Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another community is spinning with rumors of a WR-3 turbo. I was just wondering if/when details on this rumor will come to fruition from you guys :) I was ready to pull the trigger on the WR-2 since there really are no EFR turbos out there, but the rumors of the WR-3 are sounding much better!

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Another community is spinning with rumors of a WR-3 turbo. I was just wondering if/when details on this rumor will come to fruition from you guys :) I was ready to pull the trigger on the WR-2 since there really are no EFR turbos out there, but the rumors of the WR-3 are sounding much better!
thought you were selling the GXP and keeping the sunfire?

·
Registered
258 Posts
By another community are you talking about CSS.net?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Shhh... It's a secret.

They aren't even done with the proto type yet.

Werks needs to find the mole and silence them. LOL

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Huh, I too was going to pull the trigger on the WR-2 but I suppose I should hold out to hear about the "3". Can you post a link to said rumors?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blackbird, I kept the solstice and traded the sunfire.

Yes, it was on CSS.net, but I still consider it "rumor" at this point until someone from Werks can chime in.

This is the post that sparked my interest

As you can see, the rumor is a 510hp turbo with the same diameter turbine as the WR-2. That, to me, means it should hit 400whp at lower boost than the WR-2 while maintaining "similar" spool and threshold characteristics, which is EXACTLY what I want. :)

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Fact: There is going to be a WR-3.

Rumor: Everything else...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Like I said in that very thread. I'm guessing that Pwerks for this said WR-3 will just have a upgraded compressor housing with possibly larger wheels(slightly). I'm guessing that they're working with Precision on this. Dave where are you with info?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
40rty I'd be interested in what you're set up puts down. From the vendors' claims, it seems like the BNR2871 and the WR-2 would be very very similar both on the street and on the dyno, all else equal. Unfortunately, I do not have E85 readily available, so i'd be 93+ a touch of meth.

·
Registered
258 Posts
93+ Meth can make good power as well. What % will your mix be?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm running ~80% right now, and that's back down to the 3gph nozzle. Any more, and it really starts affecting fuel trims. Like, when you let off after a pull, the residual pulls the trims way negative, and I didn't want to deal with it because it was inconsistent. Maybe with more airflow, i can go to back to the 4gph, but not holding my breath.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wait for the EFR... it won't be much longer, and it won't be some hybrid disaster using a bored out stock turbine housing.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Um... some of the best turbos out there are hybrids...

Ever heard of the t3/t4 and the thousands of combos those produce?

Lol at Hybrid turbos being bad.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wait for the EFR... it won't be much longer, and it won't be some hybrid disaster using a bored out stock turbine housing.
Any proof that it won't be much longer?

Also, I wouldn't call the 391whp that werks made on the WR-2 a "disaster". I love sleeper upgrades that use stock parts - that's part of what being factor forced induction is all about, cheap, simple and effective upgrades. Have you also made similar comments on hybrid upgrades for EVOs and STIs? Because there are a ton for them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah poor choice of words, sorry... the larger turbine wheel in the housing specifically designed for a smaller size can lead to issues with high cycle fatigue and lowers turbine efficiency, but I know, it is an easy upgrade.

T3/T4's are not similar to the lnf upgrade turbos in that the housing and wheels have been designed together on those. Just because there are a lot of something being sold doesn't make it good, either.

Sorry, no proof of EFRs except that I work 100 yards from the production line.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah poor choice of words, sorry... the larger turbine wheel in the housing specifically designed for a smaller size can lead to issues with high cycle fatigue and lowers turbine efficiency, but I know, it is an easy upgrade.

T3/T4's are not similar to the lnf upgrade turbos in that the housing and wheels have been designed together on those. Just because there are a lot of something being sold doesn't make it good, either.

Just because you work 100 yards from the production line doesn't validate that what you say is any good either. EFR's are good turbos but until I see them start to be readily available(IE I see, buy and it ships to my door) then anyone saying this or that is just blowing smoke up there ass. Plain and simply put.

I got a simple BNR with larger turbine in the stock turbine housing at 27psi and it pulls well to 7600rpm and I'm well in my efficiency range of the turbo.

·
Registered
676 Posts

:lol: i wont hold my breath

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will the WR-3 be a stock bolt-on replacement item as is the current WR-2?
That is a good question. It's all rumor and speculation at this point, but the post on cobaltss.net suggests that it is just a WR-2 with a larger compressor wheel. We'll just have to wait and see.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts