Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weight on autoline Detroit

On the Autoline Detroit show they interviewed the head of the Kappa platform. One of the interviewers said that the rumor was the Solstice was going to weigh in at 2900 lbs in the context of competing with the lighter weight Miata. She did not correct him but pointed out that they could compete through more hp.

I sure hope that they don't let it go up to 2900 lbs.
:mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
2900 pounds isn't great, but it's not that bad compared to others like the Audi TT (3472 lbs w/250 hp), Porsche Boxster (2811 lbs, 228 hp), etc.

Especially when you consider the supercharged version.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The curb weight of the Honda S2000 is listed as 2835 lbs. The Solstice is wider and has a bigger engine, so if it weighs close to the Honda S2000 it sounds correct.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have seen the 170HP numbers, but has anything been mentioned in regards to torque? In thinking about a car the same weight as the S2000, the Solstice would be at a substantial disadvantage in HP. However, the S2000 makes horrendous torque, so the Solstice engine will likely make up for it there, although surely not to the same degree. Then again, the S2000 costs about what the supercharged Solstice will cost.

·
Registered
51 Posts
GMFan said:
I didn't realize the TT was that heavy for such a small car - wow. Hefty!
No kidding! What a porker.

Torque is going to be key. I don't want to have to rev up to 6500 RPM to get a good launch. Torque is king.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I believe HP and Torque are both stated at 170 for the base engine. I have not seen RPMS for those. Looking at other vehicles that use the engine, it should have good low end torque, and pretty flat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the information. If the torque kicks in relatively low than 170 should be decent. For daily driving a torque curve that does not kick in until high R's is not very livable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why so heavy?

I think the Solstice is quoted to being 2800lbs. How can a 2 seater be so heavy? Look at the Miata, not the Z4.

Also, 18in wheels? Does it handle so poorly that it needs 18's?

Tony

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why do you think poor handling requires larger wheels to compensate? Your post makes not sense IMHO.

Why does a Miata weigh as much as it does? The thing is a porker compared to a Caterham.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Keep in mind that the dimensions of the Solstice are larger than the Miata. The Miate is definitely a VERY small car. The Solstice is small too, but a bit larger, and probably more comfortable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Why so heavy?

db7am said:
I think the Solstice is quoted to being 2800lbs. How can a 2 seater be so heavy? Look at the Miata, not the Z4.

Also, 18in wheels? Does it handle so poorly that it needs 18's?

Tony
The car has similar structure as the C5/C6 making it a very rigid structure. It is bigger than the Miata, (unbelievable leg room), and the wheel size only enhances the handling, not sure why you think a tire would correct a handling flaw anyway?:confused

·
Registered
9 Posts
Even if the tires helped for some reason why wouldn't you put the best handling tire/wheel combination on? :rolleyes It all adds up.

What size tire/wheel does the Miata use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
As an owner of a Miata, WRX and 300ZX TT, and a potential customer for a Solstice, I was immediately concerned with the probable relatively heavy weight projected for the Solstice. While my Miata is the slowest of my cars, it is often the most fun to drive. Its light weight makes the handling and feel an experience you can never get enough of! :nono

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wow, 2900 lbs would be disappointing. It's easy to mod for more power, but difficult to strip out weight. The most enjoyable aspect of a roadster should be it's light weight and handling. The power, I'll take care of myself.

·
Registered
535 Posts
L8APEX said:
Even if the tires helped for some reason why wouldn't you put the best handling tire/wheel combination on? :rolleyes It all adds up.

What size tire/wheel does the Miata use?
The Miata can be had with 15's or 16's depending on package and I think the upcoming Mazdaspeed version will have 17's.

Actually, I don't mind vehicles coming with larger wheels because it is easier to get light weight aftermarket wheels that will improve acceleration, but 18's are a little big out of the box. It's hard to find lightweight 18's and the ones that are out there are astronomically priced.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts