Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1861 - 1879 of 1879 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looks good, showtime! That might be an option for my goal of putting the metal dash pattern from a mid-70s Firebird on my Solstice.
There are many patterns available for the film including metal plus the option of a custom pattern

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I avoided being hit while in my GXP twice today. The pandemic hasn't done much for people's ability to look where they are going.

Both SUVs, both driven by people who change lanes without looking anywhere but straight ahead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I avoided being hit while in my GXP twice today. The pandemic hasn't done much for people's ability to look where they are going.

Both SUVs, both driven by people who change lanes without looking anywhere but straight ahead.
I actually think it’s made people worse. Stir crazy people and open roads don’t necessarily mix.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
With the help of Rob the Elder, changed my differential fluid. Car has 130K on it and it might have been the first time it was done! Also replaced the serpentine belts.

·
Registered
610 Posts
yesterday..was going to take wife for dinner and a ride.... but first!! I had to pour my 32 oz diet mt dew on my solstice top&trunk.....Im sure glad I detailed a few weeks ago and it's been sitting ever since under the cover under the car port...it all rinsed right off quickly. the rest of the ride was uneventful.

·
Registered
610 Posts
as for the morons driving suvs.....Im in florida...a tourist location at the beach....snow white powder sand beaches... where every 1-~15th license plate is a local.... we deal with those morons every day...but yes there worse now.and thanks to them our virus infection rate since reopening the beaches/hotels went from 2 a day to almost 60 a day.....in about 2 weeks.you cant fix stupid. you can fix ugly, you can fix fat.but you cant fix stupid. and stupid does like to go on vacation with it's host.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Finally got my ssbc brakes installed, my hydraulic lube got lost in the mail 🙄
It seems when ssbc made the kit they used cobra rotors but milled the hub opening to use a larger hub centric ring. Didn't notice that when i bought the rotors so had to improvise a bit. The solstice hub was 1mm smaller so i made a ring from 0.5mm thick flashing, fits perfectly now.
When i started to bed them in the brakes were smoking like crazy, thought they were on fire, but after a dozen or so hard stops they stopped smoking 😅
Now i can lock up there front wheels with ease, stock setup couldn't do that at all.
Now i just have to rebuild the rear caliper.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Wash at 6:30am, took it for an hour ride on back roads. The only good thing about the COVID is that there's less people on the road. I had it all to myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Changed the oil for the first time since ownership (oil was changed, but it sat for a long time before driving, so I did it just to be safe) Thursday night, and greased the top, and seals. Learned a few things, I'm still not sure on the jack points/jack stand points, so I used a friend's ramps. I have the jack/lift point PDF that shows what to do, but I need those kind of things explained to me like I'm 6. Had an accident with putting a jack stand in the wrong spot, and wrecked part of my Jeep Grand Cherokee's suspension and am skittish. The oil drain plug was really torqued up. Found it easier to get at the drain pug from the front of the car. Had to go to 2 hardware/auto parts store before I found a low profile enough 32MM socket to open up the filter casing, put i have it now.

When I crawled under the car, the fact that it was sitting in a barn/garage in the country and not driven in a long while - while the mechanic I had cleaned out some of the stuff in the engine bay and checked for signs of electrical wires/cords being chewed on (saw nothing) there were still some nooks and crannies filled with crap. So I gave the engine bay a nice cleaning....not total, will de-grease and stuff soon, just got the air compressor out and blew out the thing. The mechanic friend theorized something nested in there as he pulled out a lot of crap from just under the engine cover, but the cables into the coil packs were fine. Will probably replace soon anyway.

Used dialect grease on the top sliding pieces and seals.

Friday - Sunday I needed to be in about 5 places at the same time, so I put 700 miles on my GXP. Drove from Mid-Michigan to Flint, Michigan for a funeral, gave my dad a ride (Dad is a 40+ year GM retiree who had a heart attack that lead to a TBI and he isn't always in the moment anymore. Got on US23 and floored it...saw a big smile). Then quickly raced down to Kalamazoo on Saturday morning for my son's baseball tournament. After two games on Saturday, I drove over to lake Michigan (South Haven) to finish the weekend/memorial, and then back to Kalamazoo on Sunday to finish the tournament before back home Sunday afternoon to Mid-Michigan. Most with the top down and the sun out. I was nice. Kept an eye on the temp because this forum has me a little worried about the water pump as I approach 40K mile, and it never got above 204 degrees and usually sat 194-199 degrees or so. So I was happy about that (not that I've had any sign of failure...it's just the car is new to me) .

HOWEVER, at my aunt's hose on the lake, I was chit chatting and trying to unload the truck my wife and kids were driving (they didn't go to the funeral so we had 2 cars) and get everything set...and I put the keys in the solstice to put up the windows....left the car in accessory overnight and the relatively new batter was run down, keys's stuck in the ignition.

My aunt had a battery jump starter/tender for her boat, (a Diehard machine that worked really well, I'm going to have to get one - any suggestions?) and hooked that up, and left it on it for 30 minutes or so....until it had enough juice to, first, pull the key out, and 2nd start the engine before driving to Kalamazoo. Worked well, and everything seems to be working fine....didn't have to have anything reprogrammed outside the time on the clock.

So all and all, my first weekend was fine. The car is dirty, but otherwise running great...and not the worst place in the world to spend 7 or so hours in this weekend. I think I'm going to have to add a lumbar support bag to the seat though, as that was the only real part of my body that had issue after 4-5 hours. I think that, the rear deck spring (my trunk does stick sometimes when popped) and the fastener in the trunk liner to keep the corners of the top from rubbing mods, along with a full exterior wash, and on my list for this week.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Busy weekend Mad - but your weather was perfect. (Wife and I were in Saugatuck for the weekend!)

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I'm still not sure on the jack points/jack stand points, ...
Look for oval holes underneath in the frame close to the body panels. One near the front edge of the door and one near the rear of the door (closer to the rear axle). They are about the size of your thumb. Jack there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Look for oval holes underneath in the frame close to the body panels. One near the front edge of the door and one near the rear of the door (closer to the rear axle). They are about the size of your thumb. Jack there.
That's what I thought for the jacking...but where do the jack stands go?

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
That's what I thought for the jacking...but where do the jack stands go?
You can use the rearmost oval opening for a jacking point but not the one near the front. If you use that one you will crush the rocker panel. Use the search feature and search under JACKING POINTS. you will find pictures of where to jack the car.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
You can use the rearmost oval opening for a jacking point but not the one near the front. If you use that one you will crush the rocker panel.
Unless you have lifting pucks. Then you can jack there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, that's a good photo...Is there a photo anywhere that shows where I can jack up the car in the front, and place a jack stand though? The photo show jack stand on the rear, and jacking in the front, but where do I put the stand before I remove the jack in the front?

So I use the jack in that area near the front with the 2 ovals...to raise the car...where do I put the stand? The drawing with the lined out boxes wasn't much of a help for me - I prefer the photos.

I'm sorry, Like I said, I'm skittish after an accident, and I want to be 100% sure for the next time I need to jack the car up.

1861 - 1879 of 1879 Posts