Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I got a p0014 code - exhaust cam actuator solenoid - my dealer said this is a seven hundred dollar repair however since I was still under warranty it would be free. A year later it has happened again. I did some investigating and ddm works has an Oem one for fifty bucks. They say one bolt, one connector a little oil and ten minutes later you are done. Am I being hosed by the dealer? Or am I missing something here. Not being very wrench smart, I'd appreciate input. Btw, 08 2.4 base model.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yup. Takes 5 minutes to swap unless you have an aftermarket coil cover.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I also replaced mine; 50 bucks and took 2 min.

This pisses me off to hear that they wanted to charge you 700 to get this done. F***king a$$holes.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Find a new dealer. A quick and easy fix. Actually, just do it yourself.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I'd also consider reporting the dealership to gm customer service. Goes to my belief that it's isn't GM cars killing themselves as much as it's dishonest dealerships. It's also why some believe NADA system should be abolished, and allow manufactures direct sales/service to the public.

Having said that, there are some honest dealerships, just have to find them, also there's recommend dealership thread here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Or maybe the guy just exaggerated the price to impress you with how much you were saving under warranty. If he knew it was going to be covered, he could have told you it was a million dollar repair but "don't worry, we'll take care of it." Did you get an out of warranty quote this time around?

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Warranty work = GM will end up covering the cost as the dealer submits a claim to them. I have a few friends who work at dealerships and this is a common practice that's how they make money.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I know a few dealers also and about 15 years ago they started getting squeezed big time by the OEM's and their margins were dropping on vehicles they sell. Hence a warranty claim is a chance to get some money back. (Though the makers still set the standard labor hours, etc. that they can be billed.)

Had a friend that needed to replace a knob on his HVAC controls and was told he'd need to bring it in for "diagnosis". He said "It's a friggin' knob." So after his scheduled "service" they ordered the thing. He came in to pick it up and asked the parts counter "Do I need to schedule an appointment to have this installed?" Guy replied (with a puzzled look on his face) "It's a friggin' knob!"

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
But I agree with the 700 bucks being a "look what we're doing for free" gesture. If he quoted you that on the non-warranty, then yes, look for another dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They said 85 to diagnose the code. Autozone as done it twice for me for free! My brother in law is charging me a 6 pack of corona to show me what to do. I think a fair price. Thanks once again to this forum for the comments!

·
Registered
433 Posts
ChopTop

I am sorry that you had a bad experience at the dealership. You can submit a dealership complaint on this forum if you would like. Please inbox me if you are interested in doing this.

Jackie
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
433 Posts
radiowebguy

I am sorry that you had a bad experience at the dealership. You can submit a dealership complaint on this forum if you would like. Please inbox me if you are interested in doing this.

Jackie
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
746 Posts
Perhaps they previously replaced the camshaft actuator and now it required the solenoid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts