Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
3161 - 3180 of 3230 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,721 Posts
Adjusted the tie rod ends 1/4 turn to get the new custom wheel straight. :) A first for me. Worked as advertised.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,118 Posts
If you adjusted your tie rods to get the center line on the steering wheel correct and the original steering wheel was straight before you changed the wheel now your steering is going to be off. It will turn more in one direction then the other direction. If you have ESC it is going to throw the steering angle off as well and the car may not behave properly in a spin or a slide.

Centering the steering wheel is easily done by turning it all the way one direction and then counting the number of 1/2 turns until it is turned all the way to the other direction.. Divide that number by 2 and turn the steering wheel back that nuber of 1/2 turns. Ideally the steering wheel should be straight but in your case it will not be. it will be crooked. Next step is taking a string that is longer then the car and tying it to the rear control arm. Pull the string around the middle of a back tire and then pull the string to the front of the car. pull the string tight and bring it in towards the front tire. do this on both sides of the car and adjust the tie rods so that the string contacts the front and back sidewall of the front tire at the same time. Then pull the steering wheel off and center it and bolt it back on.

You were probably 1 or 2 splines off when you put the steering wheel on.

Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Reactions: HHGadget

·
Registered
7,890 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
Pulled my Sweeplite tailights LEDs and replaced with the oem bulbs and my hyper flash turn signal issue went away. So much for “no resistors needed” advertising. Sigh.
Also put new, 1 step smaller t-bolt clamps on the turbo exhaust to charge tube coupler. Hopefully this will stop the turbo whistle.
Too hot out here for much else today. 105 forecast for the next 7 days. Yikes!

Also got a tracking number on my Crate Depot order (thanks Tom!) for the GMPP CARB certified CAI. Hopefully will see it today :)
Stay cool out there folks.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,118 Posts
Tom managed to locate a GMPP CAI. I didn't think there were any left to be had.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
Threw on the GMPP CAI this morning.
97degress at 10:00 am. Ran back inside :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Lights it up like an afterburner. I hope it grabs attention by the collar! Nice work!

Richard
The camera exaggerated the effect quite a bit but I'll certainly be better seen by whoever is tailing me now. Which happens a lot, they all come real close to read the brand and model of the car, which they don't succeed at, due to the PO having debadged the rear 😁

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Today hurricane Kay’s very outerbands finally pushed off this two week heat wave here in LA this afternoon. It rained for the first time in so long i cant remember (maybe december?)
Top up, windows down and arm out the window feeling that glorious rain smack against my skin.
Even with traffic what a great drive home :)

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
My bride gets nervous driving the sol on a 2 lane state highway that we take into town because it's so low and easily overlooked. This morning's run into town to pick up a few things and have lunch with our son and grandson started by me backing the Sol out of the driveway and getting into the passenger seat so she could drive.

She was apprehensive at first and I told her I would drive, but she climbed into the driver's seat. I whispered "you'll thank me later" as she hasn't driven it in a while.)

A few minutes later on the country roads she pinned it to the floor and started giggling and said "I've missed you!"

(I was almost a bit jealous!)

3161 - 3180 of 3230 Posts