Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1721 - 1725 of 1725 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
you lucky chicken....
Well I had enough of the rear end clunk...I had already checked the back lash in the rear... well sort of. its more that Ive ever seen before and still operational quietly.with no leeks.. so I have a used unit comming off flebay,Ill check it out & put it in, possiably put a set of clutches in it and seals. then pull the old one appart & see whats up. the service reckords show something was done at a dealer...what who knows, just seal mod? or...more? or did the moron just hold the massive impact gun on the pinion nut and squash the **** to death.... I dont know if the pinion on these rears have a crush spacer or shimmed for bearing preload. or it just may have way too much pinion depth shim in it.... either way it's gotta come out and since it's my only car....I need to have one ready to go right back in for no down time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After days of overcast and rain the Sun came out today and it hit about 65 degrees. It was time for a cruise! I hit the back roads, cruising along listening to Aqualung on XM, stereo cranked to 11 and having a good ride. Then over a hill came a State Trooper. My passenger, being the friendly guy he is, waved at him as we passed - and the blue lights came on. I knew I was pushing it - and guilty as hell. I backed it down, came to a stop, then backed off the road and into some guy's yard, shut the engine down... and waited.

The Trooper car pulled up behind me and I'm checking my driver side rear mirror. I see a middle-aged chubby Trooper (Jabba The Hut kind of guy) sitting in the seat. The scowl on his face said, "I'm gonna stick it to ya just because I can." I didn't realize he was a passenger until I spotted another Trooper putting his hand print on the back of my car and walking up to my window.

He stood behind my window. I never saw his face. "How you doing today?" he asked. "Fine, sir," I said. "How are you?" I handed him my driver's license. "Doing good," he said, "Doing good." Then he got to the point... "65 in a 45." "I apologize, sir. We're just out for an afternoon drive."

"Well, I'll tell you what. Slow it down for me," he said, handing my license back. "Yes, sir. Thank you, sir, " I said. I buckled up, cranked the Solstice and continued my cruise.

Maybe it was my passenger's friendly wave, or maybe it was the fact I stopped, pulled off the road and waited for him that got me off without even a warning ticket. But what I really believe is Jabba The Hut was some kind of Trooper dignitary the road Trooper was taking somewhere, and since I wasn't a problem he had to chase down, he let me go because he had more pressing business elsewhere.

Either way, I was a Happy (lucky) Camper! He could have stuck me bad.........

View attachment 106684
How old are you? I've found a few gray hairs can help get you a "warning".

1721 - 1725 of 1725 Posts