Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What attracted you to the Sosltice and this forum?

• Sweet Looks

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Low Cost

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • An Alternative to Mazda and Toyota

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Potential for a kick ass race car

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Just a Pontiac nut

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What attracted you to the Solstice, and ulimately, this forum? You can choose more than one! For me it was definately the looks. It was also as an alternative to the Miata that I was considering. I haven't been this excited about a NEW car in decades. IMHO it has been pretty dry for interesting or cool cars with solid design in this country since 1972. There are exceptions of course, but I'm really thrilled they are making cars again. I mean really making cars. :cheers

·
Registered
533 Posts
The styling was the main draw for me. I think that sports car design reached its peak in the 60's and went down hill from there. Examples of great designs of the 60's include the Lamborghini Miura, the Ferrari 275 GTB, the Ferrari 250 GTO, the Maserati Ghibli, the AC/Shelby Cobra and the Jaguar E-Type. In my opinion, the Solstice is the best body design to come out since those cars faded away.

If the Solstice has decent handling and reasonable performance, it may replace my 350Z.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What drew me to the car first and foremost is the looks, then the price. Everyone would want a corvette, z4, elise, etc. they are all attractive sports cars, but who can afford their price? (I know that alot of people can, but there are even more that cannot) Being a 22 yr. old guy who will be about 120,000 in debt after I finish school I cannot afford a 50+ thousand car, but I can afford an additional 20k in debt. It is easy to build an expensive high performance car that people lust after, it takes effort to build a car that everyone wants and can also afford. To me the solstice is the most interesting new car to be developed in my lifetime, it blends the right combination of performance (I Hope), looks, and price.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like what it has under the skin, I don't much care for the Solstice's styling. If they ever build the VX I will love the whole package.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Looks & Price for me. Solstice is the right place and right time for me. I'm getting sick of driving SUV all the time and wanted something fun to drive as a 2nd car (still need an SUV for winters and to haul stuff around). Because it would be a 2nd car it needed to be less-expensive. I found Solstice while looking at Cooper Mini somehow (don't remember how that happened).

Also proud that a US company is getting into this area that's largely owned by the imports. :patriot

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Nearly all of the above! :lol

I have been hoping for another affordable sports car from GM since they dumped the Fiero after 88. So the Solstice got me excited that GM was getting back in the game. Then I saw the production concept in Detroit this year, and was blown away. The styling simply is great! I always liked the Miata's smooth lines and stance to the MR2's somewhat sharp edged and busy lines, and the Solstice blows away the Miata in this department. The looks are fabulous. The only deal breaker after this would be the lack of a decent powertrain, a poor chasis, or bad execution. I'll have to wait for the final product to see how the execution is in the end, but the powertrain has enough power to suit my needs (although I may hold out for more, if its definate by next year that it is on the horizon within a short time frame) and the chasis looks to be outstanding! :thumbs

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I guess I'd have to say looks. price and promised performance. But I'd add size and type. Although I'm not a die hard "buy only American" type, :patriot there's just no other domestic two seated roadster available for less than $45,000. And there's just a couple of foreign cars to compete (Miata and MR2) and I can't fit in them. Yeah, there's a lot of interesting cars in the low $30,000 price range (350Z, Crossfire, Z4, and others) but they're not roadsters and, to tell the truth, I'm just too cheap. Also, my daughter works for GM and I've been waiting for years to take advantage of her discount. Might take some of the sting off all the money I've "loaned" her! :jester

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Also, my daughter works for GM and I've been waiting for years to take advantage of her discount. Might take some of the sting off all the money I've "loaned" her! :jester
This looks like as good of a reason as any to be interested in a GM roadster! :thumbs I hope you can be patient after its introduced too. IO doubt GM will have a GMS price on it right away, and even if they do, it may be hard to find a dealer willing to sell at GMS. If you can find it, awesome! :cool

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far the poll is confirming what I suspected, sell a great looking car at a reasonable price, and people will get excited and want to buy it! Simple formula, yet car companies seem to lose sight of it. There are examples of great looking cars that are priced too high and no one buys them, but I can't think of any examples of low cost cars that look great and no one buys them.

When surveyed, people often respond by saying that reliability, saftey and resale value are the most important factors for thier purchasing decision. Car companies have taken that to heart, and for the most part, have created reliable, safe, boring cars. Lets face it though, it's looks that get people to the showroom, it's looks that make people fall in love with a car and it's looks that make people feel good when they drive it.

Detroit used to know this. The styling studio used to be king, and commanded a great portion of the development budget. Now they seem to have engineers working on new places to put pillows in the cockpit to keep Ralph Nader happy, and new ways to save 50 cents and still have the car last the warrantee period! They have ignored cars so much that people have switched to trucks because at least they have some utility for thier money. This trend has become so bad that some Wall Street analysts have suggested that Detroit stop making cars all together and focus on trucks!

Anyhow, I full support a "revolution", renaissance, re-birth or what ever you want to call it, in American car building. I hope that Solstice is only the tip of the iceburg. :cheers Those that haven't participated in the various polls around this forum yet, get involved! Let GM know how you feel about this car, and give them an idea about how they're doing. If you don't like the polls that are here, make your own, it's easy. :patriot

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The low price, great looks and reasonable performance is really a home-run combination for Solstice. If you look at all the competition, no one has all 3.

Miata - low price but styling is kind of bland, performance is OK.
MR2 - still reasonable price, low power and don't like styling.
S2000 - great performance, mid-level pricing but looks too much like a Miata for me (I have trouble telling them apart from a distance).
Z4 - high-cost, good performance and styling is OK but not great (I like the Z3 better)
TT - high cost, good performance, hate the styling (looks like a flat VW bug)
Crossfire - high cost, great performance, styling is different but growing on me.

All the above is IMO of course :smile

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Simple, I love convertibles, don't want to pay the insurance on a v8 mustang, don't want to drive a v6 mustang, can't fit my putty butt in a miata, and have already made the mistake of buying a sebring.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I voted for low price as well. IF they offer a higher powered version that is. I'm completely willing to fork over another $5k for a nicely tuned SC version, maybe some weight reduction options, sportier exterior look, etc.

The car I really want is a Lotus Elise, but with a base price of $39k + $1200 for CO (Chrome Orange) + $1350 for the Touring Pack it's just too far out of my price range.

I like the MR2, but the lack of power is a complete turn off. How can Toyota offer a Supercharger for the Matrix and Camry that use the exact same engine, but not offer it for their sports car that uses it (rhetorical, not expecting an answer)? :confused It's just an atrocity.

I've been looking at the 2005 Mustang GT due to it's massive power output on normal 87 octane, but I don't know if I can force myself to own something so fat.

Another car I've been fairly interested in is the Lancer Evolution VIII, but 18 MPG City on 91+ octane gets damn expensive damn fast.

The Solstice looks good, I love roadsters, and if the powers there will make me happy. Oh, and if it comes in CO too :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
So far the poll is confirming what I suspected, sell a great looking car at a reasonable price, and people will get excited and want to buy it! Simple formula, yet car companies seem to lose sight of it. There are examples of great looking cars that are priced too high and no one buys them, but I can't think of any examples of low cost cars that look great and no one buys them.

When surveyed, people often respond by saying that reliability, saftey and resale value are the most important factors for thier purchasing decision. Car companies have taken that to heart, and for the most part, have created reliable, safe, boring cars. Lets face it though, it's looks that get people to the showroom, it's looks that make people fall in love with a car and it's looks that make people feel good when they drive it.

Detroit used to know this. The styling studio used to be king, and commanded a great portion of the development budget. Now they seem to have engineers working on new places to put pillows in the cockpit to keep Ralph Nader happy, and new ways to save 50 cents and still have the car last the warrantee period! They have ignored cars so much that people have switched to trucks because at least they have some utility for thier money. This trend has become so bad that some Wall Street analysts have suggested that Detroit stop making cars all together and focus on trucks!

Anyhow, I full support a "revolution", renaissance, re-birth or what ever you want to call it, in American car building. I hope that Solstice is only the tip of the iceburg. :cheers Those that haven't participated in the various polls around this forum yet, get involved! Let GM know how you feel about this car, and give them an idea about how they're doing. If you don't like the polls that are here, make your own, it's easy. :patriot
Detroit does seem to be getting back to making cars with great styling, even if many of them are niche vehicles. The new Chrysler 300C seems to be the most mass-market car so far to really get on board with emotional styling that gets peoples attention (and money). Check out this article (new today) on how the 300C is getting a good number of conquest sales for DCX, including many upscale foreign brands:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0407/08/a01-206692.htm

The new Caddy STS also looks promising, and actually wears the Art and Science design theme rather well. Maybe its just the larger size, or a more refined version of the styling theme, but to me it looks 100 times better than a CTS.

Hopefully the Solstice continues and builds on this trend! It certainly has the looks to make a splash!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fformula88 said:
Detroit does seem to be getting back to making cars with great styling, even if many of them are niche vehicles. The new Chrysler 300C seems to be the most mass-market car so far to really get on board with emotional styling that gets peoples attention (and money). Check out this article (new today) on how the 300C is getting a good number of conquest sales for DCX, including many upscale foreign brands:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0407/08/a01-206692.htm

The new Caddy STS also looks promising, and actually wears the Art and Science design theme rather well. Maybe its just the larger size, or a more refined version of the styling theme, but to me it looks 100 times better than a CTS.

Hopefully the Solstice continues and builds on this trend! It certainly has the looks to make a splash!
I love the 300! I'm trying to get my dad to buy one. He's been a Cadillac buyer all his life, but he and I don't go too much for the new "art and science" look. We both agree, they look like angry kitchen appliances. Anyhow it's so cool that detroit is taking a chance on styling and people are responding.

My only critisism of the 300 is; what happened at the back? It's another example of a design studio blowing their wad on the front of the car and then getting to the back and saying, "what ever, nobody will look back there". That car totaly deserves a rear end that matches the intensity and snappy taste of the front and profile. I think someone could make a pretty good business out of finishing factory designs for customers, so many like the 300 are left partialy undone.

Thankfully, the Solstice does not suffer this way!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
I love the 300! I'm trying to get my dad to buy one. He's been a Cadillac buyer all his life, but he and I don't go too much for the new "art and science" look. We both agree, they look like angry kitchen appliances. Anyhow it's so cool that detroit is taking a chance on styling and people are responding.

My only critisism of the 300 is; what happened at the back? It's another example of a design studio blowing their wad on the front of the car and then getting to the back and saying, "what ever, nobody will look back there". That car totaly deserves a rear end that matches the intensity and snappy taste of the front and profile. I think someone could make a pretty good business out of finishing factory designs for customers, so many like the 300 are left partialy undone.

Thankfully, the Solstice does not suffer this way!
A 300 would be an excellent choice for him! Have him take one out and see how he likes it. People are falling over themselves to get it, so it must have some moves to back up those looks!

It is funny how often one end of a car design doesn't match the other. I agree the 300's hind end is a little too average compared with the look at me and be scared front end! Especially since a lot of people will see the back end of the 300C. Maybe they will give it a freshening back there after a couple years to spiff it up more. At least its not offensive back there like some other cars (BMW 7 series comes to mind, way too busy!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts