Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
3301 - 3320 of 3345 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
If needed, I have removed the entire interior of the Sol and taken pictures of each step. Its in the Punisher thread. That is why I keep my index to the tread so I can reference things as they come up.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,581 Posts
That subwoofer is a decent woofer. it uses a rare earth magnet and it has an exceptionally high effiency at 91dB.

Do you have packing peanuts? if you do pull the sub and enclosure. take the subwoofer out and fill the enclosure with packing peanuts. make a box that measures 12" x 12" x 12" and mark the inside of the box up the height in 1" increments. dump the packing peanuts out of the enclosure into the box. tell me what mark it fills to inside the box. This is how you get the volume of the enclosure. I am willing to bet it is undersized. I say this because you said the bass was punchier then it was with the OE sub. That leads me to believe that the enclosure is too small. If that is the case it is not going to be too far off and the addition of some decron-polyfill (pillow stuffing) lightly packed into the enclosure will help that issue.

I am thinking this subwoofer would be a better fit for the enclosure.

The power handling of focal product is on the high side from real world. That subwoofer would work well with a 100 to 150 watt amplifier.
All true, however i wasn't looking for a big improvement. If i was, ditching the moonsoon system and completely redoing the setup including running new wiring would be in order.
The system is good enough for a noisy by nature convertible for me. In the meantime i appreciate the punchiness of the new sub and its efficiency is one of the reasons that makes it one of the few appropriate subs out there for the OEM monsoon system.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,564 Posts
I went for a drive to moms yesterday to take her out for a few hours in her van where ever she wanted to go. I got back hoped my my gxp and drove home. I parked in under the car port, around 5:30 I went out tto wipe it down and put on the car port..it was like sand paper :eek: ****,the pine trees across the street were misting sap everywhere.the temps are droping fast & bright sunlight. so around 50 degrees Im out washing my car before that sap takes set. it seems to of all come off good,I had just ceramic waxed it 2 weeks earlyer and ceramic detailed on Friday before heading out the cars&coffie on saturday morning then to moms. a word to the wize always do a light hand swipe across your cars to see what they have accumulated especialy before putting on car cover.and when the temos drop and the trees start sending the sap out thier pores like some do.. and a good slick detailer also helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I have a habit of lightly brushing my fingers across the top of the spoiler every time I walk behind the cars in the garage. There have been a few times when my plans for the day turned into detailing a car or two. Usually, I can figure out what to blame it on (parked under trees etc.) but sometimes it can be hard to trace. Once last summer the only thing that made sense to blame was ash from the forest fires out west. I ended up doing two cars that day!

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
16 Posts
If needed, I have removed the entire interior of the Sol and taken pictures of each step. Its in the Punisher thread. That is why I keep my index to the tread so I can reference things as they come up.
You wouldn't happen to know around what page, would you? If not, I know how I will be spending my night... scrolling through 177 pages!

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
tell me what you are looking for and I will check the index. It is in the thread but back a bit LOL

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Mine is getting a wash before it goes into winter storage later today.
my winter storage is, car cover on when Im done for the day and car cover off the next day for a ride....unless I give the car the day off.( it's my only car untill the coupe is finished., the wife has a new truck) the bug is sold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
tell me what you are looking for and I will check the index. It is in the thread but back a bit LOL
I think I am going to be pulling out most of the interior to take care of Mickey's cousins attempting to move in during her year long slumber. I would rather not break too many tabs if someone else has done it, if not I will wing it and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,581 Posts
From what i have seen on the forum the common spots for rodent hibernation are under the hood or rear trunk. Even (and perhaps especially) under the Mayan temple on top of the gas tank….

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I found a nest under the engine cover between #2 and #3 coils, and in the front passengers side trunk corner. The nest was made from the insulation on the "hush panel" over the passengers feet. I also have plastic pieces around the pedals and found dropping in the glove box, and under the center console... So I think pulling the seats and shampooing the carpets, inspecting a few more areas, and maybe pulling EVERYTHING if I need to. With the insulation GM usually uses, it would hold a lot of urine. It figures, the one year I actually took precautions for rodents and didn't just park it, they moved in. This year I am going to be like the guy in Caddyshack...

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Yeah, I found a nest under the engine cover between #2 and #3 coils, and in the front passengers side trunk corner. The nest was made from the insulation on the "hush panel" over the passengers feet. I also have plastic pieces around the pedals and found dropping in the glove box, and under the center console... So I think pulling the seats and shampooing the carpets, inspecting a few more areas, and maybe pulling EVERYTHING if I need to. With the insulation GM usually uses, it would hold a lot of urine. It figures, the one year I actually took precautions for rodents and didn't just park it, they moved in. This year I am going to be like the guy in Caddyshack...
Guitar accessory Musical instrument Musician Music String instrument

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
my winter storage is, car cover on when Im done for the day and car cover off the next day for a ride....unless I give the car the day off.( it's my only car untill the coupe is finished., the wife has a new truck) the bug is sold.
If I lived in ABQ I would probably not put the car up for the winter. But up here in the mountains I'll see 5-6 feet of snow this winter and I work 5-6 days a week. It makes more sense to put it in hibernation. Besides, I only have space for two vehicles in the carport where I won't have to scrape frost or snow off my truck every morning, so my wife's car and the truck get those spaces. A friend down the road lets me put the Sol in his cement floor workshop during the winter where it's plugged into a battery tender and less likely to see rodent activity.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Exhaust hangar removal:
Little tip for next time around

Windex brand glass cleaner and a pair of channel locks. Pops them off and on easy as easy can be.
This is a GREAT tip idea. I had a terrific hassle when dropping the exhaust to install a hitch. Tried levering/pulling/lubricating... boy what a pain. Using channel locks is like a shade-tree mechanic's version of the proper hangar-removal pliers (which I don't have). I will definitely try this next time I have to pop them.

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Exhaust hangar removal:

This is a GREAT tip idea. I had a terrific hassle when dropping the exhaust to install a hitch. Tried levering/pulling/lubricating... boy what a pain. Using channel locks is like a shade-tree mechanic's version of the proper hangar-removal pliers (which I don't have). I will definitely try this next time I have to pop them.
I didn't follow the channel locks tip first time around when KG suggested due to thinking I didn't own a pair of channel locks. It was a pain to do.
Yesterday I realized i do own a pair of channel locks :ROFLMAO: (it was hidden in the tool trolley I scored at auction last year) ... had to take off just one of the mounts and it was a breeze to do. No windex needed (we don't have that brand over here anyway and, per KG, only the genuine windex works). SO. MUCH. EASIER. Made it seem that last time when undoing all 4 mounts took me more than 2 hours I might as well have been trying with my head up my *rse... Thanks KG

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,775 Posts
Other brands of glass cleaner do work. It's just that Windex works the best. Also the other reason why they came off so easy is because you just had them undone. Had you not just recently undone them you would have been fighting with the channel locks a bit. not as bad as your first go around I am sure but not as easy as the second go around. If you have glass cleaner then use it. you can push the mounts back on by hand if you use glass cleaner.

The other thing that glass cleaner is excellent for is quieting down a squeaky suspension bushing. at the very least it will help you identify which one you need to replace if the squeak doesn't go away permanently. you have to Jounce the car after spraying to get the glass cleaner to work it's way into the bushing.

The channel locks do work and the glass cleaner just makes it a whole lot easier to get them off and then back on again.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
to add to that the glass cleaner or soap will dry with no il affects, oils or wd40 type sprays can affect the rubber as well as attract dirt&grime. never use petroleum products/sprays near any polyurethane items as it can degrade them to the point of crumbling.there are special lubes for them. the ex hangers on my coupe were possiably the hardest to remove that Ive ever done in my 50+ years of working on cars. with that said it had a jeep muffler on it so the hangers were not the gm ones unless they cut them off and rewelded them on the crap they put on.,yup I need a oe exhaust for it from the resonator back.

3301 - 3320 of 3345 Posts