Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Red Brake Calipers...

Is anyone planning to add red brake calipers so that the red shows through the wheel spokes a-la-Porsche? Yes, it's all about looks, but I gotta say I think it make a vehicle look mondo-serious.

But not being that well educated in brakes.... what the heck do I shop for to make this happen??

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Danno said:
Is anyone planning to add red brake calipers so that the red shows through the wheel spokes a-la-Porsche? Yes, it's all about looks, but I gotta say I think it make a vehicle look mondo-serious.

But not being that well educated in brakes.... what the heck do I shop for to make this happen??
They sell special high temp brake caliper paint.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You can get do-it-yourself kits, have some place do it for you, or you can buy new calipers that are already the color you want.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Danno said:

most aftermarket brake companies can direct you to a place to buy high temp paint.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AeroDave said:
Why not paint them your body color. I think that would look cooler.
I was debating that myself. I'm either going to paint them black, or I'll paint them whatever accent color I decide to go with it I put stripes on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If these brakes are like on other GM vehicles (I'm thinking these will be the same as on the Sunfire), I'm going to hope that someone makes a kit for fitting Brembo calipers and rotors. My big pet peeve with most American 'performance' cars is that they don't stop well, which IMHO is more important than acceleration.

·
Registered
275 Posts
legion said:
If these brakes are like on other GM vehicles (I'm thinking these will be the same as on the Sunfire), I'm going to hope that someone makes a kit for fitting Brembo calipers and rotors. My big pet peeve with most American 'performance' cars is that they don't stop well, which IMHO is more important than acceleration.
give it a year, youll find plenty of brake kits. brembo or powerslot... those are the two im looking at.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Danno said:

Here is a great site that shows you what to do. I did this with my Alero (hence the link the N-body.net) and it worked just fine.

http://www.n-body.net/tech/techdisplay.php?id=5','750','500'

As far as type of paint.. you can pick up "high temp" brake or engine paint at most anywhere that has car touch up paint from Duplicolor or something like that. In Michigan I'd go to Meijer, but since they aren't national and I hate that other store who is bigger than even GM, I don't know who would be local to you. Any auto parts store (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc.) would be a good place to look as well.

This is SUPER easy to do yourself. Jack the car up to get the tire off, and loosen up the caliper. You can usually hang the caliper in the wheel well and tape off or put cardboard up around the caliper when you paint it.

Personally I painted my calipers black on my Alero, as I wanted them to fade away when I had my summer wheels on. I also painted the rotor "hat" with POR-15 black so that you never saw the ugly orange rust on them. I will most likely pull the wheels off and do this exact same thing within a short time of having the Solstice so that it never shows that ugly rust on it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
AeroDave said:
Why not paint them your body color. I think that would look cooler.
I already decided to get my wheels powder coated to match my solstice(deep) painting the calipers the same or a matching color might enhance the overall effect :cool:

·
Registered
133 Posts
legion said:
If these brakes are like on other GM vehicles......My big pet peeve with most American 'performance' cars is that they don't stop well, which IMHO is more important than acceleration.
But has little to do with the brake components. Its the tires that stop the car.

·
5,600 Posts
legion said:
I want a premium brake upgrade. I want reliable, predictable, smoooth stopping with no fade. Looks be damned.

·
Registered
54 Posts
brentil said:
You can get do-it-yourself kits, have some place do it for you, or you can buy new calipers that are already the color you want.
Where would I go to purchase calipers ready to go?
I talked to some friends who have a powdercoating line but I need to find out what maximum temperatures do the calipers reach when applied?
I have heard that some of the do-it-yourself kits discolor when heated.

·
Registered
268 Posts
on all alero/grand am they have a problem with warping the rotors. i am upgradeing to power sloted rotors and some better pads. i would get the bigger brake kit

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
slowandlow said:
on all alero/grand am they have a problem with warping the rotors. i am upgradeing to power sloted rotors and some better pads. i would get the bigger brake kit
N-bodies have this problem because as the car became heavier GM never upgraded the rotors. I went through 4 sets of warped rotors before my 50,000 mile warranty. I slapped on a set of Brembo's from Tire Rack and started autocrossing with them on and never had a problem again.

Some cars need more/better brakes (Alero / Grand Am was one of them), maybe the Solstice won't... we don't know yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I kinda like the looks of red brake calipers on many of the sport cars I see today. I think if Pontiac doesn't offer them, I'm going to freak out my wife and grab me a can of red spray bomb and paint my calipers.

B

·
0 Posts
The red would look good against the Sly color that I ordered, but I would probably have something closer to a Dark Red.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Caliper paint

I own a tampa blue 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and painted my calipers red. The thing about red is it will always match the taillights if nothing else. I used G2's kit, but I hear that Folia Tec is the best brand out there, about $10 more on average. I spent $40 on the G2 kit, and I remember the Folia Tec kit was $50 wherever I could find it (only online, I live in AK and there is nothing up here for anything worthy of dreams). The kits come as a 3 piece kit: Lacquer, color, and cleaner. The cleaner is just alcohol in a spray can to clean the calipers. The lacquer and color get mixed when you're ready to paint the clean calipers. Gotta do it within 2 hours or the lacquer will be too hard to apply. You can apply a second coat within an hour. I stacked my car onto jack stands and did it. It takes 48 hours to cure; I walked to work for a 40 minute round trip during those days. However, it was well well worth it; it's so frikkin shiny. It's like it's perma-waxed. I've had it on since 2002 and it's still lookin as good as the day I put it on! Needless to say, I'm gettin me some more of that for the Solstice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
MeesterCheeser said:
I own a tampa blue 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and painted my calipers red. The thing about red is it will always match the taillights if nothing else. I used G2's kit, but I hear that Folia Tec is the best brand out there, about $10 more on average. I spent $40 on the G2 kit, and I remember the Folia Tec kit was $50 wherever I could find it (only online, I live in AK and there is nothing up here for anything worthy of dreams). The kits come as a 3 piece kit: Lacquer, color, and cleaner. The cleaner is just alcohol in a spray can to clean the calipers. The lacquer and color get mixed when you're ready to paint the clean calipers. Gotta do it within 2 hours or the lacquer will be too hard to apply. You can apply a second coat within an hour. I stacked my car onto jack stands and did it. It takes 48 hours to cure; I walked to work for a 40 minute round trip during those days. However, it was well well worth it; it's so frikkin shiny. It's like it's perma-waxed. I've had it on since 2002 and it's still lookin as good as the day I put it on! Needless to say, I'm gettin me some more of that for the Solstice.
ill second that. the G2 kit is awsome! i havent used it on any of my cars, but i helped a friend do it on his. it looks awsome and it lasts

·
Registered
515 Posts
MeesterCheeser said:
I've had it on since 2002 and it's still lookin as good as the day I put it on! Needless to say, I'm gettin me some more of that for the Solstice.
Ok, you've got me interested. Now how about some pics?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts