Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
3201 - 3220 of 3230 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I’m thinking mine were in about 6 years. Just this summer the left signal started the hyper flash and not constant. I installed back to regular bulbs last Saturday.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
Today i added the DDM Oil Catch Can. I ordered it with the braided hoses. As per usual, excellent packaging, instructions and quality product!
I really appreciate the attention to detail in the placement and shape of it so that it looks like a part of the car. Nice feature is that it hooks under and sits just above the electrical lines that sit natively right there. Cleans up the look and adds a modicum of protection to those lines.
(The Werks black powder coated fuse box cover matches nicely with the DDM Catch can)
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Office equipment Metal

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
My NOS 650101 Fluidampr is waiting for the power steering pulley (which converts it to the 650111 compatible with the Sky/Sol) I commissioned from a machine shop generously recommended to me by JohnWr arrive:
(Thanks to the kind folks at Fluidampr for generously sharing their archived PDF of the 2006 CAD for the pulley)

Camera lens Automotive tire Reflex camera Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera Digital camera

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,118 Posts
You have it attached to the wrong line. It is not going to collect much oil with it being connected to the PCV line. This is because the valve cover has baffles built into it to keep oil out of that line. The line the oil comes from is the vent line, the one with the check valve. The catch can should be connected so the "IN on the catch can gets connected to the valve cover and the "out" gets connected to the intake pipe. Throw the check valve in the garbage as it will no longer be needed because you will not care what direction the air flow in at that point because the catch can is what is going to keep the oil out of the intake pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
It is installed where DDM has said to install it.
After reading your posts about this topic i am considering a second one on the vent line.
If so i do the like the RPM ones showing mounting it in front of the valve cover as one possible solution..
Still pondering location and look.
Meanwhile i pulled the vent line and valve and checked for oil. There was almost none.
Cleaned the line out with maf sensor cleaner anyways just as a bare minimum of maintenance.
Blew on the valve from both directions and it appears to be doing its job.
I also wrapped the oem braided line from the front of the valve cover with fabric heat tape mainly to keep it from scratching the polished GMPP CAI tube while i figure it all out.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Check after another 1000 miles of hard driving. Pull the intake pipe off the turbo and see if there is any oil pooling up on the intake bore at the bottom of the turbo compressor housing. That is the best way to check. The oil vapor as it passes through the vent line isn't going to deposit much in the way of reside because the vapor is hot and the line is made from rubber and is not going to have a lot of thermal difference from the vapor. But when that vapor gets into the aluminum intake pipe that is where it will condense and roll down the sides of the pipe and toll into the front of the turbo where it will collect.

Make sense?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Th check valve is a band-aide that GM used along with the "crossover" pipe that doesn't cross anything over and is only used to store the oil that condenses in the CAC. GM only had to get the vehicles past the 36k mile warranty and then it would no longer be their problem. That is exactly what they were able to accomplish with the check valve and crossover pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Th check valve is a band-aide that GM used along with the "crossover" pipe that doesn't cross anything over and is only used to store the oil that condenses in the CAC. GM only had to get the vehicles past the 36k mile warranty and then it would no longer be their problem. That is exactly what they were able to accomplish with the check valve and crossover pipe.
Pardon my density here, but could i run both lines into and out of the same catch can (in this case with a “y” fitting on each of the fittings on the catch can?
Or would this present a vacuum/pressure issue?
Something like this but with the correct size fittings?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
no you can't. If you do then the suction line that comes off the turbo normally and in your case it's the line that is closest to the turbo will end up sucking air from the intake pipe instead of sucking the vapor out of the valve cover.

Reactions: HHGadget

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
call me on the phone and I will explain it better to you. it's a lot to type out and far easier to tell you verbally.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I replaced the plastic clip for the cable to driver's side tulip flap on my second Solstice bought a month ago. Fortunately I already had spares!

Reactions: HHGadget

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Check after another 1000 miles of hard driving.

Make sense?
Hah! That would be almost all of my driving.
I was just informed by my wife the reason why her friends never ask for me to drive them anywhere, even in my jeep. What can i say? I really learned to drive on the streets of NYC in the late ‘80s. The only defensive driving was driving offensively :)
On the plus side, screw ‘em. They can take an Uber!

·
Registered
2009 , Solstice base 5 speed Red
106 Posts
I replaced the battery in Ruby . I used the fender removal method because I needed to clean the battery tray. I have to wonder who was the genius who decided to weld the tray to chassis instead of bolting it on. Yea yea its all about pennies but dagnabit it aint good.
I cleaned as best I could for today and put on some rust treatment. Will have to plan a weekend attack later to blast the rust and get some good paint on it . Perhaps even bedliner.. Oh well the Optima 34/78 is now in place and good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
3201 - 3220 of 3230 Posts