Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 2302 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,274 Posts
@HHGadget

LOL I know what you mean But if the horn was louder then your yelling you might actually use it..

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Well I truly got my driving chops learning a stick on the streets of Manhattan in the 80s.
You quickly learned that the only defense is a strong offense.

most people that drive with me agree that I am an “offensive” driver ;)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
No wonder why we do things in a very similiar manner and can hold a conversation with each other really well. I spent my younger years in Brooklyn and in Connecticut in my teens.I agree with you about the offensive driving and the frequent use of hand gestures. LOL

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
884 Posts
turn signals always worked on all my cars, even race cars, but had gestures were learned on my motorcycles....Im from NJ..

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
@marksbug

wasn't talking about those kinds of hand gestures.

Reactions: al_c and HHGadget

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Here in Cali, the motorcyclists don't hand gesture anymore, they kick and punch your car while they lane split in stop and go traffic...

No way i would ride on the street here in LA on anything that didn't have at least 4 wheels. The texting while driving is beyond out of hand here.

·
Registered
273 Posts
First coat of factory black on Norm's Recessed Grills...
I've been meaning to ask for a while now. What's the benefit of recessed grills. Is it purely cosmetic, oar are there any performance or cooling gains to be had by installing them?

By the way, what did I actually end up doing to my car this weekend?
  • Routed ScanGauge II cable from rearview mirror mounting location to below dash where OBDII conector is (had already mounted it to the rearview mirror using "BlendMount II" that came along with ScanGauge way back in 2009 when I purchased it)
  • Removed trunk release button, filed and cleaned its connector terminals, sprayed a lot of contact cleaner inside the button. Pushed it multiple times. Checked with a multimeter, below 1 ohm resistance when pressed.
  • Removed boomerang for first time, removed fog light button for cleaning.
  • Cleaned fog light button in the same way as trunk release button.
  • Swapped driver's centre vent with passenger's as driver's vent was "sticking out" of boomerang by about 3mm. One of its 3 tabs is not holding very well, at least when installed on passenger centre vent side, it stays flush.
  • Refit trunk release and fog light buttons
  • Reinstalled boomerang and rest of dash
  • Found out my button cleaning was insufficient and both trunk release and fog light stopped working once contact cleaner dried up -- WTH???
  • Removed trunk button again. Pulled it apart this time and filed away at some tiny green corrosion dots on the gold plated contacts. Trunk button working poerfectly now.
  • Did not remove fog button again as boomerang and rest of dash was already fully reassembled. Button works 7/10 times.
  • Drove the twisties for a couple hours

I ended up not doing many points of my original list including lubricating the top sliding thingies. The silicon grease I got a hold to is quite viscous and sticky. Seems like it'd make a mess in there. But will still try it out.

·
Registered
747 Posts
They are just Cosmetic, but I think they make the car look better. I was never able to get over the comment made to me several years ago by a rude mustang driver, he told me my Sly N/A's front end looked like a "Beaver" I really could not argue with him. I think the recessed grills take away much of the buck tooth look the stock N/A front end has, without making any unreversible changes to the front facia. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
273 Posts
They are just Cosmetic, but I think they make the car look better. I was never able to get over the comment made to me several years ago by a rude mustang driver, he told me my Sly N/A's front end looked like a "Beaver" I really could not argue with him. I think the recessed grills take away much of the buck tooth look the stock N/A front end has, without making any unreversible changes to the front facia. Just my opinion.
I'm happy to hear they are just cosmetic. And a great product at that.
I respect you and others' opinions but still prefer the stock grille, I love how it is really flush to the bumper cover and follows the same curve as the other surfaces around it.

I believe your "rude stang driver" contact surely was up to his years in jealousy and could not express it in any other way than finding flaws in the car. 😁

What I do believe to be erm... "inspired" in beaver's teeth are the new 3 and 4-series BMW grilles. I'm sure they are excellent cars and sharp and great as any other BMW but the style just doesn't cut it with me.

From what I found researching this forum though Norm is a great craftsman/artist and I'm sure his work is excellent. When I change my exhaust to dual exit Norm's rear valance might be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I always liked the looks of a recessed grille, even before Norm's excellent version came along. I built my own after seeing his work. They really do little to improve airflow but do wonders for the ego.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
What I do believe to be erm... "inspired" in beaver's teeth are the new 3 and 4-series BMW grilles. I'm sure they are excellent cars and sharp and great as any other BMW but the style just doesn't cut it with me.
So true! What the heck were their designers thinking?!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I never liked the silver they used for the grills on the NA. the black looks so much better. even the silver on the tulip panel and the windshield frame I have never cared for.

tulip panel: the panel between the trunk and the rear glass. It was originally called a "Two Lip" panel because it spanned between the lip for the rear glass and the lip of the trunk. Over the years it got chopped down into "tulip" panel.

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
232 Posts
I like the dark grills with the lip around them custom-finished in chrome or brushed aluminum:

Also very much like that treatment on Norm's recessed version:

Also think I might like them with honeycomb painted to match the metallic on Deep, Sly, Cool, and Wicked. Just haven't seen any.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Here is a comparision of my recessed and stock grills installed on my 2006 Sly. I painted the tunnels Body color and kept the grill color stock

·
Registered
273 Posts
All right, recessed grills are more... Pontiac-y. And the example photos in the last few posts do make it justice. The recessed grills look good too.

Actually it's hard to make this car not lookd good. 😁

2241 - 2260 of 2302 Posts