Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
3181 - 3200 of 3230 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Today was change the taillight bulbs in my coupe! I had installed, years ago, some bulbs that made the light sequential. The right one started the rapid flash while in S Dakota. So I replaced them back to original bulbs. Now if your not familiar with coupes you don’t know the challenge of changing a taillight. Remove wheel, remove rear fender liner plugs and bolt. Bend back fender liner and reach up to unscrew the two wing nuts that hold the taillight unit. Also once loose it can be challenging getting the unit out to change the bulb. Suggest taping alone body edge to avoid scratching. Then carefully re-install everything!! It’s done and probably took me 1 1/2 hours. My convertible i can do both in 15 minutes. Still love my kappas!

Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Today was change the taillight bulbs in my coupe! ...
You have probably heard this story, but on my first trip with my coupe I had a cam actuator failure, $300 or so at a Buick Dealer in Kerrville TX. Later that weekend (Twisted Sisters with the DFW club) I had a taillight go out. The same dealer fixed it for FREE. Probably guilty conscious on the part of the mechanic. I now know the cam sensor is a $20 fix if you DIY.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
Today was change the taillight bulbs in my coupe! I had installed, years ago, some bulbs that made the light sequential. The right one started the rapid flash while in S Dakota. So I replaced them back to original bulbs. Now if your not familiar with coupes you don’t know the challenge of changing a taillight. Remove wheel, remove rear fender liner plugs and bolt. Bend back fender liner and reach up to unscrew the two wing nuts that hold the taillight unit. Also once loose it can be challenging getting the unit out to change the bulb. Suggest taping alone body edge to avoid scratching. Then carefully re-install everything!! It’s done and probably took me 1 1/2 hours. My convertible i can do both in 15 minutes. Still love my kappas!
Coincidentally i just did the same. Except mine is a vert so much easier.
Also replaced the license plate light bulb
I am mid-way on converting the marker lights to turn signals but i have led marker lamps so we will see if it actually works.
Installed a used pedal commander (i know, i know oh the controversy- i like it and it was cheap from a fellow forum member)
Replaced my license plate frame back camera.
Vehicle registration plate Photograph Motor vehicle Cloud Automotive exterior

found a spot for thr GMPP CARB sticker.

Tomorrow:
Dash gauge lights are out.. is there a fuse for them under the hood or in the BCM?
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Paint

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Saturday and yesterday morning: finished up my tail lights mod (finally!), now the stop lamps do not blink when the turn signals are activated.
Yesterday late morning and afternoon: spent the day creating my Frankenmirror, a mash-up of a Chrysler Sebring rearview mirror (has the map lights) and a GM mirror (don't exactly remember what vehicle it came out) that has external temperature readout. Ended up wiring the door open negative wire inverted with the general negative wire so my mirror only turns on when the doors are open :ROFLMAO: Will rectify this (and add a RAP/switched power feed from the BCM to the mirror, currently it is wired on the constant on / ILC lead) tonight .

Overall more than 12 hours of work put into the car this weekend. I was extenuated and on a schedule so didn't take nearly enough photos to document and do a write-up.

I'll give it a week or two to rest then will try to do a write-up at least on the tail lights. For the mirror there are several great guides here and I wouldn't recommend going the route I did. Best to search at pick-n-npulls for more compatible mirrors.

TO DO:

• Wire my MAF sensor extender harness (I found the male and female connectors for sale -- yay)
  • Have someone weld some actual real supports to my CAI pipe
  • Find the correct colour filter to make my mirror display light up red, install it
  • Use the same filter to change the radio display colour to red
  • Get the machinist to turn a shifter adaptor so I can install my stainless shifter knob
  • Have the upholsterer make a new leather, silver stitched shifter boot
  • Install the ProBeam
  • Install the acoustic headliner
  • Change the gauge cluster lights from the incandescent bulbs to red LED's
  • Whatever new mods/improvements I think of next... 😁

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
I am mid-way on converting the marker lights to turn signals but i have led marker lamps so we will see if it actually works.
If you are using the simple 'markers->turn signals' mod (i.e. no relays) then your LED marker lights will need to have a bridge rectifier in circuit for them to work properly. This is because the current reverses depending on if the parking lights are on or off, when you use the turn signal. If you don't have the bridge rectifier, the turns will only work in one position of the lights.

I wrote up a thread on this on the kappaperformance forum: http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=9704.0

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
If you are using the simple 'markers->turn signals' mod (i.e. no relays) then your LED marker lights will need to have a bridge rectifier in circuit for them to work properly. This is because the current reverses depending on if the parking lights are on or off, when you use the turn signal. If you don't have the bridge rectifier, the turns will only work in one position of the lights.

I wrote up a thread on this on the kappaperformance forum: Making the DBG 'Convert Side-Marker Lights into Turns' mod work with LEDs
Yes i read that thread and my eyeballs crossed, you are miles of brains ahead of me Mr Soup!
That being said i purchased the blacked out led side markers as a unit (not a bulb) and tried the "easy way" first just to see.
So far, so good. Need to try it at night of course. Will post an update tonight when i get home from work and it is dark enough to test. I have high hopes. (says the guy who is on wife #4)
:unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Yes i read that thread and my eyeballs crossed, you are miles of brains ahead of me Mr Soup!
That being said i purchased the blacked out led side markers as a unit (not a bulb) and tried the "easy way" first just to see.
So far, so good. Need to try it at night of course. Will post an update tonight when i get home from work and it is dark enough to test. I have high hopes. (says the guy who is on wife #4)
:unsure:
Lucky me! It appears that the LED marker light units being sold on ebay (not led bulbs in the oem orange marker lights) work perfect with the “easy” version of the turn signal mod.
Yay, no bridge rectumfriers for me.
Whew!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
HH, We will not go into wife numbering. After the last time it was suggested I lease rather than marry. I have a good story that will come to you in a PM...eventually.

I have the same marker lamps and have put off TS's mod for too long. You have now not only made me smile tonight but provided the nudge, and courage, to add another mode to the pile. Wahoo! Post a video of the led markers as turn signals working, please.

Richard

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
HH, We will not go into wife numbering. After the last time it was suggested I lease rather than marry. I have a good story that will come to you in a PM...eventually.

I have the same marker lamps and have put off TS's mod for too long. You have now not only made me smile tonight but provided the nudge, and courage, to add another mode to the pile. Wahoo! Post a video of the led markers as turn signals working, please.

Richard
It was so easy.
Strip back the tape on the line running to the maker ligh nearest to where it y’s off the feed to the fog light.
Just snip the black line running to the marker light.
Get a wire t, attach it to the near by blue line running to the fog lamps, and run the snipped black from the marker light line into it.
If you take your time and snip in the right area and have some small heat shrink and some heat cloth tape you can clean it up nicer than oem.
Soups linked thread has the simplified schematic.
Too easy. Cost me two wire t’s, some heat cloth tape and a small amount of heat shrink.

·
Premium Member
18,722 Posts
Pulled my Sweeplite tailights LEDs and replaced with the oem bulbs and my hyper flash turn signal issue went away. So much for “no resistors needed” advertising. Sigh.
Also put new, 1 step smaller t-bolt clamps on the turbo exhaust to charge tube coupler. Hopefully this will stop the turbo whistle.
Too hot out here for much else today. 105 forecast for the next 7 days. Yikes!

Also got a tracking number on my Crate Depot order (thanks Tom!) for the GMPP CARB certified CAI. Hopefully will see it today :)
Stay cool out there folks.
When I installed my sweeplights the instructions said add resistors. I did and have not had any issues. They were built before the standard was to include load resisters as part of the unit.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
When I installed my sweeplights the instructions said add resistors. I did and have not had any issues. They were built before the standard was to include load resisters as part of the unit.
Rob, this reminded of something I wanted to ask. Where have you mounted your resistors?

I mounted mine right underneath the tail lights (but not touching them) where a screw joins the wheel liner to the rear quarter panel. It is a sheet metal area but the bolt I used to mount it (replacing the screw and clip) goes through a plastic structure underneath so I'm thinking this plastic part might warp due to the heat.

·
Premium Member
18,722 Posts
I initially mounted the resisters under the tails. But the heat eventually melted the lights. Now they are mounted to the frame below the tails

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
When i bought them last year the website said they do not need resistors. and they didnt. For the first year…

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Ahhh. I bought mine five years ago? Long time
For anyone interested in what we are talking about. Sweeplite:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
TO DO:

• Wire my MAF sensor extender harness (I found the male and female connectors for sale -- yay)
  • Have someone weld some actual real supports to my CAI pipe
  • Find the correct colour filter to make my mirror display light up red, install it -- GAVE UP on this one since the display is already too dim. Blueish green it will be then, at least for now.
  • Use the same filter to change the radio display colour to red Suspended for now, see above.
  • Get the machinist to turn a shifter adaptor so I can install my stainless shifter knob DONE
  • Have the upholsterer make a new leather, silver stitched shifter boot Already in the upholsterer's hands now
  • Install the ProBeam
  • Install the acoustic headliner
  • Change the gauge cluster lights from the incandescent bulbs to red LED's
  • Whatever new mods/improvements I think of next... 😁
Not in the list: ran a wire from switched +12v to my mirror connector. Also had to disassemble my "Frankenmirror" to change the "door open lighting" LED's that were flickering.

·
Registered
Base Solstice 2007, Pure, Std 5 speed.
58 Posts
For anyone interested in what we are talking about. Sweeplite:
That still says no resistors needed, but they failed you after a year?

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
That still says no resistors needed, but they failed you after a year?
Maybe. Maybe it either cause the fuse #69 to blow, or they started hyper flashing after that fuse blew?
I need some time to investigate. Nothing else in my lighting or electrical has changed other than the license plate bulb blowing. Maybe that caused the issue.
Again I need to try them again now that i have the fuse and bulb replaced...

3181 - 3200 of 3230 Posts