Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

From: http://www.opel-web.de/Zeichnungen/Motoren/Motoren.htm
Oh my GOSH! It's a turbo! I thought those of you who are behind the higher HP version of the Solstice keep saying "GM doesn't DO turbos". "The higher HP engine will be the Cobalt/ION Redline Supercharger"

Well, then, what's this?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Opel does a lot of the design work for Vauxhall, and the Vauxhall VX220 and VXR220 have been turbo ECOTECs. Along with several of their other cars. So that's more then likely the Opel Speedster/VX220 engine. The position of the intercooler off to the far side is also where the rear air intake on the Opel and Vauxhall would allow air to pass over it.

We see a lot of Turbochargers in GM's Euro devisions, but the USA GM cars all seem to be Supercharged right now. I've been one of the big supporters of the Supercharger idea, but I've never said GM doesn't do Turbochargers. I've just made hypothesis based off the given information and USA GM current car line-up. Along with the latest announcements, and products they've been releasing/announcing. Even the Vauxhall VX Lightning Concept uses a Supercharged engine. Doesn't mean it wont get replaced with a Turbocharged engine though.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If this is the engine from the Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220 then it's a mid mounted engine, which leaves extremely little room for components in the engine bay. The only other alternative is to run piping all the way to the front of the car to mount the intercooler there.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:

]
Oh my GOSH! It's a turbo!
:lol Your too much! :thumbs

The expectation that GM will use a supercharger over a turbo isn’t because they don’t have turbos, but that they have not been using them in North America outside of Saab. I think they have a feeling that the supercharger gives them an edge because it eliminates turbo lag, and gives them better low end torque and response. Since they are already using supercharged Ecotecs in this country, and have certified them for use, it would most likely be the cheapest way for them to increase the Solstice’s horsepower, instead of importing and certifying another engine for what would be a low volume at this point.

However, I also know that GM has been talking up turbos lately, so it is possible we will see a turbo instead. It just doesn’t seem like the best financial option to GM, and they almost always think with their bean counters, not their car-guys.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Bizz said:
nothing really if you want to remain stock. bulletproof, reliable, etc. but, its also the most thermally inefficient of any power adder.
True Dat! but unless you are looking for insane power levels, you should be able to squeeze what you need out of it unless they forgo cooling all together. Hmm, I've never considered whether GM ever provides for something like liquid cooling / heat exchangers on their OEM S/C's? Anyone? Shoot, I'd hate to be limited to 4 - 6 psi. Come on TURBO!!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I know the Supercharger on the Saturn Red Linne and the SS Cobalt are intercooled. I'm looking up what exactly what type of intercooler, I think it's air-to-liquid if I remember correctly. Looking on line shows that yes, it's a air-to-liquid intercooler. It also has oil coolers too. The Supercharger on the Red Line and SS also run at 12psi of boost.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I looked up the Vibe and Cavalier Superchargers you can get from GM Performance Parts, and those do not seem to come with intercoolers. The Vibe Supercharger runs at 7.5 psi and the Cavalier/Sunfire are apparently only 4.5 psi it seems form what I've seen online. I thought previuosly it was closer to 8 psi.

Those are the only two superchargers you can actually buy from GM Performance Parts. You can buy the ECOTEC 2.0L Supercharged crate engine, 3800 Series II Supercharged Production Engine, and the 3800 Series III Supercharged Production Engine. I've had no luck finding out if the 3800's are intercooled or not though.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Intercooling is key. If you're going to boost, you need to cool. If not, it's really not worth spending the money and putting all that crap on your engine. Just my opinion of course. :cheers

·
Registered
281 Posts
brentil said:
I looked up the Vibe and Cavalier Superchargers you can get from GM Performance Parts, and those do not seem to come with intercoolers. The Vibe Supercharger runs at 7.5 psi and the Cavalier/Sunfire are apparently only 4.5 psi it seems form what I've seen online. I thought previuosly it was closer to 8 psi.

Those are the only two superchargers you can actually buy from GM Performance Parts. You can buy the ECOTEC 2.0L Supercharged crate engine, 3800 Series II Supercharged Production Engine, and the 3800 Series III Supercharged Production Engine. I've had no luck finding out if the 3800's are intercooled or not though.
the ion/cobalt are the first factory IC'd cars from GM since the buick GN and pontiac T/TA. which, up to this point were the only ones. wait, uh, i think they were IC'd from the factory. all the GNs ive seen have been cooled, but hey, when was the last time you saw one of those stock? :jester

·
Registered
535 Posts
AeroDave said:
Intercooling is key. If you're going to boost, you need to cool. If not, it's really not worth spending the money and putting all that crap on your engine. Just my opinion of course. :cheers
Yeah, no point going S/C'd if you are going to be limited to well under half a Bar. Once again, "come on turbo!"

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Yeah, no point going S/C'd if you are going to be limited to well under half a Bar. Once again, "come on turbo!"
There's really no point doing Turbocharger too unless it's intercooled.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts