Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we all have our Solstices,Were will be the first place you go for a drive,
I will head to the White Mts. In New Hampshire ,Hope Its not snowing by then.
Would like to take in the Fall Colors,How about You.

·
4,592 Posts
Andrew Jackson said:
Cool place, I went through there in late summer in the late 80's. Have you been to the Flume, I remember it very well?

·
Registered
397 Posts
fabfourqueen said:
My first trip will be on Highway 1, the California Coast...as long as I get my car while we still have sunny days.
I second that!!
Although it can get a little chilly here in SoCal come winter (chilly being a relative term ;) ) I'll still be making my route 1 cruise!

I feel for our bretheren back east though - I have a feeling it's going to be a LONG winter for some. Keep the faith fellas.

...A true American roadster roaring up the California coast in the sunshine - it doesn't get much better than that!! :cool:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like those ideas! But I cant decide which one is better Monterey or Hwy 1. So I will do both. I will head on over to Monterey, then continue up Hwy 1 along the coast up to San Francisco and go across the Golden Gate. :cool:

·
5,600 Posts
Without a doubt, California Highway 1 from San Francisco south to Monterey. The changes in speeds, the frequent shifting and braking are ideal for the 500 mile break-in. Can't joyride so much as I'll be watching the tach more than anything else. But guaranteed, this will be my first couple of drives up to 500 miles will be on Rte 1. Then a quick oil change and on with the rest of the break in - back on beautiful ocean view Highway 1. I can't think of a more enjoyable place to do it. Even breaks in the steering box. :lol:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'll probably take a trip up the west side of the Door Penninsula, north from Green Bay, and back down the east side. 160 miles +- That is if it isn't November and the snow if flying, in which case it could be making a trip straight to my garage from the dealer! :lol:

·
Registered
504 Posts
After the break-in will be heading into the great north woods of the Adirondack Mountains.There are some nice twisty roads up and down the mountain sides.Been there many times on my Harley,can't wait to do it in the green machine!!! :yesnod: :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I have been told the "Tail of the Dragon" in North Carolina is a fantastic trip to take. Maybe after I have gone through the required break-in period, I may see if there are any Forum members in the area and try to meet them for a run of the Dragon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
PASS22, Door County is great. As a Green Bay native I know it well. Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Ephraim, Sister Bay, Ellison Bay, and don't forget that great road that sloloms between the telephone poles east from Gills Rock to Northport. If the summer season is still going you'll draw a lot of looks while driving past the custard shop in Fish Creek.

Here on the prairie around Minneapolis, frankly, a lot of boring roads. I plan to take mine north toward Hayward, Wisconsin, up to Bayfield, and drive along Lake Superior. Beautiful, deserted roads always within sight of this great inland sea.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
240ZRX7MiataSol said:
PASS22, Door County is great. As a Green Bay native I know it well. Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Ephraim, Sister Bay, Ellison Bay, and don't forget that great road that sloloms between the telephone poles east from Gills Rock to Northport. If the summer season is still going you'll draw a lot of looks while driving past the custard shop in Fish Creek.

Here on the prairie around Minneapolis, frankly, a lot of boring roads. I plan to take mine north toward Hayward, Wisconsin, up to Bayfield, and drive along Lake Superior. Beautiful, deserted roads always within sight of this great inland sea.
The drive to the Porte Des Morte (sic?) at the tip of the Door is one the best weekend trips in the midwest. My favorite stop is Ephriam. Nice and twisty, but slow speed limit roads.

The fun driving roads are fast disappearing, but here and there are a few miles of twists and dips that will put the Sol to the test. An example of this is highway 67 north of Elkart Lake which used to be a total joy to drive (especially after a race!) but now the last mile or so has been straigthened. Progress. Not.

I live on the west shore of Green Bay. Can see the lights of Sturgeon Bay at night but its over 90 miles from here by car!

Another great run (for the scenery anyway) is up M35 to Escanaba and across US2 to St. Ignace. I want to do the east Mississippi River run from LaCrosse south sometime.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Andrew Jackson said:
If it is (snowing), then I'll have to fit the tires with chains :lol: and do some serious... :eek: :eek: :eek: with the top down!!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I have been told the "Tail of the Dragon" in North Carolina is a fantastic trip to take. Maybe after I have gone through the required break-in period, I may see if there are any Forum members in the area and try to meet them for a run of the Dragon.
Wow! I was thinking of ideas for where to go with my new ride and I started thinking of taking a trip to St. Augustine down the Intercoastal Highway, and then I thought maybe I'd take a long weekend and head up to NC. (my family has a summer house there) and then I read your post and I was like "NC, huh? hm..." so I googled this dragon tail and it is RIGHT THERE! Our house is seriously like 30 minutes south of Deals Gap and the Dragon Tail.

That being said, I am TOTALLY up for a get together of some of us in the surrounding region to take on the Dragon! In fact, I may not even wait for a meet! Once the release date draws nearer and is more certain, I may take a long weekend when the car gets to the dealer and have someone drop me off there with my bag packed for the weekend and just head straight up there to enjoy my first few days with just me, my Sol, and the mountains. :D

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
dori-san said:
I may take a long weekend when the car gets to the dealer and have someone drop me off there with my bag packed for the weekend and just head straight up there
Just remember the trunk space when you pack your weekend bag ... otherwise, your buddy may have to follow you all the way up to NC if you want to bring your bag along. :lol:

·
Dragon Rider
1,071 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I hear ya, dude. Got a couple of friends at work, both bike riders, one rides a sport bike the other rides a cruiser. Both have run the Dragon before. I described the setup of the Solstice to them, one said, "Uh oh, I think I hear the Dragon calling." So yeah, I'd be interested in a group met and Dragon run.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts