Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The threads about a more powerful model and things that can be done to increase performance get the creative juices flowing for sure. But in all honesty, these are things I probably will never do.

Any thoughts on what insurance will cost for a baseline motored vehicle?

Before I stumbled across the Solstice I was looking at the Miata as a fun to drive roadster that didn't cost much to insure and maintain. The articles that mentioned it said Mazda resists increasing engine size to keep insurance costs down. True?

I'm hoping the Solstice will be a low cost (not only to buy, but to maintain and to insure) roadster that I can leisurely cruise the highway in when the weather is nice.

(Yikes! The truth is out. I've become one of THOSE people -- A Sunday driver! :leaving )

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think the rates will depend more on driver risk ratings and vehicle usage than the car's horsepower. My current sports car (287HP) costs less than 1/3 the amount to insure than my teenage daughter's economy sedan (about 130HP). The sports car is on the policy as a pleasure use only vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Higher HP will = more insurance all other things being equal. I thought I remember someone saying that's what happened to Camaro & Firebird, insurance companies kept jacking up the rates due to bigger engines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That depends?

Insurance is based on risk and recovery.
A cheap car that costs a lot to repair from a mishap will cost more to insure. Horse power has no bearing on the equation other than the fact high power will be used, unwisely more often than not.
More mishaps per car/given driver = higher premiums. Younger drivers have better reflects but less experience, The Insurance Company is not in business to protect you the driver/owner. They assume risk for profit.
So if the Solstice is easy to repair from a mishap and the driver pool is careful the answer is "that depends".

·
Registered
535 Posts
pajarito69 said:
Insurance is based on risk and recovery.
A cheap car that costs a lot to repair from a mishap will cost more to insure. Horse power has no bearing on the equation other than the fact high power will be used, unwisely more often than not.
More mishaps per car/given driver = higher premiums. Younger drivers have better reflects but less experience, The Insurance Company is not in business to protect you the driver/owner. They assume risk for profit.
So if the Solstice is easy to repair from a mishap and the driver pool is careful the answer is "that depends".
Exactly. :thumbs

·
Registered
57 Posts
I Have Owned A Mr2 Spyder And A Honda Del Sol And My Friend Had A Miata....all Three Cars Were Really Cheap To Insure...for Some Reason The Little Roadsters Have A Low Symbol....my Eclipse I Am Driving Now Cost Way More To Insure

·
Registered
535 Posts
mstorace said:
I Have Owned A Mr2 Spyder And A Honda Del Sol And My Friend Had A Miata....all Three Cars Were Really Cheap To Insure...for Some Reason The Little Roadsters Have A Low Symbol....my Eclipse I Am Driving Now Cost Way More To Insure
Which has more 16-18yr old boys driving them? The Miata's or the Eclipse?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Nobody knows yet how much insurance will be, but I'm sure it will be around the same cost as a Miata or MR2. The insurance companies have to start somewhere and those are a good comparison. The other factor is the cost to repair, and the desirability to thieves. Repair costs for domestic cars are usually reasonable and the thieves might only want it as long as its a novelty. When there are lots of them on the road they'll go back to stealing Corollas. A Lojack might help reduce insurance costs as well as keeping it in a garage. The low replacment cost will also help keep costs down. If a S/C version comes out, that will run insurance costs up for that car. More horsepower, more risk. A S/C car might be more comparable with an S2000.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mstorace said:

Thanks you everyone for their inputs. I'll keep a happy thought that the Solstice will be more Miata-like than Eclipse-like when it comes to insurance.

Also, my apologies mstorace! Having a son who toasted TWO of the 4WD Eclipses just before the company switched to 2WD has probably added a bit to your insurance costs... If it is any consolation, he has since switched to a Celica.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts