Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have some welding done on the frame of my 2006.
I have a couple questions for the gurus on this forum.
Is the ECM the only control module on the car?
Will just unplugging it be sufficient protection after disconnecting the battery?
All help or advice greatly appreciated.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,426 Posts
I need to have some welding done on the frame of my 2006.
I have a couple questions for the gurus on this forum.
Is the ECM the only control module on the car?
Will just unplugging it be sufficient protection after disconnecting the battery?
All help or advice greatly appreciated.
Welcome back, my friend. There is also a Body Control Module (BCM) located in the passenger footwell at the furthest forward part. Otherwise known as a fuse box. If you have an automatic transmission, there is a TCM located right next to the ECM.

Hope this helps.

Dave OC

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave!!!!

Long time no see.
All well in your neck of the woods?

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh by the way.......
If I had an 06 with an automatic I'd be sitting on a gold mine!
:wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
Other electronic devices are the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver, the Electronic Brake Control Module, the Airbag System and Diagnostics Module, and the Radio.

I have not heard of problems from welding if the battery is disconnected and the welder is properly grounded near the point of welding, but I will say that I have not personally done any welding on a Kappa.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good info so far. Want to make sure there weren't any hidden gems I didn't know about.
The guy doing the work does build lowriders so I think I can trust him.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,426 Posts
Thanks Dave!!!!

Long time no see.
All well in your neck of the woods?
Yes, siree. The reference for the auto was so that someone wouldn't be fooled in the future. General purpose answer. You never know who is gonna rely on these answers down the road. (And I forgot about the 2006 no auto trans issue).

>:)

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I am a retired welder and Vocational School welding teacher. Have worked on many a stock vehicle, race cars and street rods but have never touched one of the new fangled, loaded with electronics vehicles. If I had to work on my solstice, the battery would be completely disconnected. As stated above, keep the ground as close to the weld zone as possible.
I've welded gas tanks, frames, body panels and engine components with no issues. Although I did fry the complete wiring harness on a old Chevy once...a bit of an embarrassment.
Alas...I am no longer allowed to weld due to a pacemaker stuck in my chest. Can't work around a running engine, either.
At the very least, disconnect and isolate that battery.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input everyone.
I plan to do battery and unplug the ECM just to be safe.
Project suppose to take place this weekend.
I'll report back on how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
I honestly think you are safer to leave everything plugged into the harnesses, and only remove power by disconnecting the battery. Unplugging the ECM may make it slightly safer, but the unconnected wires that now go to the other modules could act as an antenna and put them at a slightly greater risk. Or not.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
Glad everything worked for you. I looks like a solid repair.

It is a little disturbing to see that much rust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts