, I'm hesitant to do it very often due to the silt that builds up in the drains. This, of course, leads to facial tics on the weekends when I see a dirty vehicle that my OCD can't allow me to accept.

Since I live on a dirt road I'm not going to have perfectly clean vehicles and if I have heavy dirt on one of my rides I really cannot see using a waterless wash product. I just see it scratching the paint. However, if they are effective and relatively safe (understanding you can scratch paint with ANYTHING if you try hard enough), I think this might be worth trying after just spraying off salt spray on a relatively clean vehicle.

Anybody have any experience with this type of product they can share?

·
Super Moderator
16,208 Posts
Have been to the training class at Adams Polishes. Their WW is not recommended if there are visible particles of dirt on the finish. It's really meant as a lubricating agent for heavy dust or dried water film

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
I'm with Rob on this one maybe if you have a coating of dust type dirt but anything more you need to get the grime off and spraying something on especially with a dirty car and wiping it off with a towel to me will only cause scratches .If it sounds too good it usually is .

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I also use Griots waterless wash and like the results, however I only use it for dust and not as a replacement for a wash, and then I follow up w/Griots Speed Shine. But if I had a drain in my garage I'd definitely choose water over a waterless wash and have the drain cleaned when needed.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. That was my concern regarding visible dirt and scratching. I'm always ready to learn something new, but I just couldn't make the logical connection that such a compound existed that would magically lift the dirt away from the surface.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
When you wash a car with soap and water you are constantly flushing the surface and they tell you to start at the top so the contaminants are flushed down as you wash .Again if you have a real dirty car I just don't see how this stuff will remove or lift the dirt without scratching the surface .I have gone so far as to put a plastic flower pot drain in my wash bucket so my sponge and wash mit don't sit in the dirt I'll stick to what works for me .

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you wash a car with soap and water you are constantly flushing the surface and they tell you to start at the top so the contaminants are flushed down as you wash .Again if you have a real dirty car I just don't see how this stuff will remove or lift the dirt without scratching the surface .I have gone so far as to put a plastic flower pot drain in my wash bucket so my sponge and wash mit don't sit in the dirt I'll stick to what works for me .
It's also why I use a separate bucket to rinse the mitt separate from the soap bucket.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
It's also why I use a separate bucket to rinse the mitt separate from the soap bucket.
:agree: This kind of stuff appeals to people who are lazy or don't really care about taking care of their cars properly .I have no issue if your car is dusty as I have used Griots Garage Speed Shine which got a good write up in Classic MotorSports and a California Car Cover duster.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I would never use a waterless wash. Most of the time, I just rinse the dust off (I generally don't drive the SKY in the rain, so it doesn't get dirty). I tried a California Car Duster, but after several uses, I could see the scratches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have my car coated with Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating and use Wolfgang WW to the point where I only brought the hose out twice the entire summer. I do a WW weekly using multiple mf towels that have been soaking in the solution and dry with a cobra guzzler. With proper technique and good towels, I've had no issues with scratches or swirls.

It's definitely a method that caters to my obsessive side of keeping her clean and shiny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts