Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight im a bit of a Audio Freak and i really dont feel like sacrificing alot of sound when i buy my new car. I hear that its only 1.4 cubes of space in the Back when the top is down which would be the max amount of room that i could work with when molding a sub box back there. Now based on any information anyone has do you think that it may be possible to drop 2 10" subs in there or even 1 10" sub. I was thinking of going the storage route and utilizing that area but i have no idea of the behind the seat storage room. Does anyone know this? Also do you think that there may be a hard top option in late 2006?

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you want subs, you better mold them to the humps in the back. There is no room, its a roadster! Plus it just weighs it down.

Come up with something creative and let us all in on it.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
The stock sub on the Upgraded Monsoon System fits behind the Passenger seat, with that being said there may be some room to play with there. also as for the trunk space, the only availabe space is towards the rear of the car and the only thing I can think of with that configuration would be to put an 8" sub with the box ported directly into the Cab of the car via custom port tube's....Let me know what you find out. The stock Monsoon system sounds good but theres allways room for improvment....

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Speedofsound said:
Aight im a bit of a Audio Freak and i really dont feel like sacrificing alot of sound when i buy my new car. I hear that its only 1.4 cubes of space in the Back when the top is down which would be the max amount of room that i could work with when molding a sub box back there. Now based on any information anyone has do you think that it may be possible to drop 2 10" subs in there or even 1 10" sub. I was thinking of going the storage route and utilizing that area but i have no idea of the behind the seat storage room. Does anyone know this? Also do you think that there may be a hard top option in late 2006?
If you saw the trunk, you would know how rediculious that would be.

The best thing to do is see how much room there is behind the passenger... and maybe try and put one behind the driver too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i think i know how i would do it, if i do it i will def send pix, Instead of seeing that ugly hump all the time i would completely fiberglass the entiretrunk up and paint it to match the car (mine hopefully being the dark silver) I think i can pitch the sub or subs either downward toward the back or toward the cab in the trunk where there is no hump the only problem is that i dont know how much room i have to play with over there. As for the Monsoon system. I know exactly how those sound and seriously all the sound of a real sub is going to be lost if the top is down and that is firing into the seat. This will def be a big project for me if i do it, and i really want to do this. I promise though if i get it done u guys will def be the first to either hear or see the car. I just gotta figure out if this car can support excess wiring as well as if the Alternator can handle a lil extra power. Anyone know how big the Amp rating is on the Alternator?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After lookin at the trunk pix a lil more indepth i think there is enough room for 1 12" in a sealed box all the way past the hump but it looks like i might have to take off of the molding and all the trunk lid to get it in there so its gonna be lots of fun. but when its done :) oh yea! bump bump bump. :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Speedofsound said:
Instead of seeing that ugly hump all the time i would completely fiberglass the entiretrunk up and paint it to match the car
What the heck are you talking about? At first I thought you were talking about removing the humps on the decklid, and that would be insanity. Then I realized you meant the hump in the trunk... which is the fuel tank.

So if you want to run your Solstice on an extention cord, be my guest. Your best bet, would be to put the subs behind the passenger and driver... if you get the monsoon, there is already a space for the sub behind the passenger. The amp is behind the driver.

As for the alternator, I have no idea. If you are just running a couple of 10s, and like a 400w amp, you probably won't have to worry about anything. I'd put in a .5-.8 FaH capacitor in the line to be safe. If you're running like 2x12s and 800w... a 1+ FaH, definitely.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The opening behind the passenger seat is there whether you order the sub or not. It just does not have the holes in the trim panel. the driver side has the amp mounted behind the panel and there is no opening in the body. I dont think it would fit behind the seats unless you are 4 ft. tall and have the seats ALL the way forward.
Anything is possible. I have 2 -10" MTX in a sealed box that measures 10 h x 20 w x 10d.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you did not order Monsoon is there any way to use the area where the sub goes behind the pass seat for some type of storage area? I don't have mine yet so I can't look to see myself.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Soldstice 41505 said:
If you did not order Monsoon is there any way to use the area where the sub goes behind the pass seat for some type of storage area? I don't have mine yet so I can't look to see myself.
That's one of the first things I'll be looking into. Without the sub, there is a small cargo net there, and a very shallow scalloped recess. There has to be more room behind the rear bulkhead trim panel. I'll take it apart and post pics of what I find.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Speedofsound said:
subs in the sol?
Saw the tirle and was hungry. A pair of Subway 6 inchers will fit since they are only about 5 inches long. Sorry, couldn't resisit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
LOL @ Marco's post..... :lol: :willy: :lol:

Just the type of Sub/audio system I want to hear driving through the neighborhood at 2am while I'm trying to catch a few zzzzzzzzzzz's... Let alone my car... TOTALY INSAINE!!!! IMO... but I guess opinions are like, well you know everybody has one! GREAT POST MARCO!

·
Registered
90 Posts
OH SUBS... in the Solstice! My Mistake... I'm not planning to eat in my car... but I do like A good Italian Sub... just a little too greasy for the car... LOL.... :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fortimir said:
What the heck are you talking about? At first I thought you were talking about removing the humps on the decklid, and that would be insanity. Then I realized you meant the hump in the trunk... which is the fuel tank.

No what i was saying is not eliminating the hump just Fiberglassing a thin layer over it to make it look sleek and smooth it hopefully wont interrupt the top going down the subs would have to go where the deep part of the trunk is if it could fit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think i just realized something... :nono: I Was looking at Brentil's pictures of his Sol and realized that when the Windo comes down it perfectly rests on that hump or at least that seems to be its intended place of rest. If i were to fiberglass over that even a thin layer i would risk probably the fit of the top coming down, plus i dont feel like doing all that fiberglass work. On the positive side :) I looked at brentil's pic and saw his ease of putting a golf bag back there which means i can def get either 1 10 or 12" or 2 8" in the back and i can put the amp somewhere else.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=820&size=big&sort=2&cat=3012
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/data/3012/48620820617583450-med.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 10'' Eclipse dvc aluminum sub in my Sol and it is in the stock location,
used the stock sub enclosure , cut the front off of it and built a new front out of
fiberglass shaped close to the seat back. Has 600w powering it and sounds great,
very good bass attack even with the top down. New enclosure volume is
about 1 cu. ft. Also have the new Eclipse 3-way components up front.
mids and tweets in the a-piller and the 6 1/2'' in doors, Eclipse EA & XA amps
2-din nav headunit, changer in trunk, Sirius and HD radio, backup camera.........
............will debut at the SEMA show in the ECLIPSE booth.........19'' AXIS wheels
Eibach coil overs, Kappa-sphere exhaust, Dunlop tires , Hahn Racecraft turbo,
SSBC 13'' tri-power brakes.....................................the amps are mounted
behind drivers seat................later RICK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice could i see some pics of the eclipse sub cause i have 2 12" base lines at home and was wondering if i should just sell those and do 1 of the midrange series... please post any install pix if u have them ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts