Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my $500 down the first week of May. My dear dealer cannot even tell me whether I'm in the EOP program--and my salesman isn't sure whether I'm #9, #8 or #7 in line at this mid-sized dealership. Since I did everything by fax & phone, all I have is a fax purportedly entering my specific order with the factory. Price? Well, let's just say I have a "verbal promise" (read: unenforceable) to sell it to me for MSRP--that is, the MSRP that exists when it is delivered, just in case it changes this century. Of course, the salesman has "absolutely no idea when it will be delivered, but probably after Christmas." Needless to say, nobody seems to be too excited about talking long on the phone--I imagine it would be a different story if this were a G6 order. Are others out there experiencing this? How can you tell by looking at the order whether this qualifies as a EOP?

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you ordered in May, you are not in the EOP. That propgram expired in April. I can't recall the exact date. I'm thinking it was 4/24/05.

Plus in order to participate in the program you had to register on line on the Pontiac website and receive a unique ID number, take that to your dealer along with a copy of your drivers license and have the dealer place the order with that unique ID number. Most people also had to put down a nominal down payment. In my case it was $500.00.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Hi Solace, based on your order date of May you are not EOP (first 1000). That program took orders for 41 minutes on 4/15 only.

That's makes you "normal dealer allocation". Your place in line is controlled by how the dealer prioritzes their own list of orders. Someone who handles the orders at that dealer knows the order priority. You might just need to hunt around as to who that is (sales mgr, GM, etc)

I would visit them in person instead of phone calls and ask to know exactly where you stand and the status of your order. You may need to speak to someone higher up to get the status because don't think many of the floor sales guys can lookup and order in VOMS (vehicle order management system).

·
Registered
976 Posts
Going over your salesguys head....

Just thought I would mention that while sales people may not be able to look at your VOMS order and such, they should still be your Dealership contact, unless they just don't act like they care about your business... In which case, yes go straight to their manager.... Really unless your order has been picked up by the system, there isn't much that even the owner can tell you.... Small dealer, any input?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, MCEB...unfortunately, I'm stationed out of my home state, so it's not too easy to visit the dealer...my biggest frustration is that I had asked two home dealerships to contact me by email as soon as orders were going to be taken--then the whole Apprentice thing blew that strategy up. Despite following the Solstice project since inception, duty called me overseas and no e-mails were ever sent. My order was finally placed the last week in April, and my $500 check was cashed the first week in May.

·
Registered
62 Posts
mceb said:
Hi Solace, based on your order date of May you are not EOP (first 1000). That program took orders for 41 minutes on 4/15 only.

That's makes you "normal dealer allocation". Your place in line is controlled by how the dealer prioritzes their own list of orders. Someone who handles the orders at that dealer knows the order priority. You might just need to hunt around as to who that is (sales mgr, GM, etc)

I would visit them in person instead of phone calls and ask to know exactly where you stand and the status of your order. You may need to speak to someone higher up to get the status because don't think many of the floor sales guys can lookup and order in VOMS (vehicle order management system).
While you are correct that the first 1000 Solstice orders sold out on the first day, the EOP program extended beyond April 15th. Those that were not lucky enough to be one of the first 1000 are part of the EOP if they got their order in by 4/24/05. So far the only benefit I've derived though from being part of the EOP has been a couple of letters from GM and a hat.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Solace said:
I put my $500 down the first week of May. My dear dealer cannot even tell me whether I'm in the EOP program--and my salesman isn't sure whether I'm #9, #8 or #7 in line at this mid-sized dealership. Since I did everything by fax & phone, all I have is a fax purportedly entering my specific order with the factory. Price? Well, let's just say I have a "verbal promise" (read: unenforceable) to sell it to me for MSRP--that is, the MSRP that exists when it is delivered, just in case it changes this century. Of course, the salesman has "absolutely no idea when it will be delivered, but probably after Christmas." Needless to say, nobody seems to be too excited about talking long on the phone--I imagine it would be a different story if this were a G6 order. Are others out there experiencing this? How can you tell by looking at the order whether this qualifies as a EOP?
while my salesman if helpful..it is the sales manager at my dealership who as access to the VOM....find out who he is and deal directly with him...have your VOMS number handy and he can look it up directly and give you status...he should also be able to tell you what the dealerships first four month allocation is.....

I have a signed sales contract with all my options priced out...delivery out the door.....ask the sales manager for the same...do you have anything other than a cancelled check for the deposit?....My dealer didnt even cash the check..just held it pending the delivery of the car...whenever that might be....he still thinks mine will be the end of Oct early Nov......be upfront with the sales manager and ask for that contract since the dealership has cashed that deposit check!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Ok, didn't know you were out of town.

Little tougher to get their attention via e-mail but might give that a shot? If you phone might have to find that magic person at the dealership who knows the order process.

I'd ask pointed questions about the status of your order. What number priority am I (7 out of 10 for example) and if your order has been "picked up" yet within the system (it sits in dealer's pool until then).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Solace,
Given your situation, I'd forward your email to GM, perhaps one of the other forum members (SmallDealer?) could give you the appropriate email address. I know personally the kinds of sacrifices you are making. Perhaps, given the your situation and the problems with the dealerships, GM/Pontiac could cut you a little slack. Not 1st 1000, but something that may coincide with when you return. A little good publicity for them and a good deal for you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good tips from all of you. I'll do my best to get the sales manager on the horn (curiously, they don't list e-mail addresses on their website). BTW, I don't want to you to think I'm in a war zone--I'm stationed on the west coast (OK, some parts are a war zone)...however, I was on assignment out of the country for much of March and April.

As far as an agreement, what I have is a two page "GM AutoBook" "Window Sticker" fax for a "Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible 2MB67" that details my order--the dealer initialed it and had me do the same. However, the MSRP for the car and options all are listed as "W/A." Hopefully the dealer is listening to Detroit and won't gouge this sailor. They cashed the $500 deposit check.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Solace said:
Good tips from all of you. I'll do my best to get the sales manager on the horn (curiously, they don't list e-mail addresses on their website). BTW, I don't want to you to think I'm in a war zone--I'm stationed on the west coast (OK, some parts are a war zone)...however, I was on assignment out of the country for much of March and April.

As far as an agreement, what I have is a two page "GM AutoBook" "Window Sticker" fax for a "Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible 2MB67" that details my order--the dealer initialed it and had me do the same. However, the MSRP for the car and options all are listed as "W/A." Hopefully the dealer is listening to Detroit and won't gouge this sailor. They cashed the $500 deposit check.
I would call the dealer and request a buyers guide, or purchase order be faxed to me with the price on the car. when you order a vehicle from GM, your vehicle is price protected, so there can't be a cost increase after you agree to a price with a dealer. And I am sorry if this sounds rude... Trust me, coming from me(GM dealer in missouri)is even worse.... But never "take their word for it".... In the hustle and bustle of the sales industry their are definitely cutthroats, and signing to buy a car with no written agreement, is just insane!!!!! ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING!!!!!!

Most importantly though, in regards to your contact with the dealer, "you catch more flies with honey...."

·
Registered
79 Posts
SolGeezer said:
While you are correct that the first 1000 Solstice orders sold out on the first day, the EOP program extended beyond April 15th. Those that were not lucky enough to be one of the first 1000 are part of the EOP if they got their order in by 4/24/05. So far the only benefit I've derived though from being part of the EOP has been a couple of letters from GM and a hat.
Solace, I have experienced about the same reaction from my dealer. I placed my order on 4/16 and have been back three times since then to ask about my order. As soon as I mention Solstice, it's like I have the plague. It's almost funny to see a car salesman turn away from a customer that quickly. I've never quite experienced that type of reaction from them before. And as for the two letters and hat SolGeezer mentions, I have seen none of that either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Solace said:
They cashed the $500 deposit check.
I didn't think the could cash the $500 check that far before your car has even been built or put into the production system, it doesn't seem right to me. I know my dealer took a $1k deposit but hasn't cashed it yet. He said he would cash it when he gets the VIN #.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
I didn't think the could cash the $500 check that far before your car has even been built or put into the production system, it doesn't seem right to me. I know my dealer took a $1k deposit but hasn't cashed it yet. He said he would cash it when he gets the VIN #.
My dealer cashed my check right away. I don't think it's all that unusual. Makes no sense to keep uncashed checks around.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Editguy said:
My dealer cashed my check right away. I don't think it's all that unusual. Makes no sense to keep uncashed checks around.
Depends on the dealer. I have gone in to finalize deals and the deposit check is there, pinned to the top of the paperwork.

Solace: the dealer has to have a printout available of all cars he has placed orders on whether picked up by GM or not, with even just basic info as RPO codes etc. At the very least he should be able to give you a copy of one of their weekly printouts with YOUR CAR singled out "with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one..."

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
achieftain said:
Depends on the dealer. I have gone in to finalize deals and the deposit check is there, pinned to the top of the paperwork.

Solace: the dealer has to have a printout available of all cars he has placed orders on whether picked up by GM or not, with even just basic info as RPO codes etc. At the very least he should be able to give you a copy of one of their weekly printouts with YOUR CAR singled out "with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one..."
concur. the sales manager at my dealer..gladly printed out and mailed me a copy of the VOMS order he placed for our car....showed all the details..time, place options ordered etc.......

·
Registered
397 Posts
Firebird99 said:
Solace, I have experienced about the same reaction from my dealer. I placed my order on 4/16 and have been back three times since then to ask about my order. As soon as I mention Solstice, it's like I have the plague. It's almost funny to see a car salesman turn away from a customer that quickly. I've never quite experienced that type of reaction from them before. And as for the two letters and hat SolGeezer mentions, I have seen none of that either.
Same here Fb99 - I get the same reaction from my dealer when I go in or call for updates. In fact, they rarely return my calls! :brentil:
I also went in during the EOP (non-1st 1000) and have received nothing also. I gave my salesman my registration number from the website but he didn't seem to know what to do with it.

I think the attitude is:
"We don't know anything about the Solstice and we haven't bothered to learn. So, if you want to give us your money now, that's fine, but don't expect to hear from us until the car comes in! Oh yeah - and don't let the door hit ya' on the way out!"

You'll have to forgive me, I'm still a little angry about the whole thing. I guess it comes down to the fact that some dealerships are great and some are crap - I guess it's just the luck of the draw depending on where you live!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think much of the confusion has to do with fact most of the normal sales come from the dealer's lot (inventory). Someone correct me if I'm wrong but most of the new car sales are not special orders, right?

Since right now all Solstices are special orders it probably puts a strain on the sales guys because they aren't normally in the business of checking statuses. Some don't care, others don't know how. Cars are probably ordered by someone else at the dealer and sales guys just sell 'em when they come in.

It is frustrating, trust me I've experienced it too but that's the way I explain it to myself.

My dealer jokes at how much more I know then they do.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My dealer is kind of middle of the road.

But they keep telling me it is great I can get info off the internet, because
GM is keeping them in the dark. Wonderful, NOT!!!!!!!!!! :(

But what I have found is I figured out my sales person's email directly
and send periodic emails. She has been good about sending reply's and has sent some info.

Main approach I use is be nice, no matter how stupid they are, you will catch
more flys with sugar.

If I don't get a call this week I will bug them again, since friday seems to be an update day for GM.

Code 3400 7/28 -- and waiting!!!!!!!!! :yawn:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
mceb said:
I think much of the confusion has to do with fact most of the normal sales come from the dealer's lot (inventory). Someone correct me if I'm wrong but most of the new car sales are not special orders, right?

Since right now all Solstices are special orders it probably puts a strain on the sales guys because they aren't normally in the business of checking statuses. Some don't care, others don't know how. Cars are probably ordered by someone else at the dealer and sales guys just sell 'em when they come in.

It is frustrating, trust me I've experienced it too but that's the way I explain it to myself.

My dealer jokes at how much more I know then they do.
I think you are exactly right. This is basically uncharted territory for most of these people.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts