Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Weird dashboard issue

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ylgtwcat 
#1 ·
Yesterday and today, happened once per day.
During my drive, I noticed the fuel gauge, the rmp gauge drop to 0 and then went back, there are 3-4 warning lights on the low row of the dashboard blink one after the one in sequence. all repeated about 3 times. And the display window did not respond to my selection. It was on coolant temp but jump to other parameters by itself.
It lasted about 5-10 seconds and everything back to normal, during that period, the car still run smoothly.
Any suggestion?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Check the main grounding points for looseness or corrosion: On the right side frame rail below the hood hinge, and under the center armrest.

Also check and re-seat all of the fuses and relays in the Underhod Fuse Block and the Body Control Module.

#3 ·
You should also check the connections at the started. there have been reports of corrosion and it causing electrical problems. The alternator attaches to the tarter as does the batter so if there is a bad connection you will get voltage spiking and all kinds of noise that will cause the modules in the car to act up.

#4 ·
Hi, Thanks for all your replys. I do have some updates on this issue now.
I notice all three incidences all happened when the weather was very hot and I had my air conditioner on. I was also trapped in heavy traffic, which means the speed was low. The other days when the air conditioner is off, I had no issue at all. I have checked the connections, the fuse, they all look good. Now I begin to think the battery is the cause, but if the battery is the problem, why car drive had no issue, only the cluster.

#5 ·
Hi, Thanks for all your replys. I do have some updates on this issue now.
I notice all three incidences all happened when the weather was very hot and I had my air conditioner on. I was also trapped in heavy traffic, which means the speed was low. The other days when the air conditioner is off, I had no issue at all. I have checked the connections, the fuse, they all look good. Now I begin to think the battery is the cause, but if the battery is the problem, why car drive had no issue, only the cluster.
Did you check the grounds and fuses? More power draw and lower generator output could combine with a bad connection to give you lower voltage at the control module.

#7 ·
check the connections at the starter. This is a known location for corrosion and the alternator is connected here. The additional current draw from the AC being on coupled with the excessive heat and less efficiency of the alternator is going to mean a lower voltage output from the alternator and that lower voltage would cause electronics to have a higher current draw and it might be right at the tipping point for how much load can cross a bad connection.

The computer systems in our cars is hyper sensitive to variations in voltages. This has something to do with how the 5 volt reference system was designed in the ECM. That system is used to feed a lot of sensors and if that voltage changes while the car is in operation it is going to screw up the sensor reading and cause all kinds of problems.

#8 ·
Finally, I think I fixed the issue. I saw other people disscued similar issue on other car and metioned that the issue was due to sensor from air intake. So I changed the air filter. Since then, the problem never came back again, so far, one month has passed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.