Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my little sol. 2006 completely stock. I love this car I just wish it had a little more pep. I don’t expect a crazy power difference but I would like to know what would be better, going in on some expensive spark plugs, cold air intake and some new filters. Or, try my luck with either a trifecta, stage 3, or Vortex stage 3 chip( all plug and play).
what do we all think? 64FD447C-3FD8-40E9-9420-D6DCC5B7FF1D.jpeg 39A80002-525E-4735-BB5F-2F1EF3712B25.jpeg

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,748 Posts
Turbo. and that' about the cheapest and easiest thing you can do to get more HP out of the car. You can do things like the exhaust and changing the cat to a high flow cat. and then doing a tune but you will not have any significant gains. Changing the exhaust or cat without getting a tune done will not give you any additional power A tune must be done. It boils down to this.

exhaust = 800.00
high flow cat (CARB compliant) = 900.00
Tune = 350.00

total = 2050.00

HP gain = 15HP (maybe)

RPM Turbo Kit = 3300.00
HP gain = 200+

see what I am getting at??

That is going to be the best bang for your buck.

There is some sunshine here. You have a 2006 so your engine has forged internal components. It should be able to make 450HP without needing to build the engine. This can be done by adding the right turbo.

The round about number that is used to guesstimate what the HP output would be if adding a turbo is 7% of the stock hp per psi of boost.
The RPM kit uses the K04 turbo that is used on the GXP. that turbo is good to about 21 psi of boost or so on the 2.0. because the turbo is not able to move the volume of air needed for the 2.4 lets tone that down some. so lets say 18psi.

177 * 0.07 = 12.39
12.39 * 18 = 223
223 + 177 = 400bhp

hp gain = 223

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
cold air intake only makes more noise and doesn't add anything
only use the OE spark plugs, people have had issues with other brands and there is nothing worth a pit to be gained from having different plugs.
use a no oil air cleaner if changing the air filter. The MAF sensor doesn't play well with the oil that comes off the air cleaners that use oil.

doing any tune without having a turbo or building the engine so it's higher compression is not going to give you much in the way of additional power or torque even if you do a CAI, high flow cat and exhaust.
It will improve the throttle response. Meaning the car is going to react to where the accelerator position is faster.

Reactions: Jerms!112

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turbo. and that' about the cheapest and easiest thing you can do to get more HP out of the car. You can do things like the exhaust and changing the cat to a high flow cat. and then doing a tune but you will not have any significant gains. Changing the exhaust or cat without getting a tune done will not give you any additional power A tune must be done. It boils down to this.

exhaust = 800.00
high flow cat (CARB compliant) = 900.00
Tune = 350.00

total = 2050.00

HP gain = 15HP (maybe)

RPM Turbo Kit = 3300.00
HP gain = 200+

see what I am getting at??

That is going to be the best bang for your buck.

There is some sunshine here. You have a 2006 so your engine has forged internal components. It should be able to make 450HP without needing to build the engine. This can be done by adding the right turbo.

The round about number that is used to guesstimate what the HP output would be if adding a turbo is 7% of the stock hp per psi of boost.
The RPM kit uses the K04 turbo that is used on the GXP. that turbo is good to about 21 psi of boost or so on the 2.0. because the turbo is not able to move the volume of air needed for the 2.4 lets tone that down some. so lets say 18psi.

177 * 0.07 = 12.39
12.39 * 18 = 223
223 + 177 = 400bhp

hp gain = 223
Oh man Thank you! I just got told by a mechanic that the engine in my 06 is not built up enough to even handle a turbo.
so it looks like I’m gunna be speaking to a couple other mechanics.
meh took pleasure in ruining my dream. Lmaoo

·
Registered
176 Posts
Or you can just learn to live with it. Why do you want more power? I've owned many cars and these cars have 'enough' power. Traditionally non-turbo engines last longer as they are not getting overly heated. And all that money and unforeseen issues that might come up when you make the change. I see a lot of unforeseen issues when changes get made and the car's sensor systems react to them. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or you can just learn to live with it. Why do you want more power? I've owned many cars and these cars have 'enough' power. Traditionally non-turbo engines last longer as they are not getting overly heated. And all that money and unforeseen issues that might come up when you make the change. I see a lot of unforeseen issues when changes get made and the car's sensor systems react to them. Just my opinion.
Honestly I just want a tiny bit more horsepower through 2&3 it just feels like there’s so much more to give..

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
It was stated in a different thread, I will repeat it here for sake of completeness.
the early Solstices have a really tall 3rd gear and if you are in 3rd and floor it, it's not going to get up and go. That problem will disappear with forced induction.

The 2006's have great internals, they are forged and can handle a hell of a lot of boost. On my 2.0 I am boosting to around 38PSI The 2006 base models can run 20PSI of boost without issue. One of the cool things when you do a turbo setup on a 2.4 if the boost pressure is not going to be controlled by the ECM on the car. You will have a boost controller so you will have the ability to turn it up or down. It can be downright scary for someone when they drive a car that has 177HP and then a week later it's 420HP. You won't know how to control the car. So with the boost controller you will have the ability to turn it down until you are comfortable with where it's at and then you can turn it up some.

With the base model it's a matter of cost per hp. and you are basically throwing money out the window if you do exhaust and high flow and looking to get performance gains. I did change out my catalyst for a high flow, I am running the stock exhaust. I have no drone at cruising speeds and when I get on it the wastegate starts to open up around 4000 RPM and my wastegate dumps to atmosphere. It's like running an open pipe. It gets really loud really fast. Might also be shooting flames out from under the car because of how close the end of the pipe is to the turbo and exhaust manifold. Intimidation factor :p

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
06 and 07 Solstices had forged internal parts abel to handle up to 450 HP so unless you have a ton of miles or a worn out engine you should not have a problem upgrading it .The best bang for your buck is a Hahn Racecraft kit I speak from personal experience .

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
The best bang for your buck is a Hahn Racecraft kit I speak from personal experience .

problem is getting a hold of them to order it. Last summer I called them 3 times and left a message on an answering machine and no call back. I also sent 3 e-mails and got no reply.

·
Registered
537 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Cars have a rev limiter so you're not going to blow it. The N/A develops peak power at around 3,900 / 4,000 rpm, so you're getting off of it just when it really starts to pull.

As KS said above, 1 and 2 are quite short while 3rd is very tall. My wife still giggles when she shifts to 3rd around 35 MPH and stands on it. As soon as she feels it pushing her back in the seat as she's passing 4k rpm she can't help but smile. I tried to teach her to shift via the tach and she complained "But I'm already over 70 in 3rd gear!"

Let her 'run and you'll probably be a bit more impressed!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cars have a rev limiter so you're not going to blow it. The N/A develops peak power at around 3,900 / 4,000 rpm, so you're getting off of it just when it really starts to pull.

As KS said above, 1 and 2 are quite short while 3rd is very tall. My wife still giggles when she shifts to 3rd around 35 MPH and stands on it. As soon as she feels it pushing her back in the seat as she's passing 4k rpm she can't help but smile. I tried to teach her to shift via the tach and she complained "But I'm already over 70 in 3rd gear!"

Let her 'run and you'll probably be a bit more impressed!
For sure. Note that I’ve gotten comfortable with a car that’sas close to bare bones, stick as it can be and getting used to throwing it around, I want to refine how I’m actually driving it, and seeing what I can do to push my own boundaries while driving it.
it’s a fun freaking car and I love it so much, but always have wondered if I’m doing something wrong.
thank you!!
I’ll shift a little later and see if that gives me that little bit of push.
the car itself is quick, I like it, it’s stock and I raced my friends mustang and the only time it had me was at the very top. I had him through third into fourth.
I’m assuming that I could have gapped him if I had kept on it.
but if you have any other tips please teach me!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve had allot of conflicting commentary about trying to give it some more horse power via a chip (plug and play) and one of the other people is telling me that this engine can push 400 something horsepower, which I don’t want, not in this car Lmaoo. Maybe like 275 would be quick enough for me, with the weight of the car bring what it is I think the tires would die quick.
but am interested if the way I’m actually driving it is forcing me to see less horsepower.

·
Administrator
8,642 Posts
I’ve had allot of conflicting commentary about trying to give it some more horse power via a chip (plug and play) and one of the other people is telling me that this engine can push 400 something horsepower, which I don’t want, not in this car Lmaoo. Maybe like 275 would be quick enough for me, with the weight of the car bring what it is I think the tires would die quick.
but am interested if the way I’m actually driving it is forcing me to see less horsepower.
The chips are worthless.

Reactions: HHGadget

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
667 Posts
Chip = Do. Not. Waste. Your. Money.
Trifecta tune "might" give you that tiny bit extra you are looking for.

As has been posted before,you will enjoy the extra power you gain from a small improvement, get used to it and then... it's that "I just need a little" more that can get your wallet in trouble. I speak from experience :)

You may want to contact DDM (one of our sponsors) an early and often supporter of the Sky / Sol platform. I know they are busy but if you can get them on the phone, having "been there, done that" many, many times they may be able to offer some advice on "improving" your ride in a way that suits your needs and budget.
Worth a call at least.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts