Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 1816 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
you lucky chicken....
Well I had enough of the rear end clunk...I had already checked the back lash in the rear... well sort of. its more that Ive ever seen before and still operational quietly.with no leeks.. so I have a used unit comming off flebay,Ill check it out & put it in, possiably put a set of clutches in it and seals. then pull the old one appart & see whats up. the service reckords show something was done at a dealer...what who knows, just seal mod? or...more? or did the moron just hold the massive impact gun on the pinion nut and squash the **** to death.... I dont know if the pinion on these rears have a crush spacer or shimmed for bearing preload. or it just may have way too much pinion depth shim in it.... either way it's gotta come out and since it's my only car....I need to have one ready to go right back in for no down time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
After days of overcast and rain the Sun came out today and it hit about 65 degrees. It was time for a cruise! I hit the back roads, cruising along listening to Aqualung on XM, stereo cranked to 11 and having a good ride. Then over a hill came a State Trooper. My passenger, being the friendly guy he is, waved at him as we passed - and the blue lights came on. I knew I was pushing it - and guilty as hell. I backed it down, came to a stop, then backed off the road and into some guy's yard, shut the engine down... and waited.

The Trooper car pulled up behind me and I'm checking my driver side rear mirror. I see a middle-aged chubby Trooper (Jabba The Hut kind of guy) sitting in the seat. The scowl on his face said, "I'm gonna stick it to ya just because I can." I didn't realize he was a passenger until I spotted another Trooper putting his hand print on the back of my car and walking up to my window.

He stood behind my window. I never saw his face. "How you doing today?" he asked. "Fine, sir," I said. "How are you?" I handed him my driver's license. "Doing good," he said, "Doing good." Then he got to the point... "65 in a 45." "I apologize, sir. We're just out for an afternoon drive."

"Well, I'll tell you what. Slow it down for me," he said, handing my license back. "Yes, sir. Thank you, sir, " I said. I buckled up, cranked the Solstice and continued my cruise.

Maybe it was my passenger's friendly wave, or maybe it was the fact I stopped, pulled off the road and waited for him that got me off without even a warning ticket. But what I really believe is Jabba The Hut was some kind of Trooper dignitary the road Trooper was taking somewhere, and since I wasn't a problem he had to chase down, he let me go because he had more pressing business elsewhere.

Either way, I was a Happy (lucky) Camper! He could have stuck me bad.........

View attachment 106684
How old are you? I've found a few gray hairs can help get you a "warning".

·
Registered
243 Posts
You know I just realized that without that STUPID excessive stock air intake design there is PLENTY of space to put the battery in a easily accessible area!

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Solstice gets pulled up to the front of it's garage bay and my quad (with the snow plow) gets parked behind it, blade to the door, for when it's time for snow "moval". (I don't call it "removal" because I'm only going to move it once if I do it right.)

Wanting to keep as much heat in the garage at 5 a.m. as I can, I slip the car cover up to get the garage remote out of the Sol so I can close it behind me when I take the quad out to plow.

I see the paint is still looking good, and OMG! The top looks GREAT! Oh, wait, we replaced the top last summer. But DAMN that looks great! Okay, okay, get the remote, close the door and pull the cover down. Don't say a DAMNED word about this to the wife or she'll get twice as nutty as I just did . . .

Feb 6.

I'm thinking we're about 6-7 weeks out before the first "run".

·
Registered
266 Posts
Solstice gets pulled up to the front of it's garage bay and my quad (with the snow plow) gets parked behind it, blade to the door, for when it's time for snow "moval". (I don't call it "removal" because I'm only going to move it once if I do it right.)

Wanting to keep as much heat in the garage at 5 a.m. as I can, I slip the car cover up to get the garage remote out of the Sol so I can close it behind me when I take the quad out to plow.

I see the paint is still looking good, and OMG! The top looks GREAT! Oh, wait, we replaced the top last summer. But DAMN that looks great! Okay, okay, get the remote, close the door and pull the cover down. Don't say a DAMNED word about this to the wife or she'll get twice as nutty as I just did . . .

Feb 6.

I'm thinking we're about 6-7 weeks out before the first "run".
congrats and good to hear on the new top. I was starting to worry about replacing things like that and mine is starting to look worn.

·
Registered
243 Posts
HEY CHICKEN........Where did u get the top from and how much did it run you if you don't mind me asking......installed??

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Thread below was made a "sticky" by the administrators as this becomes a more frequent question due to the age of our vehicles:

·
Registered
548 Posts
well i went for a nice ride today after I put CAI style tubing from the TB to the reworked oe air box. I did it on a known route that I take 2 times a month. the best mpg on that route( combined city.hills,highway, parking lots) well it was getting around 23.8-24.1 going by the thingy on the dash. today after the removal of the oe motorcross corse intake hose crap&muffler. it got 26.1 I doubt it's a 2mpg gain but, it could possiably be 1.5 on that route I go on. and it's only about 10 miles on the highway. every little bit helps. or possiably it wasent that mod it could of been the touch up paint on the 5 spots I did......it was after all fast dry paint... ? other than that...I uncovered it and then recovered it when I got home. that 26 is sure better than the 19 it was getting when I bought it.it should do good on long highway runs...if I ever get to.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac Solstice, 2.4L base model.
73 Posts
We're still in hibernation mode up here in Northwest Minnesota. Working on changing out speakers and adding a powered sub before Spring gets here. Was kind of a chilly day up here if you were in the wind.

temp.jpg

·
Registered
436 Posts
I picked up my car from Lingefelter Performance after they were able to get my Cruise Control to work in 6th gear, Should make the drive to the Nationals much easier in June!

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Thought about it!
On vacation in Hawaii. Been here for a week already. Today, on a cruise around Kauai (in a

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I'm using my wife's laptop and it doesn't like me. What I was trying to say was that while driving out rental Camaro I met a black Solstice on a back winding road. First sign of life here.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Beautiful sunny day here in the Dallas area ... but my Sol is in the shop getting the last of the hail dings from last March removed. Should be back on the road by the end of the week. Just in time for the rain ...

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I put a set of Philips +60 headlight bulbs in. I have a three-piece horn set to install but it is going to take some time to figure out mounting that does not interfere with the hood.

1721 - 1740 of 1816 Posts