Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1981 - 1992 of 1992 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
@kwil

That looks great. I am going to explore different colors when I get my car painted early next year. I do not care for the silver either and I would have all of the silver painted a different color.

I do not know what would look good with yellow...
Thanks.
I would think either color matched yellow or black would look good on a yellow Solstice.

I may end up wrapping the tulip panel also but it looks like a harder job.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Base coats are done, will clearcoat tomorrow or the next day

View attachment 110063
Probably my biggest fail to date. Clear coated the panel with SEM matte clear, and for some reason, on the last coat a few blobs of clear sprayed from the gun on to the panel. After it dried, I attempted to polish them out and got a little too aggressive and went right through the clear in one spot. So I decided to re-do the whole thing. Sprayed it down again with Easy off, but it had no effect on the SEM paint. Tried laquer thinner and acetone, but it was slow going, so I tried some paint stripper. Long story short, the stripper caused multiple cracks in the panel so I threw it in the trash. Ugh. Luckily I had another panel laying around.

I think I'll skip the clear this time and just give it a coat of wax after it dries.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Base coats are done, will clearcoat tomorrow or the next day

View attachment 110063
Man, that looks like professionally done! Nice
We're hoping to get the same result for the incoming Camaro project. We'll work on it after we finished installing the brake kit and dually wheels on the current Superduty project. The interior of the Camaro will be fixed and repainted. We'll start with the dashboard.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
690 Posts
I love the silver...of coarse my car is silver!!! and what I did to mine...I walked by it today..well I think thats it as it's under cover,

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
690 Posts
mine is around 58000 so Ill be there too soon enough... EDIT.....oops..it's over 59000 :eek: and got a few more today.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Blacked out the chrome shifter ring. Rough sanded the chrome, coated with 2k epoxy primer, covered w/ SEM Ebony then SEM low luster clear, hopefully it'll stick. I've had problems in the past painting chrome.
Also installed my new custom shifter boot and shift knob, along with custom saddle bags.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Blacked out the chrome shifter ring. Rough sanded the chrome, coated with 2k epoxy primer, covered w/ SEM Ebony then SEM low luster clear, hopefully it'll stick. I've had problems in the past painting chrome.
Also installed my new custom shifter boot and shift knob, along with custom saddle bags. View attachment 110164
View attachment 110165
Nice job! I've had trouble painting chromed plastic in the past but did what you did with thorough sanding and priming, and it held up well.

1981 - 1992 of 1992 Posts