Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
3321 - 3340 of 3345 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
to add to that the glass cleaner or soap will dry with no il affects, oils or wd40 type sprays can affect the rubber as well as attract dirt&grime. never use petroleum products/sprays near any polyurethane items as it can degrade them to the point of crumbling.there are special lubes for them. the ex hangers on my coupe were possiably the hardest to remove that Ive ever done in my 50+ years of working on cars. with that said it had a jeep muffler on it so the hangers were not the gm ones unless they cut them off and rewelded them on the crap they put on.,yup I need a oe exhaust for it from the resonator back.
Just keep it muffler-less! Oh the glorious sound. haha

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
265 Posts
I'm in the process of changing to dual exhaust.
After work today I disconnected the muffler hangers from the rubbers.
Having the right tool and using Windex for lube made it a 10 minute job.
I do believe I will have to temporarily remove the hitch to get the dual exhaust hooked on the rubbers though.
Exhaust hanger tool by jon72vega, on Flickr
Muffler disconnected by jon72vega, on Flickr

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,775 Posts
I thought I read on the forum that the hitch will not fit with the duial exhaust without having to modify either the hitch or the exhaust.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I still cannot get over how large that muffler is. It boggles my mind. The one on my MKZ is almost twice the size and the car is a V6.

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
End all, be all: Curt Trailer Hitch (and accessories) Thread | Pontiac Solstice Forum

Having installed several hitches, the only mods I have ever had to make is slightly moving one of the muffler hangers to get more clearance between the hitch and the muffler hanger. Like half an inch. If you get a hitch designed for the car, they generally fit very well.

The issue is the receiver is low and will drag when going over speed bumps or driveway entrances. it can be annoying when at speed the rear tires are partially unloaded.

"New Draw-Tite GXP trailer hitch

I'm a designer for Cequent Towing, Draw-Tite, Reese Hidden Hitch etc... I've just completed a new hitch that will fit the GXP dual tailpipe without modifying, (cutting) the hitch brackets, (like on the Curt hitch).

It is a strong hitch with a thicker frame bracket on the driver's side and reinforcement bars that was tested as designed, (unlike the modified Curt hitch).

The Draw-Tite part number is 24833. It should be available sometime in February 2009. Includes ball mount and pin and clip.

Call your local hitch dealer and ask for it.

Sincerely,
Lynn "
:)

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
My personal choice for removing hangers (rubber) is a long, robust screwdriver that makes a great pry bar. Can generally pop them off with little effort.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well it actually occurred on the last nice 70F sunny day here in S/E Michigan 10NOV22. I took the Mallett out for one last topless cruise after work, filled it up with gas and added Stabil to the tank, then on the way home I was bumped by a driver that did not understand roundabouts. It could have been worse slight damage in front of the passenger side wheel well, the door only has a scuff that should actually just buff out, and the hard to find S/E wheel also is just scuffed from the 20 year old Honda Accord Coupe that hit me.
As a side note not only did I get to meet a Nice Pittsfield Township officer at the time of the accident (also a car guy that asked all kinda questions about the V8 in the car.) I also yesterday got to meet a very nice Plymouth Township officer that asked to look at the car for possible damage from a fatal hit and run in our area a few weeks ago. I moved up to the top of the Solstice inspection list due to the Insurance claim I made a couple of days after the hit and run. He asked for a ride in the car this spring, I told him sure as long as he left his ticket book at home! ;)
The damage to the wheel is hard to see in the photo so I circled it. She got all but 1 spoke of the S/E wheel and a bit of the bead area. It should be good as new by spring. I hope!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
265 Posts
Well it actually occurred on the last nice 70F sunny day here in S/E Michigan 10NOV22. I took the Mallett out for one last topless cruise after work, filled it up with gas and added Stabil to the tank, then on the way home I was bumped by a driver that did not understand roundabouts. It could have been worse slight damage in front of the passenger side wheel well, the door only has a scuff that should actually just buff out, and the hard to find S/E wheel also is just scuffed from the 20 year old Honda Accord Coupe that hit me.
As a side note not only did I get to meet a Nice Pittsfield Township officer at the time of the accident (also a car guy that asked all kinda questions about the V8 in the car.) I also yesterday got to meet a very nice Plymouth Township officer that asked to look at the car for possible damage from a fatal hit and run in our area a few weeks ago. I moved up to the top of the Solstice inspection list due to the Insurance claim I made a couple of days after the hit and run. He asked for a ride in the car this spring, I told him sure as long as he left his ticket book at home! ;)
The damage to the wheel is hard to see in the photo so I circled it. She got all but 1 spoke of the S/E wheel and a bit of the bead area. It should be good as new by spring. I hope!
View attachment 125999
View attachment 126000
Holy sh!#.
Glad it’s only minor, and that you weren’t injured.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
there is a place in Colorado called Spec Wheel that can get that wheel all fixed up for ya. I had them fix one of the wheels on my Lincoln. They straightened it and heat treated it to get its strength back. They also do refinishing as well.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Holy sh!#.
Glad it’s only minor, and that you weren’t injured.
Thanks Jon! She actually did spin me around in the 2 lane roundabout, I got lucky not to get hit by another driver from behind, or to hit a curb during the spin. There was deffinatly no driving skill of mine that kept me away from further damage.

• Wow

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,581 Posts
Replaced the 1” Braum Spacers on my Braum Orue seats with Tanks adjustable risers. The Braum’s were just 1” aluminum spacers as in the second photo.
Very happy with the improvement.

had some extra time and finally kilmatted the inside of the doors. Now they shut with a proper thunk and the resonance has been cut down drastically. Also happy with that improvement :)

now if i hadnt drilled into my finger tip this would have been a near perfect day.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Bag Hood
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Light

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Just a random garage pic. It is 25F outside but the wood stove is lit up here in Vermont. Just some cleaning and polishing going on. Also reworking the rear valence on the Challenger.
I would love to spend the winter in a heated garage just putzing with my cars and bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Heated garage sounds way better than an unheated one. I ended up doing Cayenne brakes in the driveway yesterday because the garage was colder, though it was mid 40s yesterday...

Side note, has anyone else notice that 40s in March is much warmer than 40s in November?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Just a random garage pic. It is 25F outside but the wood stove is lit up here in Vermont. Just some cleaning and polishing going on. Also reworking the rear valence on the Challenger.
I miss my wood stove in my pole barn. Homeowners insurance wouldn't cover it unless I did not store any flammable content in the barn. You know, stuff like gasoline, paint, oil . . . the kind of stuff you build a pole barn to store!

I have a big propane heater I bought for a song off of a relative and it's nice to be able to flip a switch and get heat. I miss the "ritual" of loading and lighting a charge in the stove while I plowed snow on a Saturday morning. Re-loading it a time or two during the plowing and then settling in for an afternoon of puttering with whatever needed to be puttered with.

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
Removed the front end, repaired the inner fender, realigned the bumper cover and generally had fun working with 3m repair products.

I put a "how to" with materials and video here
Punisher | Page 177 | Pontiac Solstice Forum

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Rolling
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fender Tire Material property
Hood Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Automotive design

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,564 Posts
Heated garage sounds way better than an unheated one. I ended up doing Cayenne brakes in the driveway yesterday because the garage was colder, though it was mid 40s yesterday...

Side note, has anyone else notice that 40s in March is much warmer than 40s in November?
when I built my garage (24'x34') I fully insulated it, fully sheet rockerd, bathroom, kitchen, filtered blasting room, engine room& the rest of the shop, all with central AC&heat that was a old take out my brother gave me.runs very little in the summer or winter.even with the 16' garage door. thats also insulated and has windows. radiant barrier on the rafters. but even a small garage can be insulated good and a small heater&ac unit for not a lot of $.unseen air leeks and the worst heat gain/loss places. even the holes where any wiring comes through the studs/topplates&walls. I wish i had built my home my self. but I have dome massive upgrades and addtions.that have cut the heating&cooling massivly. dont let the cold gaage keep you from working in it, just fix it first. my 2 story 11x16 barn just has a 5000 btu windo unit in it( built in,no wondow)and a small 1500 watt heater to keep it cool&warm,the heater stays on low in the winter to kep any paint from freezen. the ac inthe summer to keep mold/ rust/mildew &whatever away when im not in there it's on low to do it's job,i crank it up when im in there.

3321 - 3340 of 3345 Posts