Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
2861 - 2880 of 2919 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
2,866 Posts
Washed old Sparkle Butt and covered her up.
No sense letting her get dirty while waiting for the new clutch and turbo.
Hopefully get some time to work on the Smoothline project this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,055 Posts
car show day in Absecon, NJ

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
1,934 Posts
I got mine early pandemic so flying and driving (plus it was late winter) from Montana to LA seemed a bad idea.
That being said it is very different now and the drive is more fun than a chore if you appreciate the journey :)
I would like the drive much more if the wife was with me, but I doubt thats gonna happen if I do find one,(witch I have but $24000 is a little outa my range. ) Ive found a good few automatic gxp's but cool ones are not out there like all the balck&white&sly ones are, and a few wicked ones. Im kinda stuck on silver. quite a few low$ gray&black ones out there.with high millage of coarse. as for what I did on my solstice today, well i went into the garage looked at the coupe for a little while,it seems to be harder not to work on it than to work on it. But i cant touch it till june when I return from trip,or I will be in pain the entire 2 weeks. been there done that.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Did the DDM backbone last week. This weekend, completed the DDM Probeam! It wasn't too difficult after watching a few videos. I was a bit concern about drilling into the cross beam. Being my paranoia self, I sprayed anti-rust goo in there prior to installing the probeam.
I did remove the exhaust from its hanger for the backbone. Reinstalling the hangers were the most frustrating part. For some reason now the rear pipes looked out of alignment! The passenger pipe is within a finger width from the black valence. :(

Next job: Replace the belts! Oohh.... and my Windstrictor is on the way. Should arrive by Star Wars day! :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Did the DDM backbone last week. This weekend, completed the DDM Probeam! It wasn't too difficult after watching a few videos. I was a bit concern about drilling into the cross beam. Being my paranoia self, I sprayed anti-rust goo in there prior to installing the probeam.
I did remove the exhaust from its hanger for the backbone. Reinstalling the hangers were the most frustrating part. For some reason now the rear pipes looked out of alignment! The passenger pipe is within a finger width from the black valence. :(

Next job: Replace the belts! Oohh.... and my Windstrictor is on the way. Should arrive by Star Wars day! :)
I'lln be soon (in a couple months) be doing exatcli the Windrestrictor and the Probeam. Due to shipping costs I will get a local CNC laser cutting shop to cut me a backbone based on the original's shape.

EDIT: By the way. I had promised photos of the Black Cat Customs gauge faces. Here they are. I'm regretting the fact I didn't order the LED kit too (I wanted to save a little). The OEM lighting is now too dim to be seen during twilight. It's fine at night. Even without the LED upgrades, the scales on the dials are now perfectly visible at all times.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
well today, I think, Im hopeful that I managed to strike a deal on a 07 gxp low mile garaged since new silver solstice with under 29000 miles. one owner car I still have to work out all the details and go get it 3 almost 4 states away. Hopefuly it will be hear thursday...I hope. The funny thing the owner was hear in town 3 weeks ago. I asked if another trip was planed soon so I dont have to go get it...but, dam I want it now!!! But as with all deals it aint true till it's in my garage and tittled in my name. it's a lot more$$ than I wanted to spend...but I cant stand not driving my solstice. and from the pics it looks like new and the low miles are a pluss.it does have new tires and 1 year old battery. if it happens I sure am going to miss my steel&sandy interrior.

·
Registered
305 Posts
well today, I think, Im hopeful that I managed to strike a deal on a 07 gxp low mile garaged since new silver solstice with under 29000 miles. one owner car I still have to work out all the details and go get it 3 almost 4 states away. Hopefuly it will be hear thursday...I hope. The funny thing the owner was hear in town 3 weeks ago. I asked if another trip was planed soon so I dont have to go get it...but, dam I want it now!!! But as with all deals it aint true till it's in my garage and tittled in my name. it's a lot more$$ than I wanted to spend...but I cant stand not driving my solstice. and from the pics it looks like new and the low miles are a pluss.it does have new tires and 1 year old battery. if it happens I sure am going to miss my steel&sandy interrior.
Good luck, so jealous.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
put off the pick up till next tuesday...renting a car to go over there seems to be the smart way to do it.and leave it there. hopefuly all this will happen.

·
Registered
2007 GXP Mean Yellow 5 speed
35 Posts
To pick up mine this February, I took a Greyhound from Erie to Raleigh. The bus trip was an experience of itself and the ride home was great. Good luck with the trip & the new ride. 😎

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
2,866 Posts
I'lln be soon (in a couple months) be doing exatcli the Windrestrictor and the Probeam. Due to shipping costs I will get a local CNC laser cutting shop to cut me a backbone based on the original's shape.

EDIT: By the way. I had promised photos of the Black Cat Customs gauge faces. Here they are. I'm regretting the fact I didn't order the LED kit too (I wanted to save a little). The OEM lighting is now too dim to be seen during twilight. It's fine at night. Even without the LED upgrades, the scales on the dials are now perfectly visible at all times.

Not seeing the pics 008...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Not seeing the pics 008...
Strange, I can see them when accessing from my PC (the one I used to post them). But not from my phone. Here they go again. Inserted in a different than previous post. Click on any of the small pics to seem them in full size. Note the @TomatoSoup custom trunk open icon! And, now I can finally know for certain how fast (or slow) I'm going...

Automotive lighting Gauge Audio equipment Measuring instrument Gas
Automotive lighting Gauge Measuring instrument Gas Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Kitchen appliance Cookware and bakeware Audio equipment Kitchen utensil

Speedometer Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gauge
Speedometer Gauge Steering part Steering wheel Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Strange, I can see them when accessing from my PC (the one I used to post them). But not from my phone. Here they go again. Inserted in a different than previous post. Click on any of the small pics to seem them in full size. Note the @TomatoSoup custom trunk open icon! And, now I can finally know for certain how fast (or slow) I'm going...
I cannot see them in your initial post about them, but can in this one.

Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts

View attachment 120207 View attachment 120209 View attachment 120206

View attachment 120208 View attachment 120210 View attachment 120211
Yup came through this time. Looks fantastic 008!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Definitely looks more exciting than our grey stockers. Although I quite like the yellow gauges in the Sky. Was the swap tricky?
It involves taking out the boomerang and the gauge cluster.

You then unclip the cluster's clear plastic lens, remove the dial needles and change the OEM acetate gauge face with the custom one. The trickiest part is aligning the needles back in place. But there's instructions here at the forum, check them out (kudos to Mark @TomatoSoup): Black Cat Gauge Cluster Face

Took me a few tries because I followed his instructions loosely. Turns out you have to follow them to the letter and the main reason for that is that even the "resting"/negative position the needles stop at after you turn off ignition, are not the absolute minimum position the needles can go. The mechanical internal detent on the needle mechanisms is a few milimetres below where the Gauge cluster's electronics leave the needles after turning off. You can actually see the needles going down al the way then going bacvk up by a few milimetres (but still below zero on the scale). I was using the mechanical detent as a reference and my needles ended up staying too low every time.

So the only reliable reference you will have is the actual zero positions of the needles and you will have those available only for 15secs or so after you turn off the key. If you set your needles to zero (can be one at a time between key on and off cycles) correctly during this period, you will have a correct reading.

As for the gas gauge needle, I set it by trial and error where I felt it was consistent between full and empty. Setting it to zero on the dial scale during the 15 sec key off made it read way too high with the key on (I filled the tank to the maximum before adjusting so I would know where the full position would be).
The right adjustment for me turned out to be a little bit below zero for empty (key off 15 secs position) and a little bit above maximum on the scale for full. I repeated the process until was satisfied the empty and full positions were about the same distance from their respective scale "ends" as printed on the gauge face.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
To pick up mine this February, I took a Greyhound from Erie to Raleigh. The bus trip was an experience of itself and the ride home was great. Good luck with the trip & the new ride. 😎
I thought about flying, then the bus,then my wife and I were taking dinner to mom across town and mom said we can all go in my van2017 (toyota) witch was fine and mom needed to get out of the house with out my crazy skitzo sister that seems to of moven in to moms...( I think she is trying to homestead moms house,it's worth 4x what hers is, and shes trying to drive mom to early grave, but thats another story) we had to put the trip off till next week and mom cant go ,so I was back to thinken.wife wanted to take her honda element...thats when rental car came to mind.$56 and leave it in neworleans.so no fuel for 2 cars coming back just the solstice.and her honda is wore out 200000 miles or so but she wont get rid of it.( Im tired of replacing crap on it, an now has developed a oil leek I cant seem to find/fix,so...no I aint hitting the road in it any more.) so rental it is !! last time I checked bus rides it was dam neer what a flight would cost. I rented a car in miami 2 months ago for 3-4 day it used about $9 in fuel, I hope this one gets as good or better millage.so now Im just going nuts hopeing I get the new car. she said she had to go get the tittle out of the safe deposit box before she changed her mind. first owner always garaged 28000 miles..she is attached to it witch I understand. sorry for the long post Im going nuts weighting, and now it's raining so plans on piddleing on the 06 are out the door.as is yard work..

·
Registered
833 Posts
Replaced the serpentine and p/w belts yesterday evening. For some reason I dreaded this work because of the varying approaches to the serpentine belt. Removing the upper coolant hose wasn't palatable. In the end it was most easy going at both via the bottom. It took about 10mins of total effort for the replacement with this approach as the belts were direct line of sight. It mitigates finangling the coolant hose, removal of the intake box and what not.
Note that the OG belts didn't show any signs of cracks. Just wear. Car is 93k km.

Also took some photos of the WP that I posted for feedback in the other thread.

I think it's just Windrestrictor left to do and she's ready to see the sunlight in June! :)

2861 - 2880 of 2919 Posts