Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I want a Solstice. But what color should I get? What color are you going to get?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you go to [this thread] or to [this thread] you'll find two fairly long conversations about this already. You can also go [HERE] to see piippor's most awesome photoshoped colors.

But since news is really slow, and I'm bored I'll answer.

Perosnally I want what's called Chrome Orange by Lotus or Orbital Orange by the crew that did the drifing GTO. Orange is a relaly hard color to pull off for most cars, but I think the Solstice or especially the VX Lightning would look fabulous in orange. Really bright orange, not the burnt metallic orange Pontiac offers already. However the color orange I would want isn't suually offered by most car companies so my second choice would be a nice bright yellow. Like the shade of yellow they offer the GTO in.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm looking for an orange as well. Something like they have on the PT Cruiser. That's my first choice, but if they don't offer orange, then probably a green mettalic like maybe the Subaru Forester or a Red mettalic like on the Crossfire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I like the orange color too, but also think the Solistice would look good in a bright yellow. Anyone know for sure what colors it will be produced in? :jester

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
No official coloring has been announced, or even hinted at besides the color they show the Solstice in, and the two tone leather interior. Maybe the orangeish-red color the Coupe Solstice Concept was show in (my avatar), but that was a foam concept model, so who knows about that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do like the Fusion Orange that Pontiac offers on it's current models. I thought I read once before that it was going to be only offered in Gun Metal Gray. Of course they have made other changes since that article, so a color option would be nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All those colors are great but they won't do the car justice until GM teaches their paint boys how to paint a car with no orange peel. Even the new G6 has horrible orange peel in the paint. You can even see on the car in the commericals on tv. Who knows maybe we'll get lucky and get Cadillac XLR/Corvette quality paint jobs but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Fred

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
fred96ws6 said:
All those colors are great but they won't do the car justice until GM teaches their paint boys how to paint a car with no orange peel. Even the new G6 has horrible orange peel in the paint. You can even see on the car in the commericals on tv. Who knows maybe we'll get lucky and get Cadillac XLR/Corvette quality paint jobs but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Fred
I think as a whole automotive paint finishes have been on the decline lately. I stopped by a Saturn dealer recently to look over the Ion Redlines out of curiosity regarding the S/C engine (no, I didn’t drive one but I may still give it a go) and the paint on those are not too good either. Lots of orange peel! Since I have been looking at cars closer on the road lately and sure enough, it seems like every automaker has some major orange peel problems.

I think its one area where they are “cost cutting” to be able to keep the prices down and the incentives up. So, I do not think we will get the best ever paint job on the Solstice, based on its promised price of under $20K. I doubt GM will put a high end paint job on the car. That said, GM’s paint jobs generally do look very good from a slight distance. Their reds, whites and blacks always look especially vivid to me compared with other makers.

As for me, I want the Solstice to be Red. Bright Red. However, I may be swayed if they offer a really nice candy apple red, to maroon-red. Something along the line of the Corvette 50th anniversary color, or the “Laser Red” (that’s its official name) that Ford used on Mustangs and Probes from about 1995-2001 or so (I had a 97 Probe that color, looked great IMO!). Otherwise, bright red it is. If GM does not offer any red, which I find hard to believe, but if they don’t, then I will likely choose another darker color that has a deep shine to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That orange looks amaizing along with those rims! I have a black car now and you cant match the reflective qualities of that car when its clean so i will probably get black again, my car now is a GM and i wax/polish a few times a year and it looks brand new, even after 5 years. I dont like red in a lot of cars, maybe a darker red would be nice, but if that orange is availible i might have to get that.

Oh, another nice color is Titanium, its availible in the RX-8 and i love it! Maybe GM can come out with something similar to that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I think as a whole automotive paint finishes have been on the decline lately. I stopped by a Saturn dealer recently to look over the Ion Redlines out of curiosity regarding the S/C engine (no, I didn’t drive one but I may still give it a go) and the paint on those are not too good either. Lots of orange peel! Since I have been looking at cars closer on the road lately and sure enough, it seems like every automaker has some major orange peel problems......
I know this all too well. I spent $3000 on paint work doing what the factory should have on my 350Z. I'd hate to do it again on the Solstice. Also, excessive orange peel is not exclusive to low end cars. I've seen a number of Audis and BMW X5's with very bad cases of it. It's very noticable on black. Silver tends to hide the effect.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
fred96ws6 said:

Fred
It's possible that we will get a better paint job on the Solstice. The reason that paint jobs are so bad these days is the time it takes to do them right. Mass produced cars have to keep moving on the assembly line at a pretty fast clip to be effecient, keep productivity up and reduce the over all cost of assembly. If assembly gets held up in the paint booth, then productivity for the plant goes down and costs go up. On the other hand they are fighting the constraints of modern paint chemistry.

Domestic manufacurers have the added disadvantage that the paint systems we have to use here to comply with EPA regulations are harder to put on well in a speedy manner. To keep their costs down they rush it. EPA requirements forcing new paint technologies is the reason that they had all those problems with peeling paint too.

The Solstice is going to be made at a much slower pace due to the hydroforming process, and lower sales expectations. With less pressure
to get them out the door in huge numbers, hopefuly this will allow them time to get the paint job right. I'm crossing my fingers for a great paint job.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Stephen M said:
I'm hoping for something in this color:

...of course, since I made that pic with the GIMP, there's no guarantee Pontiac will actually offer that color.

-Stephen M

Among all the Solstice pictures I have seen, I like this the most, this picture make the front end looks so sleak.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I want silver. It tends to hide the orange peel and the daily dust from this area doesn't show up to badly. Silver really cleans up well and can be matched, hopefully never need to, when repairs are needed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts