Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What Do You Love to Hate Most About Your Coupe?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my other Opel car website, I'm the king of poll threads, so let's see if I can get some started here. Often, sites like this have a lot of members, but few who actually make any posts, but as Americans we love to vote for stuff and the silent majority comes out of the woodwork to do simple mouse click voting.

Like many older sports and small cars, our Solstice/Sky/Coupes have all sorts of quirks, bad designs, and other what-were-they-thinking aspects. They piss you off at first, but as the years go by those quirks endear the car to you. I've only had my Coupe for a short time, so I'm probably not aware of all the weirdosities our cars have, so I'm asking you guys to submit some bad design ideas for us to vote on later when I turn this thread into a Poll. I need 10 of the worst, here's what I've noticed so far:

1) Hard to see when backing up
2) Dumbass cup holder
3) Roof too low
4) No place to put the roof
5) Gauges too small to read
6) No place to store anything
7) Can't reach the power window buttons

Got any other ideas I haven't noticed yet?

I'll start another thread/poll on what you like the most about your Coupe later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is directly tied to items 4 & 6 and affects the convertible as well:

8) Location of the fuel tank!

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
1) I'm at a loss for the reason to remove U-Joints from the drive shaft, in favor of ( 2 ) RUBBER RINGS. Knowing owners will increase their Horse Power and traction performances.
2) Location of control switches in door panels.
3) Access to oil filter cap.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Squeaks ! :brentil: I hate them.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I think rear backing vision and definitely design of top Design with lack of storage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No trunk space, bad cup holders, no power roof, awful trunk latch, steering wheel doesn't tilt enough. (I'm 6-2)

I had a few old Cadillacs that you would slowly lower the trunk lid until you heard a click.
Then a motor would tighten the trunk lid into place.

I could use one of those.
I have to slam the lid so hard I'm worried about denting the lid, and even
after I slam it, half the time when I get into the car, the trunk light is on.

While I'm complaining about the trunk, the springs for it suck also.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
No trunk space, bad cup holders, no power roof, awful trunk latch, steering wheel doesn't tilt enough. (I'm 6-2)

I had a few old Cadillacs that you would slowly lower the trunk lid until you heard a click.
Then a motor would tighten the trunk lid into place.

I could use one of those.
I have to slam the lid so hard I'm worried about denting the lid, and even
after I slam it, half the time when I get into the car, the trunk light is on.

While I'm complaining about the trunk, the springs for it suck also.
I thought this thread was about the coupe, you know, that 2009 thing with the hard top . . . . :dunno:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry guys, thought is was just about crappy stuff on a solstice.
Geez, take a pill.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
No big deal, we were just having a bit of fun with you! Not that we've ever commented in a wrong thread or area. Nope, never have we done that . . . ever . . . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm no stickler for thread purity, go ahead and thread drift all you want. As long as it's good friendly conversation that broadens our knowledge horizons and provides entertaining reading, it's a good thing. :)

Many times, stories about the major glitches in other cars puts the minor glitches in our Skies and Solstii into perspective and they don't seem like such a big deal. :)

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
With all there imperfections noted, I will never part with mine until we are mandated to have auto steer installed. They are beautiful cars and I'd only trade for a Cobra Daytona.
With that impossibility stated my son will inherit my Solstice coupe.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Today :brentil: my problem is the gas cap that just failed!
Would not 'latch', just click!

However my friendly hometown GM Dealer had a replacement :thumbs:

:cheers: :party:

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
My comments are within the quotes, in red.

1) Hard to see when backing up Yes, very
2) Dumbass cup holder Never use it anyway
3) Roof too low Not for me
4) No place to put the roof I wish it were welded on. I never remove it.
5) Gauges too small to read Yup, and installed in deep, dark wells!
6) No place to store anything Used to that with many of my traditional sports cars
7) Can't reach the power window buttons I have no problem reaching them

1) I'm at a loss for the reason to remove U-Joints from the drive shaft, in favor of ( 2 ) RUBBER RINGS. Knowing owners will increase their Horse Power and traction performances.
Knowing owners would know that Rotoflex joints in driveshafts have a long history - many Lotus models, my older Lamborghini etc. There is no power loss associated with that and there is no necessity for a conventional U joint or CV joint when both ends of the shaft bolt to things that are secured in one place on the chassis.
2) Location of control switches in door panels. See above
3) Access to oil filter cap. Remove the silly looking engine cover and you have no problem accessing the oil filler - plus you get to see the engine!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My comments are within the quotes, in red.
I'm curious about the comment about removing the engine cover(s).

Is there any benefit to keeping them on?

Are they just there so all that "enginey stuff" doesn't scare female buyers off?

Or are they cool to have 'cuz you can paint'em to match the car or chrome'em or air brush'em or.....?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
They are ostensibly there for sound deadening, but I much prefer to be able to see my engine when I open the engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3) Roof too low

By the way, what I meant was that the window opening was too low/short. If I could stick my big German potato head out the window easier(or at all), then backing up wouldn't be nearly as hard.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts