Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering about this feature for a while, and just heard it mentioned(as an ugly green display) in another thread...what kind of information does it provide? GPS, maps etc? or things like current mpg, fuel ratio etc.? anyone have a link? and also, where the hell are they putting it?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I thought it was just Mpg, trip mileage and how much gas is left (in miles).

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's just a fairly small thin horizontal display. You can see it in some of the pictures between the stereo and dash I believe.

According to the manual there will be a ton of information about different systems in the car. Nothing like GPS or nav, but fuel info, oil life, coolant temp, stuff like that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice, but kind of dissapointing, Id REALLY like to see a nice navi computer integrated into the sol. dont really like the little "sit on the dash" hand-held ones

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
How many times must we go over this?

People are always complaining, "oh I wish it had this, I wish it had that."

$19,995 MSRP! They can't have GPS and in-dash DVD players and power top and 250hp and all the goodies that everyone wishes it had and STILL keep it at their affordable price. Sure they could have offered it as an option, but what car have you seen can cost 20k base with enough upgrades to have a fully loaded model cost 40k?

With that being said, since this car isn't even out yet and it already seems to be doing so well, perhaps for 2007 they may have some of those things as options. Hopefully, cause it would be really cool to have GPS as well. But for now they aren't going to go all out on such a new car, just in case the idea tanked on them.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
dori-san said:

$19,995 MSRP! They can't have GPS and in-dash DVD players and power top and 250hp and all the goodies that everyone wishes it had and STILL keep it at their affordable price. Sure they could have offered it as an option, but what car have you seen can cost 20k base with enough upgrades to have a fully loaded model cost 40k?

With that being said, since this car isn't even out yet and it already seems to be doing so well, perhaps for 2007 they may have some of those things as options. Hopefully, cause it would be really cool to have GPS as well. But for now they aren't going to go all out on such a new car, just in case the idea tanked on them.
I think you just had a Brentil moment ~~~> :brentil:

:lol:

Thats ok! It is a continuing trend, where people want to option the car with their favorite items that are not available.

I guess with the goal of keeping the car as inexpensive as possible, $19.9K-$25K, GM had to really pick and chose the options they offered. So they went with things like basic creature comforts, AC, leather, power windows, cruise, etc, upgrade wheels, radios, and of course LSD and ABS.

A Nav would be nice, but lets not forget that the Sol will not be the only car not to have it. The GTO doesn't have Nav at $33K, and the Corvette doesn't have Nav at $45K (although it is available as an extra cost option on the Corvette).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gadgets

DLD84 said:
nice, but kind of dissapointing, Id REALLY like to see a nice navi computer integrated into the sol. dont really like the little "sit on the dash" hand-held ones
More than likely, you will need to wait for a Sky if you want the gadgets ;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I think you just had a Brentil moment ~~~> :brentil:

:lol:

Thats ok! It is a continuing trend, where people want to option the car with their favorite items that are not available.

I guess with the goal of keeping the car as inexpensive as possible, $19.9K-$25K, GM had to really pick and chose the options they offered. So they went with things like basic creature comforts, AC, leather, power windows, cruise, etc, upgrade wheels, radios, and of course LSD and ABS.

A Nav would be nice, but lets not forget that the Sol will not be the only car not to have it. The GTO doesn't have Nav at $33K, and the Corvette doesn't have Nav at $45K (although it is available as an extra cost option on the Corvette).
For me, there was plenty of options. Going from a Sunfire where nothing, but the sunroof is powered it's going to be heaven for me. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
dori-san said:

I like your passion. :)

There's no reason they couldn't keep the $20k base price & offer options that bring it up to $28-30k, loaded. In fact, I bet that'll happen next year with the FI engine, removable hardtop, Mr Fusion, etc.

Look at the Corvette. The C6 starts at, what, high-40s? The Z06 is going to be $70-80K, right? That's a pretty big spread. (I wonder if there are other GM models with large differences between base & loaded MSRPs.)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
There's no reason they couldn't keep the $20k base price & offer options that bring it up to $28-30k, loaded. In fact, I bet that'll happen next year with the FI engine, removable hardtop, Mr Fusion, etc.
In fact, it has happened. The Saturn Sky will be priced higher and have more content! :)

Gm essentially needed to draw a line, and say "that is it." The problem with allowing more options that creeps the price up to near $30K is that it moves the car farther away from being a good bargain, making it harder to sell.

Heck, we have some people here who think the Solstice doesn't have enough power at 177. What if it cost $28-$30? People expect well over 200 HP at that price range. However, to get the Sol to that power level, it would necesitate a raise in price. Then, adding all those options back on raises the price into the $30k's. Then you end up facing the S2000's, Z4's, Crossfires head to head. They have nicer interiors, more luggage space, more gears, 6 cylinder engines, etc. So you take the Sol and upgrade to meet that competition and the price inches higher. You could do it, but you change the whole market position and target audience of the car.

GM decided the biggest selling point of the Solstice will be its affordable price. By it's vary nature, that necessitates a short options list. They decided not to compete head to head with more expensive roadsters that offer laundry lists of gadgets.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess I pushed dori-sans self destruct eh? Well to clarify a bit, its not so much as me bitching for one option or another, I simply wanted to know exactly what the DIC did, and when I found out it wasnt navigation or anything, I said it would be nice if they included it as an option. After all, theyve done it on many cars that are comparitively priced, my friends mazda6 for example, and right now they start for just under 20k, just like the solstice! Cant a brotha have a realistic dream? :lol:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
DLD84 said:
Guess I pushed dori-sans self destruct eh? Well to clarify a bit, its not so much as me bitching for one option or another, I simply wanted to know exactly what the DIC did, and when I found out it wasnt navigation or anything, I said it would be nice if they included it as an option. After all, theyve done it on many cars that are comparitively priced, my friends mazda6 for example, and right now they start for just under 20k, just like the solstice! Cant a brotha have a realistic dream? :lol:

Sure, dream away. :lol: I have just a very basic driver info center in my GMC, things like door agar, change oil, buckle passenger, comb your hair, etc. :lol: So having something like MPG will be a step up for me!

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I've had a driver information center in every car I've owned for about 20 yrs now.... It even comes complete with advice when I'm lost... A female voice that says "why don't you just stop and ask directions".

Among other suggestions/commands...

"Don't follow so close"
"Do you have to go this fast?"
"We need to stop and eat"

I'm telling you.. this is by far the best information center I've ever had... even if I'm not always pleased with it's telling me.

·
Registered
905 Posts
package said:
I've had a driver information center in every car I've owned for about 20 yrs now.... It even comes complete with advice when I'm lost... A female voice that says "why don't you just stop and ask directions".

"Don't follow so close"

I'm telling you.. this is by far the best information center I've ever had... even if I'm not always pleased with it's telling me.
Are you serious? Wow

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Time will Tell

Adrenaline said:
Originally Posted by package

"Don't follow so close"

I'm telling you.. this is by far the best information center I've ever had... even if I'm not always pleased with it's telling me.)
Adrenaline said:
Are you serious? If you rev too hard does it say, "ohh, that hurts stop"? :)
Well, I'm guessing since you're 19 yrs old right now you may not have a lot of experience with this particular design of Driver Information Center.... I'm thinking you will sometime in the future however....

·
Banned
69 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
package said:
Well, I'm guessing since you're 19 yrs old right now you may not have a lot of experience with this particular design of Driver Information Center.... I'm thinking you will sometime in the future however....
hehehe this very much reminds me of the conversation about LSD when someone was joking about the drug and someone else thought they were being serious about the mechanical LSD. :D

Adrenaline, he's refering to the type of DIC that's usually of the opposite sex and sits in the passenger seat. :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts