Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is whether you folks think that the Solstice curb weight is justifiable given that its projected weight is in the 2900 lb range while the MR2 weighs in at 2195. The power to weigt ratios are similar. What do we get in return for the weight?

·
Registered
753 Posts
i think what we are going to get is a larger car overall with a rigid chassis that will allow a more compliant suspension, a more spacious cabin, sufficient power, good handling, a great looking body and a 20G price.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
We've had a discussion about weight before somewhat, I'll see if I can find the link so I can pull some info from it. (Found it [LINK])

Personally I think the weight is a little too much. However I'm used to my ZX2, older Porsche 924,944,968's and several other 2+2 cars that are all about 2400 lbs. The MR2 like you mentioned also. Problem is I'm not used to owning an average sized convertible roadster yet. You have to remember being a convertible adds a lot of weight to a car. For example the Pontiac Sunfire weighs ~2400 lbs, but the convertible version weighs ~2900 lbs. The MR2 and the Miata are much smaller cars compared to the Solstice and most other roadsters so they get weight savings from this. However both have much smaller engines. But the Miata might be getting the Renesis engine which would give it a huge boost. This [POST] in particular made me realise that the Solstice is actually very average when it comes to weight. I'd love to have a coupe version of the Solstice, which of course would weigh less I bet, but who knows when that would if it will exist.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The MR2 may advertise 2200 lbs, but I've seen weights at autocrosses (where someone brings their scales and lets a few weigh their cars) or track days. Most of those (all five of them over the last three years) were 2270 - 2320 lbs wet. I think the MR2 weight (at least for the later model ones) that you are quoting is incorrect.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26

The weight of most front engine RWD convertibles is mostly determined by the size of the vehicle. I didn't think to put the MR2 dimensions on it - but may not be an apples-to-apples because mid-engine cars tend to have similar weight efficiencies with size as a FWD front engine (in other words, there is a 3-5% advantage to a FWD configuration).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't forget that Solstice is the first of a family of cars. If all are about the same weight/balance then all can use the same components and possibly the same NHTSA and EPA testing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You know I was just thinking, and please forgive the change of subject, I think solsticeman may have just found the new PR face of pontiac in his avatar, "PONTIAC: FIGHTING HIGH PRICED INJUSTICE AND LOOKING DAMN GOOD WHILE DOING IT!" :cheers, hes got my vote :patriot

·
Registered
183 Posts
Given that it's only 1 inch less wide than a c5 corvette that weight isn't really high. A S2000 is around the same thing and the room isn't nearly as good as it looks in the solstice. The footwells look much bigger. Having sat in the passenger side of the s2000 to me it wasn't roomy. Driving it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The current MR2, (MKIII, Spyder, whatever) may be lighter, but as mentioned here it is a much, much smaller car. The horsepower figures I've seen are still down in the 130 range. I own a MKII (1991) which was a much bigger and heavier car - more of a GT - and I've done some comparison of stats between that car and the Solstice and size / weight dimensions are much closer.

My car, which is normally aspirated and has T-tops (thus heavier) is only slightly lighter than the projected weight of the Solstice and I only have 130 hp to play with. In most cases, that power to weight is sufficient.

In fact, the Solstice is nearly identical in weight to the turbocharged version of the MKII MR2, which rates around 200hp.

·
Registered
81 Posts
OHNOTHIMAGEN said:
In fact, the Solstice is nearly identical in weight to the turbocharged version of the MKII MR2, which rates around 200hp.
Which is why, as a current owner of a MKII turbo, I'm so interested in the Solstice. :smile

It seems like a good replacement for my current car. Even if it's a tick or two slower in a straight line and through the twisties (which it may not be), it's fast enough, it should be easier to work on, and it's a convertible. I like the concept of the outgoing MR-Spider, but I just didn't think it would serve as a daily driver.

-Stephen M

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The weight is not really high for the size. In the past I have criticized its weight a little, but the more I think of it the more I believe it is in line with what it should be. Light weight is certainly an advantage in handling, but if it comes at the cost of structural rigidity, your not going to get much of a net gain. Chasis flex is bad for handling, and it hurts engineers ability to fine tune a suspension since it has to deal with the chasis flex. If it takes 2860 pounds to make the Solstice a vault solid structure, I can accept it.

Also your Miata weight is a little low. The '04 Miata curb weight range across all models goes from 2387 to 2447. Still lower, but not 2100.

As for other dimensions, the Solstice is 1.5 inches longer, 5.6 inches wider, 1.8 inches higher (although I am sure the beltline is much higher) nd the wheelbase is 5.9 inches longer. The added size in all directions adds up to a lot of extra steel on the Solstice that doesn't exists on the Miata. Plus you have the added weight of the Solstice's standard 18 inch wheels and tires, compared to the Miata's standard 16 inch rolling stock. Thats sure to add a significant increase.

Pontiac could have made it lighter if they made it smaller, but the interior would have become cramped, the weight of the sides would have dropped, and possibly the chasis would turn to jelly, and the wheels would look like doughnut spares with this cars styling. No thanks. I'll take all 2860 pounds worth! :thumbs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stephen M,

Another MR2 owner! And one that uses it as a daily driver in a northern climate to boot! I agree that the Solstice should be a whole lot easier to deal with in terms of engine access. I am also hoping that the Solstice might be slightly better in terms of all weather grip. I love the handling of the 2, but find it far too unpredictable in even minimal wintery-slick conditions.

Like you, I think with the right handling and gearing 170 hp could be just fine for daily driving. I just need enough grunt to make a pass when I need to.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
OHNOTHIMAGEN said:
Stephen M,

Another MR2 owner! And one that uses it as a daily driver in a northern climate to boot! I agree that the Solstice should be a whole lot easier to deal with in terms of engine access. I am also hoping that the Solstice might be slightly better in terms of all weather grip. I love the handling of the 2, but find it far too unpredictable in even minimal wintery-slick conditions.

Like you, I think with the right handling and gearing 170 hp could be just fine for daily driving. I just need enough grunt to make a pass when I need to.

I find that Fieros on slick pavement are a little hard to handle because of the lack of weight over the front axle. The rear tires definitely bite in better with all the weight over them, but the front tires tend to skate over the snow and ice more than in a front engine car. Since the Solstice should have a fairly balanced weight distribution, it should handle very well in poor weather. My biggest concern would be its low ground clearance in deeper snow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
OHNOTHIMAGEN said:
Stephen M,

Another MR2 owner! And one that uses it as a daily driver in a northern climate to boot!
Howdy, good to see another MR2 owner on board! I'm pretty lucky when it comes to driving my MR2 in the snow, in the sense that I almost never have to. Around here I've found that AWD really isn't necessary. In the 5 years I've been commuting in this area, there's maybe been like 5 days when I wouldn't have been comfortable driving my car on the roads...and work was closed like 4 of those days :). I've found that short of a blizzard, the roads are pretty well cleared within an hour or two of the snow. Usually I can just wait it out. The few times when I've been forced to drive in the snow I've managed just by sticking to major roads and keeping my foot off the loud pedal.

My experience has convinced me that I can get by with the Solstice as a daily driver. My only concern is the trunk space, or rather the lack thereof.

-Stephen M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts