Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good recommendations for waxing the solstice?

I've used Zaino Bros. in the past and was directed to that product from the vette forum however, I have since heard that there are better products out there.

Also, how long should one wait before applying wax after receiving the car? I've heard there is a recommended wait period to allow the paint to cure.

I look forward to your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
mceb said:
.... Zaino is very popular. I'm going with a product called Blackfire to start with.

I've had good results with Blackfire and with Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection (UPP) though now I favor UPP. I've also seen some very impressive Zaino finishes. If you're looking for durability and appearance, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these polymers as long as they're applied correctly. Appilcation and surface prep are key.

The differences between these products include things like how long you have to wait between coats, number of products in the system, price, smell during application, and subtle differences in the way they appear on the car.

Durability ratings are debatable without a controlled test, and even then you have to read the conditions carefully. One report that rated Zaino more durable than Blackfire failed to apply two coats of Blackfire as recommended by the manufacturer, however they carefully followed the Zaino recommendations which amounted to about 5-7 steps applying various products in the system.

Attached is a Blackfire enhanced reflection on my previous sports car.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
you can wax right away - its the cleaner you cannot use for 90 days or so. to be honest, I can't see the need to use a cleaner for a year. But a straight wax, you can apply right away.

Never used Zaino, but I have used many others - still have not found anything better then Zymol in my opinion.

Also, that Eagle product "Wax as you Dry" - is surprisingly good for a quick touchup. when drying the car after a normal wash/rinse, spraying some of that stuff on makes the water come off easily and leaves a nice very light wax on the car.

for you masochists who decide to buy black, you may have to add a step and use a glaze before waxing - Meguiars ShowCar Glaze is good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Was turned on to zaino soon after getting the elise. The initial application is time consuming (done in several very thin coats) but it held up extremely well over six months of daily all weather driving.

I used to be a fan of the zymol (expensive mail order version, not the stuff sold in stores). But found it didn't last very long on a car driven daily in all weathers. I was told this is because of the relatively high concentration of carnauba, but don't know.

I'll stick with zaino. Be sure to get the accelerator, speeds up the waxing process.
Chris

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
30-90 days is usually a good amount of time. Ideally the paint will have time to fully cure so you don't try to seal it prematurely. Anybody familiar with painting will tell you that you don't want to wax it right away. You'll notice this if you ever grab one of the recommended tips flyers from a paint and body shop. I think 30 days is generally accepted as a minimum wait time in case you really want to get it done right away. Obviously dealers rush this sometimes when they get new cars straight from the factory and that's one of the reasons that a number of people here have mentioned they will request that the dealer not wax it. Just remember to pay extra attention to bugs and bird droppings on the paint until you get it waxed.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
nyca said:
for you masochists who decide to buy black, you may have to add a step and use a glaze before waxing - Meguiars ShowCar Glaze is good.
Masochists... I like that.

I just plan on using the Mr. Clean AutoDry Pro system regularly. Does ShowCar Glaze make that much of a difference?

Also, I've seen products that use PTFE (5Star Protectant) instead of wax that claim to be better. Is this true?

·
Registered
114 Posts
on a black or dark colored car, a glaze (you glaze after using the cleaner, before using the wax) can produce a dazzling shine, a "wet" look. A glaze is a pure polish, containing no cleaner.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_detailpage.cfm?product=Show-Car-Glaze&sku=M0716&sectionID=31401

this is a good website that talks about some products, techniques, etc:

http://www.properautocare.com/

and all you folks who ordered those bright polished wheels - P21S wheel cleaner only on those in my opinion - don't trust anything else (other then soap and water) - I have seen so many messed up wheels, that "streaked" look on the surface of a polished wheel caused by a cleaner that was too caustic.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Gmlinedog said:
The average time to wait is 90 days. I have a black Firebird and I think Meguires works great.
Once again, the linedog is correct. Even with factory paint you should allow 90 days for cure. It won't need anything before then, anyway.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
stang said:
What about spray-on wax from a Car Wash? Would that screw up the paint if I did it too soon? Just curious.
I doubt it would do anything. It's not like a traditional wax anyway.
One thing to remember when waxing a car is to read directions. And if it doesn't say it on the container, don't wax a car in direct sunlight. It can do bad things.

·
Registered
245 Posts
THERE'S NO SHINE LIKE MOTHERS!!!

i always hand wax my cars with mothers. i do a three phase system w/hard carnuba wax. looks cool. :cool: :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts