Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the steel/sand leather seats with the logic that they might stay cooler than black leather in the sun and maybe comparable to the cloth. Any body sit in the steel/sand leather that was heated by sun in Detroit? Did you burn the old bum or not? Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wore shorts in the black leather equipped car I drove. No problems on a 85degF and sunny day in MI. Now a sunny day in AZ or NV might be another story.... :cuss:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Before any of the First 1000 had a chance to drive the cars, a few GM people were moving cars to the other side of the street for display. One young lady had a pair of shorts on. I was looking inside the car when she got in and moved it. She said the seat was really hot (ebony leather). I asked if the two-tone was as hot and she said that two-tone was much less hot. So, there you go. Standard logic prevails.

B

·
0 Posts
Steel/Sand may be a bit cooler, but in the Southern Arizona summer, EVERYTHING is hot!

That's okay though, because my Sly Solstice with Ebony Leather is going to look sharp!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Zolsol said:
I ordered the steel/sand leather seats with the logic that they might stay cooler than black leather in the sun and maybe comparable to the cloth. Any body sit in the steel/sand leather that was heated by sun in Detroit? Did you burn the old bum or not? Thanks.

Guess I'm used to it (or at least I welcome the rare warm sunny days in Detroit)...seats were ebony... was glad to start engine to get ac going...seats were very comfortable...I'll stay with leather...I think it's the right choice for us northern folks!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's been so hot here in NJ the last week that I've had to park my Grand Prix on the lower level of the parking garage. When parked upstairs in the sun, two days in a row I got into my dark gray seats and they scalded my legs, even with long pants on. Normally the seats don't get hot enough to inflict pain, but on those days it hurt!

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Soul Stiz said:
It's been so hot here in NJ the last week that I've had to park my Grand Prix on the lower level of the parking garage. When parked upstairs in the sun, two days in a row I got into my dark gray seats and they scalded my legs, even with long pants on. Normally the seats don't get hot enough to inflict pain, but on those days it hurt!
You just experienced May-August in the South. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I've been driving a convertible with vinyl seats (which get hotter than leather) for thirty years in AZ, and it hasn't done any permanent damage yet!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I'm used to just turning on the AC and/or opening the sunroof/top and waiting about 2 minutes before I get in the car so the "blast furnace" can expell all the heat.

·
Registered
184 Posts
:agree: Same here. Turn the AC on first before getting in. The Las Vegas heat doesn't care what color your leather seats are. I have tan in my lexus and sitting on those in the midday is just like sitting on a stove top at full blast......

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Sol Survivor said:
:agree: Same here. Turn the AC on first before getting in. ...
I think you have to get in the car to turn on the AC. The damage is done by then. I know what you meant, but it sounds like you can remotely turn on your AC without getting in. Man that would be a cool feature.

I usually open the door. Let the heat poor out. Then pop the top. Let more heat out. Then turn on car and crank the AC. :) Of course, no leather or vinal.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I always put a towel over my seats when it will be out in the sun, keeps them cool enough that you don't get that unsightly "crack sweat". Plus don't get black leather unless you are a glutton for punishment.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
danlbrau said:
I always put a towel over my seats when it will be out in the sun, keeps them cool enough that you don't get that unsightly "crack sweat". Plus don't get black leather unless you are a glutton for punishment.
Yep, we discussed the towel method in an older thread. Works every time! :yesnod:

P.S. "crack sweat" :glol:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stang said:
I think you have to get in the car to turn on the AC. The damage is done by then. I know what you meant, but it sounds like you can remotely turn on your AC without getting in. Man that would be a cool feature.

I usually open the door. Let the heat poor out. Then pop the top. Let more heat out. Then turn on car and crank the AC. :) Of course, no leather or vinal.
I seem to remember a thread about remote start being available for a manual shift like the sol. With that just leave the ac on and do a remote start. Then get in your cool car! :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Zolsol said:
I seem to remember a thread about remote start being available for a manual shift like the sol. With that just leave the ac on and do a remote start. Then get in your cool car! :yesnod:
That would cool. Has a James Bond feel to it.

*In a Sean Connery voice*
Well, that's a neat trick! :cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Having sat in both the black and the two-tone, I can attest to the fact that the two-tone is far lighter. The gun-metal gray is quite light-gray-blue in color, so it should reflect some of the light and heat. But any car gets hot when it sits in the sun. Being a small interior, I think openning the doors and letting it air out for a few seconds will help regardless of which seat option you ordered.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts