Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is directed at those of you who own or have owned a convertible. On some roadster convertibles. ie. S2000 there is a rear wind deflector behind and or between the seats on the rear deck. It can be flipped up when desired. How effective is this item and why not on the Solstice? I did not see it in the dealer options' list. Do the cowlings (think thats what those head bumps are called) provide a similar function? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I think part of it has to due with the cowls behind the seats and the back end of the car coming up higher on the back of the seats compared to the S2000 or Miata. Since it's up higher I think it would in essence provide the same features as the wind screen on the other cars. However I bet someone could make one aftermarket of course, might look really cool.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
1 or 2 of the Egland test mule articles mentioned wind noise was good so many the achieved success without a wind screen.

·
5,600 Posts
From the "Motor Trend" Mule Test:

"Top-down wind management also benefits from this low positioning; a six-foot driver feels minor buffeting atop the head, but can easily carry on a conversation."

From the "Automobile" magazine Mule Test:

"Wind flow around the cabin, even with the windows down, is brilliantly managed, with hardly any backdraft making it into the cabin."

Sounds promising.

·
4,592 Posts
Fortimir said:
Weren't they only allowed to drive 25mph?

Good point, I believe the answer is yes from memory.

This may sidetrack the thread, let's see.

I was thinking how high the seatbacks are in the MSM (a drivers seating height issue), then I looked at the solstice unveiling pic with Bob and another exec, and noticed the seat height of the Sol relative to the head is fairly low (of course those uys are pretty tall. In the MSM, my 6'0" head is as high as the seat, whereas in the Sol, I believe several inches if my head would be higher than the back of the seats, thus more accessible to wind. Again, I'll have to see in person, but seat back height might be a new issue for me personally.

The windscreen on the MSM is considered by most to be fairly useless, but it is pretty low. The aftermarket ones seem to be popular and considered to make a big difference.

I definately believe an aftermarket one for the Sol is easily possible. Maybe a surprise even from pontiac that's yet to be seen!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I still think the Solstice would look even more kick*** with loop-style rollbars above the head, like the Z3... those allow for a very effective wind screen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts