Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I don't plan on towing an Airstream BUT......

The car has no trunk, and I plan on using the car for weekend trips with She Who Must Be Obeyed. While she is loving and deals with my automotive pecularities when I tell her that she can pack for a weekend in California in half of a gym bag she will whine louder than a Geo Metro on I-15! It's quite obvious that some other accomodation will need to be made.

While cars in the class such as the Miata are not rated from the factory for towing of ANY type the aftermarket community has made hidden hitches for them.

Most cars in this class have some aftermarket provisions to tow a small trailer, like under 500 pounds total. A trailer like the 3 1/2' X 4' flatbed that is sold by places like Harbor Freight would do the trick, but I think we need to answer these questions:

1. Will the Solstice be produced with a tow rating?
2. If so what will it be, 1000 LBS with a 100 LB tounge rating?
3. If there isn't a towing package how long will it take before the aftermarket community makes one?
4. Would use of such a hitch void the warranty?

Sorry but I need to be somewhat practical with this car, I mean my scooter has more than 2 Cubic feet, we need some way to keep the women happy!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't have any insight to towing capacity but I would be very surprised if it could tow anything much...

Travelling with the solsitce...

Just use soft luggage?

·
Registered
172 Posts
if you go to one of GM's carline sights you will see that most of their cars do not have a tow rating. but if you go to autox events you will see people towing small tire trailers all the time. i guess where there is a will there is a way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thats why i have my wife drive the xB to the auto X events...with the extra tires and tool for my seven

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If the Solstice gets a tow rating, and I would not count on it, its going to be on the very light side. The car’s wheelbase at 95 inches is rather short for a higher tow rating, even if the drive train could handle it. Towing a small utility trailer would probably be possible, but not much more.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I really doubt the Solstice will have a factory towing capacity, but if you really want a hitch to tow a trailer it can be done. If you can't do the work yourself, someone out there will help you. Somebody always sticks a trailer on every car, and that person will no doubt be happy to share. How much weight you pull will be entirely up to you. I don't think I would go over 1000 lbs. Keep in mind that the dealer will try to use your hitch to void your warrantee with any kind of drivetrain, brakes, tires, or cooling claims that might come up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You've got bigger problems than figuring out whether a Solstice is capable of towing. Dump that bitch and get a divorce.

·
Registered
667 Posts
SNYPER said:
You've got bigger problems than figuring out whether a Solstice is capable of towing. Dump that bitch and get a divorce.
Bro; You try way too hard to live up to your handle. Just chill, this place is all about cars... Not your inane sense of humor!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Personally I'm hoping for at least a 500 lbs towing capacity. I want to be able to attach a sport trailer if I want. Those small ones that are designed to hold 4 tires and a a little bit more.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Friends have MGB and they have gotten bike trails to tow on long trips.
Trail would folded to a small inclosed bed.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
1. Will the Solstice be produced with a tow rating?
2. If so what will it be, 1000 LBS with a 100 LB tounge rating?
3. If there isn't a towing package how long will it take before the aftermarket community makes one?
4. Would use of such a hitch void the warranty?
1. Doubt it but it might. Manufactures have traditionally been hesitent about putting a tow rating on front wheel drive cars. Not being the case here, it has a better chance than many cars of it's size.
2. The lightest I've seen was 800 pounds. If it does have a rating, it will be very light. Remember, that's also based on the ability to carrying 10% (80 to 100 pounds) six inches aft of the back bumper.
3. Shouldn't be long of a wait, if any. Most larger U-Haul centers have a "Universal Fit" trailer hitch on their shelves now.
4. Unless it has a factory tow rating, Probably. But as it bolts on, you might try unbolting it every time you take it to a dealer. Most of my warranty work is done by a non-GM mechanic I've developed a working relation with. He knows it's in his best interest not to jump at the first chance to void my warranty. Not the case with a dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
airbalancer said:
Friends have MGB and they have gotten bike trails to tow on long trips.
Trail would folded to a small inclosed bed.
Hmm, I never thought of towing my MGB with my bike, but if two bikes together...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes it will tow

Pajarito tows my camping and fishing trailer fine. Yes I had to build a hitch from scratch. It is not the towing it is the stopping that will scare the heck out of you. Pajarito has old drum brakes and no power assist. No power steering and very little power under the hood (bonnet). Oh and there is no trunk space (boot). Is it fun to get out at some fishing hole and pull out the fishing gear? Is it fun to set up camp and answer all the questions, You bet it is.

This is a car and they are to be enjoyed for what ther are. Half the fun is sharing a smile as you are passed traveling down to road.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts