Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Called engine depot & was told after a USA search none out there Rob. Thanks for the tip any way. I book marked the site.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I have been phoning GM Dealerships with no results & there telling me to phone auto glass companies.
I am confused as i can't get an answer from my local GM Dealership as to what this part is . When you replace the windshield does the glass company replace this part with an after market part as the part looks to be just rubber. I need to know is this part of the process. OEM Part # is 20818154 .Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is the rubber part that goes around the edge of the glass itself? To bridge between the glass and the frame on the outside of the car?

If so then yes, any windshield place will have it, and they generally refer to it as a gasket. There are are few different generics shapes for it which may or may not exactly duplicate the original.

Maybe it's a coupe thing but my solstice does not have one installed, and a lot of cars built in the past 10-15 years or so won't either. As manufacturing tolerances have gotten tighter and pennies pinched harder it's been done away with.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My GM Dealership finally managed to find part #20818154 from a salvage company in good shape & it wasn't cheap as the cost new was over $400 when they were available. The parts manager said the the rubber strip goes at the top were the roof lays & runs down between the two mirrors its 2.5 inches wide. This took me a few years to find & as usual a real learning curve for me as i'm light years behind in knowledge as compared to a lot on this site. He also said the rear window is still available at around $400 -$500 in Canada currency .

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I had no problems getting one a while ago when my windshield cracked but they may have run out since. Glad you found one and hope neither of us ever needs another!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I think you all are getting parts confused. The part number in question#20818154 is the seal between the windshield header and the top. The seal around the windshield glass usually come with a new windshield and really can't be replaced without removing the windshield it self. Even though GM shows the same part number for both the Sky and Solstice (20818154) there is a slight difference between them.

Image one show the discontinued part. Image two shows the windshield glass seal.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Hoosier.

The windshield to top seal is apparently a composite made up of three different parts. CW can explain it. Having one as a spare is a great idea.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Thanks Hoosier & Rob for explaining it. What you posted was explained to me by the parts manager at my G.M. Dealership & had the pic you posted . You have no idea how many G.M. Dealerships i called in both countries that had it wrong thinking it was the seal around the windshield & that the auto glass companies would take care of it. I went around in circles on this one.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts