Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been reading throughout the forum and slowly putting together a road trip parts kit. In Canada you can be a long way between part shops and could be stuck for a while waiting for a simple part. Any common failure parts worthwhile carrying? So far this is what I have;

Air pump (missing from car when purchased)
Tire repair kit
Small scissor jack
Jack point pucks
Compact tire lug wrench
Water pump with gaskets, thermostat, sprocket holder
Fan control module

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
My car doesn't go on long road trips anymore. Just within an hour or so. NASSAM will be the first long road trip for it in over 6 years. And that's only about 5 hours. Fingers crossed I have no issues.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
My vehicles are equipped with a bag of survival packages apart from the basics like booster pack, jumper cables, oil, coolant, tire repair kit, water etc.
While I enjoy working on my car in the garage, I can't see myself making any moderate repairs on the side of the road. I'd just call BCAA and have it towed back to my house or dealership (if really bad). That's what roadside assistance is for.
My neighbor performed a repair for his truck while road tripping in the Arizona and got bitten by a snake!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with road side repairs, it’s has more to do with having the common break down parts so as not to be stuck in a hotel for a week waiting for parts.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
ah but...

there are stories on the forum where:
  • Dr Dave of DDMworks fixed a water pump on the side of the road,
  • people at NASSAM doing major surgery on their cars becase something stupid happened during their cruises

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’ve been reading throughout the forum and slowly putting together a road trip parts kit. In Canada you can be a long way between part shops and could be stuck for a while waiting for a simple part. Any common failure parts worthwhile carrying? So far this is what I have;

Air pump (missing from car when purchased)
Tire repair kit
Small scissor jack
Jack point pucks
Compact tire lug wrench
Water pump with gaskets, thermostat, sprocket holder
Fan control module
Oh me boy. Carrying a water pump. That is not a side of the road operation... But I suppose you could have the parts for a nearby shop to use... Innnnteresting. Add a thermostat to that. When you change the water pump, you might as well change the thermostat.

·
Registered
865 Posts
When the water pumps fail they typically do not leak while the car is running, they dump when you turn it off. if you carry a water pump this would be so you have the part to allow a shop to do it. They can dump while driving but I believe this does not happen often. I would carry 2 gallons of water. 4 quarts of oil, a large bottle of brake fluid (only a new bottle because if it tips over the fluid will seep past the cap, i know this from experience). The HPFP when it fails the car is still operable, I was able to limp mine home when it failed. The LPFP is enough to get the car up to 20MPH so long as you are easy with the accelerator. Both the water pump and the HPFP can be gotten the next day if needs be and are not difficult parts to locate.

Full set of sockets, I am talking all sizes up to 21mm and 7/8" in 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" drive for both 6 point and 12 point. the full assortment of extensions, and swivel extensions. 6 Philips and 6 flat screw drivers varying length and size. full set of wrenches up to 21 mm and 7/8".

a pair of these.
and a pair of these

the car is not going to be cold if fixing it in the side of the road a burn is not going too make the job of repair any less pleasant, and with the car broken down if you cut yourself and need medical attention it is not going to be easily gotten without calling for an ambulance. so cut resistant is pretty important too.

pitch the OE style jack in favor of this.

it's easily transported and has a large flat base to it and has much less risk of tipping over. no need for a jack stand because of the type of jack it is, it will not lower on it's own.

a couple of these.

they can be used to patch a hole in a radiator line if needs be. enough for you to get to the nearest parts store anyway.

Oh and bring a 2ft breaker bar or a 1/2" ratchet with extending handle.
I am not a harbor freight guy, I happen to be in there with a friend who was getting something and I saw one of these. I bought it. it's very well built and worth every penny of the 20 bucks it costs. I think that this is the ultimate road trip tool. It is a 1/2" breaker bar and a 1/2" ratchet all in one. I have used it to take VW axle nuts off. and these nuts are torqued too something like 170lbft and then another 1/2 turn after that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not enough room for tools, can get them anywhere, I’m more interested in common parts that break. If I have them with me l can get it fixed, or fix it myself in any little town. North of the border is not like south. Finding parts are not next day, and if they are they won’t be a $200 HPFP, more like $700. Forgot to add the thermostat, my Gates thermostat arrived yesterday and it tested perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
89 Posts
Full set of sockets, I am talking all sizes up to 21mm and 7/8" in 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" drive for both 6 point and 12 point. the full assortment of extensions, and swivel extensions. 6 Philips and 6 flat screw drivers varying length and size. full set of wrenches up to 21 mm and 7/8".

Kurt:
After seeing your garage, I'm surprised you don't have a couple of rollaways on wheels you can pull behind. Maybe a full-sized lift. And a 30 gal compressor for the tough stuff......

Greg

·
Registered
865 Posts
Not enough room for tools
Ohhhh... you haven't learned how to pack the solstice yet..... You would be really surprised at how much stuff you can actually get packed into those cars.

don't roll it. It will slide right under the front seat, that's all the wrenches and the 3 ratchets. with assortment of extensions

and there is the sockets that can slide under the other seat.

This is a better jack then the one I posted before. it's 1/2 the price for 1, and it lifts up to 14" instead of 6".. it's only 3.5" tall when collapsed fully. it doesn't take up much space and has a large enough base where there is really no worry about it tipping over. small enough where it won't take up much room.

another suggestion.
Gates K504000RPM serpentine belt.

The power steering belt is optional, as you do not need too have it in order to use the vehicle. the belt above is not optional, it runs the alternator, that is needed to operate the car.. The belt above is not a Solstice/Sky specific belt. the specific belt measures 402mm or 403mm but gates does not make a high RPM belt specific to our vehicle. The 400mm belt does fit on the 2.0, you have put the belt onto the tensioner last since it doesn't have a lip on it and rides against the back of the belt the belt will just make it on. if you attempt to put the belt onto say the alternator last, you will not be able to get the belt on. The tensioner is going to be pushed all the way out. The belt with stretch 1 to 2 mm once it gets hot and there will be some play in the tensioner after that happens.

@granliday
who's Kurt?

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
89 Posts
@granliday
who's Kurt?
[/QUOTE]
Sorry. Thought I had seen another post from someone who referred to you as "Kurt", and it seemed to go with the UID.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I purchased a gates belt that was for a 2.0 and 2.4 , is it different construction from RPM
Serpentine Belt by GATES - K050402

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yes it is a different construction. The RPM belts are designed to hold together better under higher operating temperatures. High RPM will cause the belt to get hotter because of the friction against the pulleys. a long road trip is also going to put stress on the belt in the form of heat maybe noot as much heat as high RPM, but on a road trip that heat is going to be there for a long while on that belt. That will take it's toll.

The also stretch less when they get hot. less chance of the belt jumping or slipping. The RPM line of belts is the highest grade belt that Gates makes. It is a racetrack grade belt.

@granliday
Nope, names not Kurt.. It's Kevin... No worries tho I have been called far worse 🤪

When I make a road trip I don't pull the tool box behind my car.. I will make sure that I have the essential tools to fix the stupid things that can happen. Like a coupling popping off one of the charge pipes. Removing a tail light to replace a burnt out bulb. replace an exhaust hanger without using a metal coat hanger... Those kinds of things. The jack would be to lift the car up in the event something gets stuck under the car.. like an unavoidable tumble tree.. or a retread... No way would you catch me laying on the ground on the side of the highway on the drivers side of the car in the breakdown lane. Not a chance in hell. so if something is stuck on the driver side I would not be able to reach it from the passengers side without lifting the car up.

That little compressor and can of fix a flat the car comes with. It's useless and simply takes up space. Ever seen what a tire looks like when it goes flat while driving at 60-70 mph? that compressor and fix a flat isn't going to fix that tire by time you get the car over to the breakdown lane and stopped. I would be surprised if the tire is still there...

Slow leak... that's what the TPMS is for. You will know there is a problem with enough time to get the thing fixed at a tire place. Ignore the TPMS light, sit on the side of the highway....

I would change a belt, or replace the upper radiator hose on the side of the road.. patch the lower hose depending on where the leak is.. simple things. While I could do a water pump on the side of the highway, I would prefer a parking lot at the very least :ROFLMAO:. I can replace a water pump in < 2 hours, never take the turbo out, disconnect the cat or unbolt the motor mount to lift the engine up. but only if I have the proper tools with me.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Gates description of the RPM belt

Gates RPM belts are specifically engineered for forced induction and high-output engines. Featuring a high-modulus, low stretch Aramid or Polyester tensile cord, nylon-fiber reinforced undercord, and dual adhesion gum layers,these belts can handle more power and withstand more punishment than any other belt on the market.

Their standard belt is made form EPDM rubber

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No TMPS on my car and would never use a can of slime. Rather than have my car destroyed by towing, carrier etc l carry a jack to remove the tire for repair or lift the car to repair the hole myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts