Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
I am not happy with the 'advanced search' function.
I searched for all of my posts in the last 24 hours, and the results did not contain stuff that I posted into threads a few hours before.

I eventually found what I was looking for my using the items under "My Profile"/Discussion. I got here by reviewing the FAQ.

·
Administrator
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
This will also help you to track threads you posted in. Depending on your preference settings, this can be accomplished.

Step One:
Check your preference settings by clicking on your account settings under your avatar near the upper right hand side of the community.

That will bring you to a new page with some left-side navigation. Select preferences.

That will bring you to this page.
[insert url]

Step 2
Make sure you have a checkmark in "Automatically watch content you interact with" and then click save.

Step 3
Now when you check popular or new posts you will see an "eye" under the title area.

It will also show on the thread list within a forum section.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.

Alternative Methods For Users Wanting To Know If Someone Replied To Their Thread.
There are a couple of ways you can avoid going back to look. You can try them both to see if one works for you.

Option One
If you use "new posts" to navigation the forum, the default filter is for unread post, so if it is not displaying for you there, there is no response yet.

Option Two
First, double-check your preference settings. Make sure you have a checkmark next to "watch content you create". You can even get an email notification if you wish.

If you have it set that way, you can navigate following and click the "my discussions" tab.

On the "my discussions" tab, if the title is bold, it has unread posts in it.

Let me know if that helps at all.

-Philip

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
well... to be honest, I was not looking for replies.
I was looking for a thread that I posted to
because I wanted to add more information.

·
Super Moderator
6,038 Posts
well... to be honest, I was not looking for replies.
I was looking for a thread that I posted to
because I wanted to add more information.
When you did the search did you change "Sort By" to "Date"? If you leave it at "Relevance" you will get a lot of old posts. "Relevance" is only useful if you are looking for keywords.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
When you did the search did you change "Sort By" to "Date"? If you leave it at "Relevance" you will get a lot of old posts. "Relevance" is only useful if you are looking for keywords.
yes ( as shown in the photo in the first post... )

·
Super Moderator
6,038 Posts
@sirwm : Another option that you have is to click on the "Filter" button that is at the top left when viewing "New Posts" then click the appropriate boxes to change the filter to "Discussions in which you've participated" and click "Filter". You should now be able to find the thread you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Oops. I definitely missed that.

It worked for me just a bit ago, so it could have been a temporary forum problem. Have you tried it again recently?
just tested it again.

The 'advanced search' did not find the post that I did in the test forum 2 minutes earlier.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
@sirwm : Another option that you have is to click on the "Filter" button that is at the top left when viewing "New Posts" then click the appropriate boxes to change the filter to "Discussions in which you've participated" and click "Filter". You should now be able to find the thread you are looking for.
this did not find the post that I created in the test forum just 2 minutes prior.

any chance there is a time lag of some sort ? The indexer only runs every hour or something ?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Could very well be that the indexing script only runs once an hr or less. This is the case for a lot of forum software.

·
Super Moderator
6,038 Posts
this did not find the post that I created in the test forum just 2 minutes prior.

any chance there is a time lag of some sort ? The indexer only runs every hour or something ?
Unless my super powers include super-fast search, no. I posted in your test thread and it was immediately visible in the advanced seach.

·
Super Moderator
6,038 Posts

Try running the search without the date restriction if you are looking for something you posted less than 24 hours ago. It apparently does take some time for the forum to get today's posts recognized as being from today.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
or is it a case of the search being miscoded ?

date_min < search-item < date_max
vs

date_min <= search-item <= date_max

??

·
Super Moderator
6,038 Posts
or is it a case of the search being miscoded ?

date_min < search-item < date_max
vs

date_min <= search-item <= date_max

??
I was all set to say "No" because I did a test yesterday that found posts on the max date, but that same test failed today. I did find posts on the min date, so it appears to be at least half correct.

Bram suggested always putting in the day after the last one you want to check, and that may be the surest solution, at least in the interim.

·
Administrator
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
We're working towards fine tuning the search algorithm and all of this information is very useful. Thank you. We apologize that it is not working perfectly, but we hope to approach perfection as we continue developing it further with feedback like this :)

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Howdy: I'm stuck again with the Coupe Registry. In the past I could do edits for thirty days and therefore add any additional contacts or located cars information during that period. I've always had to start a new post after the month in order to add found or changed vehicles. This process is kind of a pain since it requires me pasting four pages (Reply's) and then going back and adding any new information I've accumulated. I just did my latest registry with this new format Late November. I just went in tonight to add a car I didn't have and change ownership and location on another. It appear that I am only allowed one edit and since I did that when I was creating and posting on post start date it wont' let me edit any longer. This is bad!!! Is there any remedy? Mike

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
John: I appreciate the offer. I was handling pretty good with old format. Just was hoping to get back the 30 edits. I’ll just have to save changes for a month or two and then do the new posts.

·
Super Moderator
6,038 Posts
OK Mike, however you want to handle it. The offer will be there if you change your mind.

Not that it really matters, but I think that the limit was 30 days, and not 30 edits.

·
Administrator
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Can you post a link to the section and I can look into this for you? I am also happy to make any edits you need as well.
-Philip

Howdy: I'm stuck again with the Coupe Registry. In the past I could do edits for thirty days and therefore add any additional contacts or located cars information during that period. I've always had to start a new post after the month in order to add found or changed vehicles. This process is kind of a pain since it requires me pasting four pages (Reply's) and then going back and adding any new information I've accumulated. I just did my latest registry with this new format Late November. I just went in tonight to add a car I didn't have and change ownership and location on another. It appear that I am only allowed one edit and since I did that when I was creating and posting on post start date it wont' let me edit any longer. This is bad!!! Is there any remedy? Mike

181 - 200 of 204 Posts