Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are really all on the same journey and, for now, enjoying the trip, hopefully, with these little cars we've grown to appreciate and love, along with the interests and friendships developed through our association on this platform. Some of us are a little farther along than others and can recognize the changes that have occurred in us. I thought some may like reading this piece by Michael Lamm. I did. There is 10 years difference in our ages, but the experiences and interests are the same. When we talk about the accommodations we have to make working on our cars because our body constantly changes, albeit in subtle ways we often don't notice until suddenly we cannot do something that used to be so easy. This was brought home to me a while back when I had to remount the wheels on the Dakota to move it since a hurricane was to arrive. My OTC wheel dolly was apparently made for some giant tire and rim combination. It was useless. I would simply hoist the wheel onto the lugs then. Well, stooping and bending is not quite the articulated move it used to be and I landed flat on my bony butt. That was sore for several days. Then I needed to lift the wheel. There went the arms! I now have a proper adjustable wheel dolly. Accommodation.

I've enjoyed reading Michael's automotive writing for a lifetime. We've known some of the same car people over time and had a good conversation when I bought a copy of the Solstice book from him. The lead photo is of him today and is an honest image, like the one in my mirror each morning. May we continue to enjoy each day and hope the lifetime warranty continues in force.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/11/20/confessions-of-an-elderly-mechanic/?refer=news&utm_source=edaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-11-20#comments-block&gid=1&pid=1

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
240 Posts
hmmm.

I got mine from a dealer who said the guy who sold it to him got too old to get in and out easily anymore, that day will come for me too; but until then; i'm going to fish tail the hell out of it when the opportunities present themselves and try and lay some rubber anytime i'm the first one on the line at a light.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
hmmm.

I got mine from a dealer who said the guy who sold it to him got too old to get in and out easily anymore, that day will come for me too; but until then; i'm going to fish tail the hell out of it when the opportunities present themselves and try and lay some rubber anytime i'm the first one on the line at a light.
Good luck...let me know how that works for you. Unless you are used to driving go-karts, you're either going to kill yourself or someone else. I've been an avid go-kart racer the last 15 or so years...thankfully I have fast hands and great reflexes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good luck...let me know how that works for you. Unless you are used to driving go-karts, you're either going to kill yourself or someone else. I've been an avid go-kart racer the last 15 or so years...thankfully I have fast hands and great reflexes.
not sure if it will satisfy you but I only do these things where the traffic is clear and I know the road and traffic patterns. I see probably one person a day that I see do things like that in traffic and I think those guys are going to kill themselves and others; i'm usually laying on my horn at those guys.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I'm sorry but I'll take the bait...

So.....you're saying that the only people who are capable of fishtailing without "killing" someone else.....are go-kart racers?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I'm sorry but I'll take the bait...

So.....you're saying that the only people who are capable of fishtailing without "killing" someone else.....are go-kart racers?
Wow...what bait? Too many people taking things literally and reading into things way over the way they should lately. They want to tear apart something as simple as "Good Morning"....thus one of the reasons I've been non-existent here lately. It's gotten really bad here. Everyone wants things to be WAY too detailed and taking things way to literal lately.... You can't use an analogy or parallelism anymore...it has to be very specific.

Not what I meant at all. I guess I should have put go-kart in quote marks. I've said this before. With a short wheelbase, the Solstice and Sky (wanted to name our cars, so I'm not ridiculed for not being specific enough) can spin out very quickly. You need quick hands and fast reflexes to keep them pointed in the direction you want to go. Something that some people don't have.

Sorry, next time, I'll say something like this...maybe that will help....

"Good luck...please respond to my post and let me know if you had any type of issues like a spin-out or uncontrolable skid. Unless you are used to driving short wheel-base vehicles like go-karts, Fieros or Miatas, which can get away from you very quickly if you don't have faster reflexes, you might not be able to control your car and your inability to control your car could possibly injure or kill you or hit someone else's vehicle and possibly injure or kill them. I've been an avid go-kart racer the last 15 or so years...thankfully, I have faster hands and great reflexes from my time in a short-wheel based vehicles like go-karts and Fieros."

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Wow...what bait? Too many people taking things literally and reading into things way over the way they should lately. They want to tear apart something as simple as "Good Morning"....thus one of the reasons I've been non-existent here lately. It's gotten really bad here. Everyone wants things to be WAY too detailed and taking things way to literal lately.... You can't use an analogy or parallelism anymore...it has to be very specific.

Not what I meant at all. I guess I should have put go-kart in quote marks. I've said this before. With a short wheelbase, the Solstice and Sky (wanted to name our cars, so I'm not ridiculed for not being specific enough) can spin out very quickly. You need quick hands and fast reflexes to keep them pointed in the direction you want to go. Something that some people don't have.

Sorry, next time, I'll say something like this...maybe that will help....

"Good luck...please respond to my post and let me know if you had any type of issues like a spin-out or uncontrolable skid. Unless you are used to driving short wheel-base vehicles like go-karts, Fieros or Miatas, which can get away from you very quickly if you don't have faster reflexes, you might not be able to control your car and your inability to control your car could possibly injure or kill you or hit someone else's vehicle and possibly injure or kill them. I've been an avid go-kart racer the last 15 or so years...thankfully, I have faster hands and great reflexes from my time in a short-wheel based vehicles like go-karts and Fieros."
Your initial words were taken exactly how they were typed.

Your second turn at explaining yourself made things less sarcastic and holier-than-thou.

Taking a little more time to explain things the first time will save you from having to backpedal and re-explain yourself a second time. Words are taken literally online because we arent talking to each face to face - there are only words. There are no inflections of voice, body language or facial expressions to go off of, because of this it's very important to choose our words wisely the first time.

I'll admit, I take offense anytime someone says "unless you're a _, then you dont know how to drive a car aggressively". The last time I went down this road with someone the blank was filled in with the word autocrosser. Driving around cones in a parking lot while being timed, or even racing a short wheel base go-cart can certainly make you a better driver under certain conditions but does that mean that no one else can drive a car aggressively (well, maybe not Mustang drivers)? Absolutely not, driving is not rocket surgery. That's why they let 14-15 year old children do it. There are plenty of people who know how to drive fast safely, who have never done any racing.

I think you're a valuable asset to these forums as you've contributed fantastic information here for a really long time. I don't wish to end this on any sort of bad note, it's Thanksgiving afterall. Have a great one!

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Fish tailing is not a desirable thing - it happens when an inexperienced driver overcooks it or an experienced one suddenly hits an unexpectedly slick road surface. It is certainly a far cry from a controlled drift, which is a common racing technique. Fishtailing can result when an inexperienced or unskilled driver attempts to do a controlled drift, of course.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Fish tailing is not a desirable thing - it happens when an inexperienced driver overcooks it or an experienced one suddenly hits an unexpectedly slick road surface. It is certainly a far cry from a controlled drift, which is a common racing technique. Fishtailing can result when an inexperienced or unskilled driver attempts to do a controlled drift, of course.
You left one option out, and possibly the most applicable to these conversations.

Fishtailing as the result of an experienced person forcing it.....all for a giant smile.

·
Registered
351 Posts
hmm..and I thought these cars were gokarts,,,,:eek: as for fish tails...I do live at the beach so...oh well. as for gokart racers knowing how to drive,,,,not sure thats a qualification for fishtailing....dirtracer or drifter. probably a little better suited for fishtails..or boat hand/mate....1 of the main reasons I bought this car for my daily driver( only driver) over a challanger is....Ive raced all my life...I dont see this as a race car, just too slow and not enough power and too much has to be done to give it the power that would satisfy me... a challange would be eazy...and I would probably dive in oh so deep and.....Im trying to stop that...and it aint eazy. I will try to enjoy my car with a few upgrades......putting a hair dryer on it aint eazy not to do, but Im resisting it the best i can.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would somebody please get this thread back on the subject I addressed in my original posting which had NOTHING to do with any of the comments afterward. Take a minute and read the original post. I'm referencing a piece in Hemmings by Michael Lamm about aging and how we, as our own mechanics, have learned to compensate. I thought surely someone would get back on track but apparently not. Comments seem to continue to have a subject life of their own, far from my intent. My participation is closed with this note so have at it, into the woods.

Richard Snipes

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Your piece was fantastic, thank you for sharing - and I'm sorry for the tangent! After seeing it on the forum, my father had the article included in his car clubs newsletter Their average age is 70, so many of them were able to relate.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I refuse to get old and my Solstice is helping in that endeavor... just need to work on my entry and exit procedures! ;)
P.S. - I do double tab the traction control button once in awhile to wake up my Trifecta tune and do a little tire spinning! :cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Would somebody please get this thread back on the subject I addressed in my original posting which had NOTHING to do with any of the comments afterward. Take a minute and read the original post. I'm referencing a piece in Hemmings by Michael Lamm about aging and how we, as our own mechanics, have learned to compensate. I thought surely someone would get back on track but apparently not. Comments seem to continue to have a subject life of their own, far from my intent. My participation is closed with this note so have at it, into the woods.

Richard Snipes
I hijacked another thread unintentionally, seems to happen to me.

one thing we will have to do is compensate the mechanics on ourselves and the solstice as both of us are getting older with parts not easy to replace. (best I can do to reroute it)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts