Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2128 Posts

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Actually my surgeon was really good about communicating all of that, including the possibility of going in to remove it down the road if needed.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
@chickenwire

That's good that your surgeon told you about all of those things ahead of time. I wish I was informed. I have nerve damage and the only way I know if I am standing on something hot like hot asphalt or concrete is because my other foot is burning. also because of the change in movement I now have problems with my hip and knee on the same side of my body. and also a problem with the bones in the top of my foot as well. Because of the reduced range of motion when pointing or lifting my toes when I walk instead of bending at the ankle the top of my foot has taken over part of the job, and the top of the foot isn't designed to be a joint. it tries to be one, and after many years it ends up being a problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@chickenwire

I know what you are going through..

View attachment 111478

The only thing that was holding my foot onto my body was the skin and muscles/tendons. both sides of my angle shattered. I have some 18 screws 3 rods 2 plates, and my Tibia and Fibula are screwed together. the large gray hose you see is attached to a set of "pipes" that are wrapped around my leg. at the other end just outside of the photo is an igloo cooler that has been fitted with a battery and a pump. I had to fill the cooler with cold water and ice many times a day. I had to keep frosty cold water running through the bandages 24 hours a day for 2 weeks folllowing the surgery....
The thing taped to my thigh is a regulator for a Lidocaine drip. the "pump" for the Lidocaine was a tube that has a spring and a plunger in it to push the Lidocaine. I had a tube that went into the back of my thigh right into the sciatic nerve. had that thing for a week.

It took me 10 years before I was able to drive a standard transmission vehicle after that. I still can't run or jump.
About 10 years ago I broke my foot. Lisfranc...it was nasty. I have 7 screws/pins, and a few fusion points where they scraped some bone from my leg to fill in some gaps. I was in a similar set up as your picture for a while. I can't drive manual still as I lose feeling from time to time due to extreme nerve damage (though I haven't tried in a few years).

It sucks that I have to explain this to people when they ask "why'd you buy an automatic sports car..."

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
[QUOTE="

It sucks that I have to explain this to people when they ask "why'd you buy an automatic sports car..."
[/QUOTE]

Simple response - "For the same reason I'm not kicking your a$$ for asking that question!" ;)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
@maddenry

The Solstice GXP I have now when I bought it i had not driven a manual in a long time because I had problems with the clutch. If you have the will and the want it will happen. it took about a year before the discomfort subsided and also to learn how to depress the clutch in a manner that didn't cause me discomfort. I also learned how to shift the car without using the clutch, in stop and go traffic I leave enough space between myself and the vehicle in front of me so I hardly ever have to come to a complete stop. on days when my leg and ankle are bothering me I do not drive the car..

Reactions: easyryderca

·
Registered
40 Posts
@maddenry

The Solstice GXP I have now when I bought it i had not driven a manual in a long time because I had problems with the clutch. If you have the will and the want it will happen. it took about a year before the discomfort subsided and also to learn how to depress the clutch in a manner that didn't cause me discomfort. I also learned how to shift the car without using the clutch, in stop and go traffic I leave enough space between myself and the vehicle in front of me so I hardly ever have to come to a complete stop. on days when my leg and ankle are bothering me I do not drive the car..
I’m probably going to have to have my screws/pins taken out in the near future, and I didn’t want to have to go through the trouble of learning a new way...I’m fine with the auto (actually made finding one easier).

it’s just a handful of snobs who believe in purity of driving experience bullshit that ruin it. The worst was at a car show with a Purple Heart winning buddy in a wheel chair because his legs barely work getting snide comments on his 67 Impala being an automatic.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The first Solstice I owned was an automatic. I do agree with operating the Solstice with a manual vs an automatic. However there are reasons why an automatic gets purchased. In the case of my first one, it was the wife... second one I said not a chance am I getting an automatic. She does know how to drive a manual so IDK why we got the automatic but we did. I wanted to stop her from driving my current one.. she keeps on running over things with all of our cars. So I did some upgrades to the car, took her for a ride around the block.. went from 35MPH to 90+MPH in a really big hurry. When she exited the vehicle she said "No way I am going to drive this car ever again" and my reply "mission accomplished!!"

There are reasons why a person will buy an automatic and it is ultimately their choice and decision. So long as they ar enjoying the vehicle then it's all gravy train on biscuit wheels.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Told my wife I was taking the cover off Saturday to start detailing it. She asked if I was going to put the cover back on. I asked if it would bother her seeing the car uncovered and not being able to drive it. Not only did I leave the cover off, I started it on Sunday and cranked the stereo up.

Yeah, that got me the ol' stink eye.

This morning my phone vibrates and it's a text message from our insurance company saying the "got her message" and have e-mailed a certificate for the road coverage being reinstated. lol

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not today, but yesterday. Drove the heck out of it. Took it out and had some fun on a country road. Lots of motorcyclists out enjoying the weather too. A couple of local PD took note of the drivers on this curvy road too and sat at one of the bends waiting to catch one of us.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Remember how I said my wife likes to run over things.. well yesterday she attempted to run over a a Jeep Compass with a 93 Subaru Legacy. Didn't work out so well, she totaled my winter beater and I am sure that we will have to endure a 50% increase in insurance rates for the next 3 years. The Jeep she hit was a complete POS. drivers side of it was all smashed and it had hail damage that was so bad it looked like someone went postal with a baseball bat. The thing had not been washed in what looked like more then a year. She rear ended the thing. when she slammed on the brakes the nose of the Subaru dropped enough where it slid under the Jeep. there was minimal damage to the Jeep. I could get a bumper, bumper cover and all the little bits and pieces in the same color for 250.00..The owner was instantly going on about how the vehicle is totaled blah blah blah. TThe person is thinking they are going to have a pay day... They only wanted to go through insurance because the car is totaled.. I hate people like that. literally less then 500 in damage is going to end up costing us close to 5,000 over 3 years. Not to mention the person HAD to have the police show up so of coarse my wife got a ticket for following to close.. I asked my wife if the other persons brakes lights were on.. she said she didn't remember. and of coarse she didn't have the person get in the car and step on the brakes to see if the lights were working.

So I replaced the coil packs in my Solstice and took it for a drive. I have to get the emissions done on it within the next 30 days and my wastegate is dumping to atmosphere. So I went to an exhaust shop to see what it would cost to have piped before he cat. The guy looked at it and looked a where the wastegate was and he said to me... Don't worry about it bring it to emissions as is. he computer has no codes and all of the IM Readiness tests have passed. he said because of the location of the wastegate unless they specifically know where to look to see if there is an external wastegate for 1 and then to see if it dumps back into the exhaust before the cat.. He said no way that is going to happen. There is nothing that is going to make them look for starters. and they don't even know what they are looking at 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Sat in the house and looked forward to day after tomorrow. It's going to in the seventies.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mounted the Recently Purchased Street Edition Wheels with Michelin PS 4 S's. Original Wheels

One Street Edition & one Original Wheel

Street is Neat!

What do you all think?
Next to swap out the nice Leather N/A seats in place of the Cloth originals

·
Registered
2009 Solstice GXP Manual #000017, 2016 Spark EV, 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 6.2 CarbonPro
44 Posts
Nice sunny day...time to pull this guy out for a spin! Optional chrome wheel package was bought with the car and stored, unopened, for 10 years. Still under 4,200 dry-weather miles on it.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I put on the tire chains today.. expecting over 4 feet of snow this weekend and I am going to need to get the car out of the driveway to do snow cleanup.

·
Registered
2006 Cool Silver NA 2008 Pure White NA
330 Posts
Washed mine too. I sure wish the previous owners would have spent some time keeping the inside of the wheels clean. But as tight as it is trying to get a hand up inside there, I can see how they got a bit neglected.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
798 Posts
I have big hands, you not real eazy to clean up there, my min issue is around the claiper...so just let the car roll a foot or 2 and eazy to clean. mine are surprisingly clean for a car this old, although some clear coat is bubling & coming on back there. Ive been sparaying some 4x4 offroad stuff to keep dirt from building up, that seems to work pretty good.although I didnt do that yesterday. and a pain to spray it there, I need to jack it up and spray from back side. my daughter and my grand kids are driving down today from tennasee.so I better hop in my solstce and go get then some food for the week. son in law flys in thursday.doubt Ill get a chance to spray the wheels.

2061 - 2080 of 2128 Posts