Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes,

apparently, we decided to purchase a second impractical 2-seat car, built on a carline that is being discontinued, in a plant that permanently closes next month, with a nameplate that will not exist next year, from a bankrupt automotive company.

Wow, that sounds pretty crazy when I put it that way.

Nevertheless, with the scarcity of Coupes and inability to order any, we decided that now is the very narrow window. We did not necessarily want to buy another car, but I thought we would pursue it and if it worked out then it worked out. If not, then no biggies, life goes on. All we could do is try.

The car had to be non-negotiable "Wicked - Ruby Red Met." No reason to compromise - walk away if it wasn't what you want. This one was going to be Jodi, my wife's car.

Some things had to happen first, though. We needed a garage space to park the new arrival - a space occupied by a race car.

Ever try to GIVE AWAY a race car in today's economic climate? Especially when you tell prospective buyers they have to take EVERYTHING that goes with it - wheels, engines, interior parts, etc.?

But, we trudge on.

Ever try to buy a car from a dealership when they have been told the one car they have is the ONLY example of said car they will ever get - no more 2010 opportunity? Yeah, that works well for negotiating the price.

Now, try buying it for GM-S employee pricing.

And yet, we trudge on.

Luckily, several opportunities came together - a buyer came along and gave us a fair price to take the racecar off our hands. Bonus: they could come get the car the weekend, and would pay cash. Double Bonus: it is a friend of ours that we raced with back in the day at Waterford Hills. Triple Bonus: the purchaser's brother-in-law is a friend of mine from college, a fellow Fiero enthusiast, and used to be Chief Tech Inspector at Waterford Hills after we raced there in the mid-90's. It's like the old racecar came full circle.

Searching at dealers resulted in several dead ends - either dealers that wanted to hang on to their last example, wouldn't give GMS, or tried to sell me a $3000 wax and undercoat job.

Frustrating, to say the least.

Then, I checked our company used listing, and lo and behold, there it was - a Wicked Solstice GXP Coupe, spec'd out the way the wife wanted it, right down to the tranny.

We tagged it, and being company used it is a very good price (called PEP3), and there also happens to be a total of $3000 off the price in incentives (including the GM Loyalty/appreciation of 2/3 of that incentive).

It is company used - 11,000 miles, but I know who drove it (turned out to be a person at Wilmington).

Jury is still out on the extra factory installed item that was not on the manifest but ended up on the car:

that would be the white stripe. I like it, the wife is not sold on it - but it IS factory installed, and the car is definitely a one of a kind - or at least a few of a kind, anyway.

This is of a batch of cars built before the sequential VINs started after ship to commerce (VIN 9Y000001 is the starting point for those cars). The car was built for captured test fleet usage, and there are other usages for such a vehicle, as in magazine cars, special event cars for Pontiac, etc.

There looks like there will be less than 1500 of these cars total that will be built before Wilmingon shuts down, but depending on which dealer you talk to, it may be only 300 LOL!

So,

-Decided to start looking on Monday
-Found and tagged the car on Tuesday
-Got the call from the system on Wed - had to get it either before Friday or wait until July. (when the system might automatically unassign me, or something happen where they change the system, or the shutdown fouls things up. But is it possible for a dealer to get a car moved from 10 hours away within a day or two?)
-(yes), because they picked up the car on Thursday,
-Friday, it arrived at the dealer
-Saturday, the race car was sold and garage reorganization began
-Sunday, just barely got the garage opened up and cleaned to accept the new arrival,
-Monday afternoon - pick the car up.

Whew!

So, here is a picture of our new addition: "Wicked"

Attachments

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts
Well it's meant to be, everything falling into place like that! Congrats, it's a looker, white stripe and all :dthumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
WOW!!! I am impressed.....I just can't commit to another car right now......

Congratulations to you and Jodi! NOW what car will you drive to Nationals???:huh:
:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Yes,

apparently, we decided to purchase a second impractical 2-seat car, built on a carline that is being discontinued, in a plant that permanently closes next month, with a nameplate that will not exist next year, from a bankrupt automotive company.

Wow, that sounds pretty crazy when I put it that way.

Nevertheless, with the scarcity of Coupes and inability to order any, we decided that now is the very narrow window. We did not necessarily want to buy another car, but I thought we would pursue it and if it worked out then it worked out. If not, then no biggies, life goes on. All we could do is try.

The car had to be non-negotiable "Wicked - Ruby Red Met." No reason to compromise - walk away if it wasn't what you want. This one was going to be Jodi, my wife's car.

Some things had to happen first, though. We needed a garage space to park the new arrival - a space occupied by a race car.

Ever try to GIVE AWAY a race car in today's economic climate? Especially when you tell prospective buyers they have to take EVERYTHING that goes with it - wheels, engines, interior parts, etc.?

But, we trudge on.

Ever try to buy a car from a dealership when they have been told the one car they have is the ONLY example of said car they will ever get - no more 2010 opportunity? Yeah, that works well for negotiating the price.

Now, try buying it for GM-S employee pricing.

And yet, we trudge on.

Luckily, several opportunities came together - a buyer came along and gave us a fair price to take the racecar off our hands. Bonus: they could come get the car the weekend, and would pay cash.

Searching at dealers resulted in several dead ends - either dealers that wanted to hang on to their last example, wouldn't give GMS, or tried to sell me a $3000 wax and undercoat job.

Frustrating, to say the least.

Then, I checked our company used listing, and lo and behold, there it was - a Wicked Solstice GXP Coupe, spec'd out the way the wife wanted it, right down to the tranny.

We tagged it, and being company used it is a very good price (called PEP3), and there also happens to be a total of $3000 off the price in incentives (including the GM Loyalty/appreciation of 2/3 of that incentive).

It is company used - 11,000 miles, but I know who drove it (turned out to be a person at Wilmington).

Jury is still out on the extra factory installed item that was not on the manifest but ended up on the car:

that would be the white stripe. I like it, the wife is not sold on it - but it IS factory installed, and the car is definitely a one of a kind - or at least a few of a kind, anyway.

This is of a batch of cars built before the sequential VINs started after ship to commerce (VIN 9Y000001 is the starting point for those cars). The car was built for captured test fleet usage, and there are other usages for such a vehicle, as in magazine cars, special event cars for Pontiac, etc.

There looks like there will be less than 1500 of these cars total that will be built before Wilmingon shuts down, but depending on which dealer you talk to, it may be only 300 LOL!

So,

-Decided to start looking on Monday
-Found and tagged the car on Tuesday
-Got the call from the system on Wed - had to get it either before Friday or wait until July. (when the system might automatically unassign me, or something happen where they change the system, or the shutdown fouls things up. But is it possible for a dealer to get a car moved from 10 hours away within a day or two?)
-(yes), because they picked up the car on Thursday,
-Friday, it arrived at the dealer
-Saturday, the race car was sold and garage reorganization began
-Sunday, just barely got the garage opened up and cleaned to accept the new arrival,
-Monday afternoon - pick the car up.

Whew!

So, here is a picture of our new addition: "Wicked"
So...the next question......are you bringing it to the nationals:)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,453 Posts
Wow! Can you say everything came together at once?

Congratulations! It's a beauty, with or without the stripe. :dthumbs:

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,732 Posts
Wow, that's gorgeous. I say keep the stripe! It's a very rare factory option, and it looks great on the Wicked coupe....

·
Registered
517 Posts
That is hot! Smokin' hot..

Keep the stripes for a couple reasons. I don't know how into modding up a car you are into girlie girl but I will make some points to help you decide whether to keep the stipe or not.

To keep it:
Its a factory option, on a factory built and used car.
Its going to be rare
It is well fitted and color balanced making it stand out and always will be a conversation starter.
It might have been used in advertising or something of that sort since its a GM used car.
Its going to be a very rare car down the line. The coupe will be rare the numbers are just not there, but having that stripe as a factory option will help it hold value down the line if you decide to hold on to it for the long haul.
Girls can drive fast cars, and the stripe helps you be seen as you are rolling up on the slow pokes in the fast lane :devil:

Not keeping it:
It makes it stand out to the police.
But what difference does it make, your car is already the "ticket me red" color anyways, might as well go all the way! ;)

·
Administrator
9,243 Posts
Congrats! :cheers:

I had a feeling that it would be Jodi's car ... super color btw!

Which one gets to make the trip to CO ... oh wait, do you have time to put a hitch on the coupe? :lol:

See ya in a couple of weeks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW!!! I am impressed.....I just can't commit to another car right now......

Congratulations to you and Jodi! NOW what car will you drive to Nationals???:huh:
:cool:
Oh, that would be Flash. He has the tow bar installed and works with the trailer already.

We do not currently intend to remove the "removable but not stowable" panel on Wicked, so we plan that she lives her life mostly as a true Coupe. How could you experience the true mountain experience in anything less than a convertible?

LOL

·
Administrator
9,243 Posts
How could you experience the true mountain experience in anything less than a convertible?
That sums it up quite nicely! :yesnod:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is hot! Smokin' hot..

Keep the stripes for a couple reasons. I don't know how into modding up a car you are into girlie girl but I will make some points to help you decide whether to keep the stipe or not.

To keep it:
Its a factory option, on a factory built and used car.
Its going to be rare
It is well fitted and color balanced making it stand out and always will be a conversation starter.
It might have been used in advertising or something of that sort since its a GM used car.
Its going to be a very rare car down the line. The coupe will be rare the numbers are just not there, but having that stripe as a factory option will help it hold value down the line if you decide to hold on to it for the long haul.
Girls can drive fast cars, and the stripe helps you be seen as you are rolling up on the slow pokes in the fast lane :devil:

Not keeping it:
It makes it stand out to the police.
But what difference does it make, your car is already the "ticket me red" color anyways, might as well go all the way! ;)
Good points.

I know the exact usage of the car during its service. It was driven by the Launch Manager for the Coupe at Wilmington Assembly.

If you can, buy a used car that was driven by someone at the assembly plant that made it. LOL

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whacky musings.

This also seems to resolve or partially clarify another issue/discussion we have had - the "gender" connotation of Flash.

When I got Flash, it seemed that it was a "she" or "her". Jodi was adamant that it was a "he" or "him", and I resolved it as "neutral" and began referring to Flash as "it".

Now, CLEARLY, Wicked is a "she". Don't ask me why, it is just a feeling. By contrast, it seems now that Flash, though I have gotten into the habit of referring to "it", has resolved itself toward the male end of the spectrum.

Weird that these things have personalities, huh?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Being a Wicked owner I've said I would NEVER have white stripes but silver instead. But...Seeing your Coupe with the white stripe huuuuu...... Na I will not do white on a vert.

Your car looks great! Congrads to you and the little wifer.....

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a graphic, painter, airbrust artist, all rolled up into one guy. I have lots of ideas and he sugests black Hemi stipes? Na...... I want something that will stand out.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Great Story. I wont be alive to see it, but in 40 years that baby will be at Mecum fetching a quarter mil(today's dollars)!

·
Registered
702 Posts
...we decided to purchase a second impractical 2-seat car, built on a carline that is being discontinued, in a plant that permanently closes next month, with a nameplate that will not exist next year, from a bankrupt automotive company.
True, funny and sad...all at the same time. :lol: :cryin:

·
Super Moderator
16,287 Posts
Being a Wicked owner I've said I would NEVER have white stripes but silver instead. But...Seeing your Coupe with the white stripe huuuuu...... Na I will not do white on a vert.

Your car looks great! Congrads to you and the little wifer.....

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a graphic, painter, airbrust artist, all rolled up into one guy. I have lots of ideas and he sugests black Hemi stipes? Na...... I want something that will stand out.
You can make black stripes over red stand out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I love it, especially with the white stripe. What a collectors item!!!!!!! BTW, how does the handling compare between Flash (roadster) vs the coupe (full body construction)? Have you noticed a big difference?

Re the roadster, I know that installing the 3/8" race back bone brace has really helped stiffen the car, but I would think that the coupe should be much better yet.

Enjoy the new addition and take good care of "HER" (much better than an "it").

·
5,641 Posts
Looks excellent, I think.

For anyone that is unsure, think about another 2009 that Wilmington turned out, driven by one of their employees, and on display at MECCA III.

That of course was the Mean with the Blue stripes.

Doesn't that make Wicked with White look even better.

As you mention the stripe was not on the manifest, you may want think about contacting the Launch Manager and getting his story of the car on paper.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Hey Flash's Owner...how do I find a "Used Coupe"?...thanks:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts